Apple soliciting RAW photos to assist in improving Aperture ...

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 2, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: Apple Software
    Link: Apple soliciting RAW photos to assist in improving Aperture
    Description:: In an effort to improve the RAW conversion quality provided by Aperture (and other applications that rely on the same operating system code for those conversions), Apple issued a call for RAW files from professional photographers earlier this month.

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Good idea. The RAW export/import is quite possibly the worst part of Aperture.
  3. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2004
    There was a similar request from Apple for another group AFAIR, but it seems this has now gone 'global', I emailed this article to my pro photographer, because like the previous poster says, RAW conversion is not as good as it could be, although the conversion package my mate uses costs the same as Aperture, and that's all it does.:eek:
  4. macrumors 6502a

May 9, 2005
    somewhere outside your window...
    "helping the company spruce up its RAW file processing"

Licence Adobe's Camera RAW, perhaps? :D
  5. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    Maybe I'm just not understanding this issue but can't apple afford a digital camera that takes RAW photos? Why do they need others to supply these files?
  6. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Apple probably already has enough of their own images and wants to get more neutral-party field samples. If not only for technical reasons it's good PR that might help Aperture and Mac sales.