apple software not working

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by janey, May 15, 2003.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

please help i'm getting to the point where i'm getting very desperate but i haven't yet reached the point where i call applecare and start screaming thank god...
    First of all this problem i've been having started yesterday on my AluBook, when Safari v73 wasn't working (kept giving me the "The application Safari has unexpectedly quit" message). So today I downloaded the v74 update and it gave me the same message. So I'm thinking maybe if I delete the prefs for Safari it would be fine again just like the last three times this has happened. Well I deleted the prefs and virtually everything, Safari still doesn't work, and for some strange reason iChat refuses to work. An hour ago I opened every single app in my Applications folder and iCal, iChat, Keynote, iTunes and FCE all unexpectedly quit. I've restarted the laptop, ran fsck, zapped the pram and now I'm thinking about reinstalling Jaguar because those programs still refuse to work. Any thoughts or tips on what i should do?

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

did u repair permisiions? maybe reinstallin' jag' would be ok...

3. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

yeah i repaired the permissions too.
    *currently tearing hair out*

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

You may need to reinstall everything again.

But let's do a checksum first.

#1: Do you have hair left sticking out of your skull?

#2: Realize that first and foremost, Safari is currently a BETA browser. By using a beta product, you take the risk of harming/corrupting your files and any or all parts of your system. Calling up Applecare and complaining about what Safari has done to your computer will give you somewhere around ZERO justification for your mind set.

ANY beta product, whether it is from Apple, or from Shmuck Incorporated, has the tendency to cause serious damage to your computer. Consider yourself very lucky if you have absolutely no problems running the beta. (I have even yet to see that.)

I hate to address this in tough love, über, but this is something most computer users consider about any beta product. The safest thing to do is not use the beta, even if it's from Apple. By using any beta software, there is the change that a program clitch will conflict with your system or cause worse damage (such as a loss of human hair after continued usage).

So I would suggest cleaning up the fibers you pulled out and reattaching them and reinstalling the entire system.

I'm also thinking you needed to reinstall your system already. I'm making this implication because very often the more software you install on your computer, especially if you have a lot of betas installed, the more a catastrophic beta conflict is likely to occur. You mentioned FCE, iCal, iChat, Keynote, and iTunes. When iTunes crashes, you know you didn't just step in a pile of kitty liter.

So be safe and reinstall your system software from scratch. Back up all of your data and take what you have learned (i.e. your experience) for granted.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Have you tried any 3rd party disk utilities? Diskwarrior, Norton Utilities, Drive 10, Techtool Pro 4?

6. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

i'm not worrying about the data, I've been backing up all my stuff since 1995 (when i got my first winwoes PC).
    Safari, until now, was absolutely wonderful. Honestly, most of the betas that I had installed on the AluBook were just fine.
    It's just that I'm starting to get ticked off because I really dread reinstalling all the software.
    thanx for your help! i guess i'll start reinstalling jag now...*cries and pulls out even more hair*

edit: i really need to do this now...now adium, photoshop and terminal refuse to work *sigh*

7. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

That's the strangest thing. The EXACT same thing happened to my version of Safari yesterday after I talked to übergeek on iChat. However, a simple restart fixed mine and it's been working ever since. No other apps were affected.

It sounds like über needs to reinstall Jaguar, since she's tried just about everything else and the problem seems to be getting worse.

8. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

holy crap you've gotta be kidding. in the beginning i thought it was the limited-time thing, which would have sorta made sense because v74 came out today, but then obviously it wasn't because almost all the apps were affected by whatever it was and it would make no sense for the expiration date for v73 to be the day before v74 comes out, that's just stupid and not all people can d/l the new version right after it comes out.
    update: i'm currently reinstalling jag on my alubook *cries*
    now i need to go and find my software cd's and serials, but after taking a look at the moon at 8:13pm PST today. Complete lunar eclipse baby! :p

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i know the answer, you claim to have so many macs, just use a different one.

10. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

two laptops, iBook and AluBook. iBook's ****ed up so i need to use the AluBook.
    Besides, it's working fine now :)

11. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Bit harsh? I presume you are speaking from a negative experience?

On the other side, I have loads of obscuro beta stuff from Schmuck Incorporated to Apple. I think going through Versiontracker and other reviews etc looking for recommended betas is all part of the fun of being a Mac user. Cos as all PC people wil tell you, you cant get software for a Mac, can you? Wrong. And besides, companies need users to give these beta offerings a go so they can be developed. OSX?

Although much of the beta stuff I have tried gets trashed, it's invariably because either the file didnt download properly and I couldnt open it, or more usully, I just didn't see any advantage to using them - do I really need an infinite number of clipboards, or the ability to load all my data into a floating robot? Betas for OSX seem to be very well written as a rule, and bugs seem more related to lack of features or CPU hogging. And finished, pricey sw from the likes of Norton can reap more havoc than anything beta.

I dont suggest loading Rootwrecker Alpha into your working partition, but I have a small play partition where I try everything dangerous out, and if after a couple of weeks of using them - in tandem with all the other apps and utiliies from god knows where - if there are no apparent wierdnesses, and they are useful, they get transferred to my daily partition. iPasteboard. Camino, Safari, Safari Enhancer, iVisit, Transparent Dock are all doing me a great service. Going this route I cant believe I'm the luckiest maccer in existence, but my partitons seem to be getting tighter and better functioning as I come across add-ons to complement OSX - and only one kernel panic in 5 months which was me being a dumb *** with hard ware.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It sure sounds like a single critical file or directory got trashed. You said that even Terminal didn't work so it had to be something pretty basic. Too bad we'll probably never know what it was, since it's possible that a simple fix at Unix level might have been all that was required.

I suspect that the lunar eclipse had something to do with the problems on your AluBook. When debugging, you should always be suspicious of two simultaneous unusual events, even if they seem unrelated at first. I wonder if this means it was also related to the Lakers losing a playoff series?

13. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

SPURS WIN! SPURS WIN!

but can the Mavs beat the "other" Cali team? that would be most sweet! too bad the Stars couldn't handle the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. :mad:

(sorry for the off-topicness. but, SPURS WIN!!!!!) :D

14. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Re: apple software not working

Yesterday, when I was using Safari v73 is just quit, but an "unexpectedly quit" message didn't pop up. so i opened safari back up and it worked fine. A little while later, I downloaded v74, and its works just fine now.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

>ANY beta product, whether it is from Apple, or from Shmuck Incorporated, has the tendency to cause serious damage to your computer. Consider yourself very lucky if you have absolutely no problems running the beta. (I have even yet to see that.) (KC)

>Bit harsh? I presume you are speaking from a negative experience? (BillyBoy)

I am speaking from a few of my [somewhat insignificant] negative experiences, and from a catastrophic experience shadowfax0 had when running a beta of Jaguar many months ago. He installed a program and a hack for changing the "beach ball" cursor, but the installation failed. His entire GUI was corrput and he had to reinstall all of his software to fix the problem.

As for versions of Safari, stick with what works best off all the betas you have tried. Not all Safari betas are alike, and, as a result, not all Safari betas have equal tendencies to f*** your computer.

If you want to risk it, download the beta, install it and use it before you read reviews and user comments about the same beta. By doing this, you can more easily be screwed.

16. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

i doubt it doctor q.
    anyway, it's nice and fresh now...all i need to do is to clean the physical part of it...eew fingerprints all over the beautiful screen...:\

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Re: apple software not working

Odd, that very thing happened to me yesterday... as i was downloading the new version, but before the installation started, safari just goes away. totally weird. i just ignored it, since i would have had to quit it anyway soon... still...

weird... it *always* gives me an error when it crashes...

pnw

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: apple software not working

same with me. i can't confirm it was before it was installing though... i would imagine it has something to do with needing to close the current version to toss the new one in... too much coincidence otherwise. that said, i'll keep an eye on it when i update my machine (on my parents' now)

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

you make it sound like using an alubook is a bad thing or something. I would die for one ;).

20. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

for project presentations at school, an alubook is bad because it's a tad too big and heavy and everyone pays more attention to the alubook than the presentation itself :p

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What's wrong with that? You get to show off your equipment, you create more drooling Mac wannabes among your classmates, and you don't have to work as hard to prepare a good presentation.

22. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

hmmm you're right :D
    hehe i guess i should consider using the AluBook...but i just got a kp and i forgot to save the presentation and movie...for the past three hours *cries* :rolleyes: