Apple Software RAID Versatility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slughead, Sep 12, 2004.

1. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

OK so I bought this two ATA/100 -> Firewire 800 drive enclosure a while back.

I had the thing setup to just mount the two drives separately and then use diskutility's software RAID-0 functionality to link them on my mac.

Recently, I thought it'd be a swell idea to finally upgrade the firmware, after having problems recently with large files.

The process failed. Now, the bridge-board is effectively dead. It won't be detected on my mac or my PC, and I'm getting a replacement in the mail made by a different manufacturer.

I have lots of data on the two drives (which were linked through software RAID), my question is: will a different bridge-board made by a different manufacturer screw up an Apple software RAID-0 setup?

Btw, for those of you who are wondering, my bridgeboard was a (custom, I think) http://www.cooldrives.com Initio 2430L RAID-SPAN Dual ATA-100 -> 1394b. I bought an Oxford 912 to replace it (the new one will have RAID-0 built in so it'll be an upgrade).

2. slughead thread starter macrumors 68030

slughead

Uh I got the thing to mount again (it involved duct tape and hammers), but if someone could still answer my question, I'm still interested.

thx