Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I'm trying eConnect for the first time, renting a Wimax WiFi hot-spot. Ordered a couple of weeks in advance to get the best discount. Working OK so far. On a non-SIM carrier here in the US, so a SIM rental wouldn't work anyway.
Microsoft also now allows you to use Skype minutes via a number of public Wifi spots (that are otherwise non-free). I usually use Line for chatting with friends anyway, and I get a dumb-phone from work for local calls while in Japan. On the plus side, leaving your phone in airplane mode (WiFi on) does wonders for battery life...

There are better solutions that Skype Minutes and here are my top recommended apps with reasons as to why:

1) Convoi -- the app is actually really good unlike many other VoIP apps (Ex. TextMe, TextNow, TextPlus etc),
- It provides you with a FREE phone # (US and Canadian #'s available)
- Unlimited Talk + Text over Cellular Data / WiFi to US and Canada #'s.
- Costs $0
- Call Forwarding to your Primary #
- Conference Calling
- What I love about this app is that you can forward the calls from your Convoi # to your primary # if needed, so doesn't matter what # people call you at when you are back home, you can still be reached and it is not limited like any other App, it is a true VoIP that costs $0 and allows you call any US/Canada # and Unlimited Texting. Been testing it out for months and used it while I was in Australia. I had forwarded my cell # to Convoi # actually so my phone rang regardless and only thing I missed out on was Text messages to my primary cell # but that is no big deal.

2) Ring.To
- allows you to make unlimited calls / texts from WiFi / Cellular Data (I had ported in my AT&T # from when I was living in the states so that it would be with me forever rather than loosing it, so at times its cheaper for people to call this # of mine instead of my Canadian #).
- Can forward calls and as a bonus can forward text / sms messages as well to any US / Canadian #.
- Allows you port in / port out large amount of #'s if you want to for some reason keep / hold onto many #'s.

3) Vonage Mobile -- if you activate it once using your US #, you can call any US # over WiFi / Cellular Data as it gives you Unlimited calling (No Texting -- only available to do so with other vonage users)

4) Google hangouts/Voice -- Unlimited calling / Texting to US & Canada #'s -- I find it a little bit messy app(s) to use compared to Convoi and Ring.To

and the list can go on however these are the top I recommend, basically there is absolutely no need to pay for minutes from anywhere.

Last edited:

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
please do tell what service you use. neither rogers nor bell offer anything even close to that rate.

also, many people mention getting local sims when traveling. don't know how it is in other countries but in Germany you can't get a local sim unless you are a resident of Germany. I had to ask my German friend to get one for me when I was in Germany last summer. it's pretty cheap but the reception and data speed are terrible.
Yep, you need a German address, but you can get LTE on the Pay as you Go here. Don't know what provider your friend put you on, but mostly reception & Data speed is no problem.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Too expensive. Good for those who are willing to pay for the convenience, that's all.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
great first step.

yes, the actual pricing of this 1st out of the gate is a joke. to be sure.
the 1st tier carriers themselves do not want this kind of built-in flexibility.

but there are a couple of things going on at the same time with this new release.

1 apple has begun offering carrier consolidators (such as GigSky) a business opportunity. pricing wlll eventually be a race to the bottom. even if the 1st tier carriers don't want users to have this kind of flexibility it has now been started. watch it evolve rapidly from here on.

2 GigSky's plans are so ridiculous that it will get so many other competitors into the game very quickly. there are now so many regional consolidators/shared network plans for intra-europe and intra-SE asia

3 next step: voice. data is one thing. but if and when this is usable with a mobile number that can be retained as long as you have that carrier or consolidator on a monthly pre-paid plan, eventually there will surface budget plans that will be competitive with having a separate SIM for each country you are visiting frequently now. can't wait.

wallman

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Canada
Thanks - where'd you get the SIM at? I'll be in Oz too and will need a SIM. Hoping I can grab one at the Sydney Airport.
I was in Sydney last October and you have your choice of carriers when you exit the terminal. I picked Vodaphone and got the AU$40 prepaid starter plan. At the airport it was discounted 50% and I only paid AU$20. This was for my phone, so they may have similar discounts on iPad plans to purchase at the airport as well.

It would be worth your while to check them out seeing as your are already there.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Yep, you need a German address, but you can get LTE on the Pay as you Go here. Don't know what provider your friend put you on, but mostly reception & Data speed is no problem.
it was o2. I used it in several cities - Cologne, Bonn, Frankfurt, Karlsruhe for several weeks and the reception was mostly quite poor. perhaps I was just unlucky. I don't remember why we chose this particular provider (we bought the sim card at some random store) but I think it may have been partly because of the sim card size. I do remember that I had to cut it rather carefully to squeeze it into my iphone 5s which needs nano sim. even after I trimmed it it fit with difficulty because it was quite a bit thicker than the original sim card I got from Apple. but I don't think any of this would affect reception quality.

fredz85

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
So how much does this Apple SIM kit cost when buying in an Apple Retail Store? I can't find that anywhere.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203089
"If your iPad doesn't come with an Apple SIM, you can buy an Apple SIM kit at an Apple Retail Store in the US, UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Turkey.
Apple SIM part number: MJVV2LL/A, MJVV2B/A, or MJVV2TU/A"

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Well worth it for the convenience.

When I'm traveling in Europe, it is such a hassle to find a local phone store that's open and competent. Often they give you a card that won't work right away (or at all). They fleece you like crazy. The last time I was in England I spent $100 on Sim cards for a 2-day stay over in London and spent most of the time with no service at all. Meanwhile my friend was using AT&T roaming charges. I asked him if it was expensive, and he simply replied, "sure - but what else can you do?" (Typical roaming charges are $2/min, don't know how data works.)

I don't think you can really compare the local prices of Sim cards for an out of town traveler, unless they have friends living nearby that really know the phone companies well.

The bottom line is a vacation costs thousands of dollars - spending $50 to land in the airport with a working data plan is priceless. :)

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
please do tell what service you use. neither rogers nor bell offer anything even close to that rate. .

Data is from AT&T and you have several option (from 15 to 30 $ with no renewal), beside going first to any Apple Store and asking for a free AT&T or T-Mobile sim : )
They also have 2GB per 25$ a month. The sim expires but I never change it: I just start from my iPad and sign in into my account and choose the plan I like it.
Look at T-Mobile too they have several options on the fly too.

commodorepet

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2013
There are better solutions that Skype Minutes and here are my top recommended apps with reasons as to why:

1) Convoi
2) Ring.To
3) Vonage Mobile
4) Google hangouts/Voice -

and the list can go on however these are the top I recommend, basically there is absolutely no need to pay for minutes from anywhere.
WTF is this, keyword triggered spam!? None of those work in the case described, business/travel in Japan. The Skype minutes works even when you have no cell phone connection, and haven't paid for WiFi access, i.e Microsoft has made an arrangement with the paid WiFi hotspot providers around Japan that Skype calls can go through without being subscribed, presumably by paying them a small percentage of the skype minutes cost.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
WTF is this, keyword triggered spam!? None of those work in the case described, business/travel in Japan. The Skype minutes works even when you have no cell phone connection, and haven't paid for WiFi access, i.e Microsoft has made an arrangement with the paid WiFi hotspot providers around Japan that Skype calls can go through without being subscribed, presumably by paying them a small percentage of the skype minutes cost.

I c, I have traveled to many other places besides Japan and I've had to Pay for WiFi using my Skype credit so I didn't know this "exclusive" deal where Skype calls go through...anyway it must be a Japan only thing because in many european places and in north america Skype calls aren't an exception.

Many US airports don't offer Free WiFi and same goes for many european/asian Airports or they offer very limited timed connection.

The Apps I listed do everything Skype calling does but for free, without a need for subscription and only need ANY WiFi/Data connection so I have found them handy when compared to Skype in my situations so far.

I don't see the point in paying Skype for minutes or paying their $2.99/month subscription because of those apps.

Grace 1978

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2015
London
This is really expensive- you also have to buy one bundle per country, £8 for 40MB in France works out to be 20p per MB and it has a 3 day expiry I have a globalgig SIM card which I use at home in the UK and when I travel- It works out to be less than half the price and you can choose low pay per MB or a bundle with a 30 day expiry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.