Apple sould have real ThinkPad stories too!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dorqiekat, Mar 22, 2005.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

I have read one macrumors member posted here before that he has his ibook on the floor and had a car backed over it accidentally. The ibook survived the accident with a cracked LCD. Couldn't really find that thread but I think some members can verify this

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Real stories huh? LOL. They may be true but those movies, while well done, are hilarious. "YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE!"

*rolls over laughing*

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Meh, that iBook story sounds awfully similar to many different iBook stories that have been on the net. Its always the same story --- car backs up and over an iBook, and the iBook still survives.

And that IBM story with the fire was funny. A bit over-the-top if I remember correctly. I like how he kept using his IBM for a while after it got eff'ed up. ;)

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I think I heard that story on TechTV a while back.

6. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Someone should make an outrageous video of their Mac surviving something...

"Dear Apple,
    I have a story to tell you, and If it had not happened to me, I'd never have believed it. So it all started when I was at the bank with my trusty iBook. Then all of a sudden, we were being held up by a bunch of gangsters that wanted all the money. So afraid for my iBook, (not my life) I held it to my chest. One of the gunman screamed at me to give him the iBook, naturally I refused. Then he shot me! It was a miracle! The bullet hit my iBook and I didn't feel a thing. Later that day, I took my iBook to the genius bar at a local apple store. The tech pushed the power button and... *chimes* I couldn't believe it. It powered up! And, importantly it had all my data!

Thanks Apple.

My name is Kat and my iBook saved my life."

:p :rolleyes:

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The "car backed over the laptop and it survived" story is about as old and hackneyed as the classic "cup holder CD-ROM tray confusion" story. :rolleyes:

Seriously, how many people have laid their laptop down on the driveway behind one of their car's wheels, let alone forgot it was there and ran it over? I'm sure it happened at some point but it pops up again and again with suspicious regularity.

That is a funny link though. :D "Don't try this at home".

I remember reading a news article about how an army ruggedized laptop took a 7.62x39mm (AK-47) bullet or some shrapnel in Iraq and survived. A laptop should be dense enough to stop a non-magnum pistol bullet most of the time.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Let' see...

There's that story about the Army photographer with an iPod (either 1G or 2G) featured in MacAddict a while ago.

There's also the oven "baked" PowerBook G4 somewhere online (with photos).

I'm still waiting for a story where a user's iMac G3 saved their life. The cases of those iMacs are made of polycarbonate, which is shatter-proof/bulletproof. "I was sitting in front of my iMac one day when a stray bullet hit the rear of my iMac..."

9. thecow macrumors 6502

One of the employes at my local apple store said that some famous musician (I can't remember who it was) came into the apple store while he was in town. His iBook got run over by the tour bus and he wanted a new laptop. It still worked fine, but he didn't like the big tire marks on it, so he bought a 17 inch PowerBook.