Apple Spent Years Designing iPhone for 'Normal People'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple senior software engineer Greg Christie took the stand today in Apple's second patent trial against Samsung, where he shared some details on the development of the "Slide to Unlock" function Samsung is accused of copying and gave additional details on the development of the original iPhone.

One of Apple's major arguments against Samsung is the fact that developing the iPhone was a serious risk for the company as it was new territory, a point that Christie reiterated in his testimony as he described the three year journey of the iPhone's development (via CNET).

The iPhone went through hundreds of different design tweaks as Apple worked to make the phone function in a way that anyone could understand. The company's focus on simplicity remains to this day, with Apple designing for "normal people," as described by Christie.
    Christie helped develop some of the original iPhone's key features and he is known as the inventor of "Slide to Unlock," a function that prevents the iPhone from being activated accidentally while within a pocket. During his testimony, Christie also detailed the creation of the function (via Re/code), noting that Apple had originally aimed to have the device's screen on at all times.

A screen that was always on proved to be infeasible, with Christie citing an inability to meet power requirements. "We had to resort to a power button," he said, stating that the company was also concerned with "pocket dialing."
    That need resulted in the development of Apple's famous Slide to Unlock function, which Christie testified was an important feature on the phone because it is the first thing a customer sees on the iPhone, both in store and at home.

During this second patent trial, which covers newer devices, Apple was limited to levying just five patents against Samsung, making each one vital to the case. Apple is aiming to prove that each patent is highly valuable to the company and is seeking $2 billion in damages from Samsung.

Greg Christie gave additional details on the development of the original iPhone ahead of the patent trial, which can be found in his March interview with The Wall Street Journal.

Article Link: Apple Spent Years Designing iPhone for 'Normal People'

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

I can agree to this.

3. macrumors 65816

How about for "NON" normal people.:p

4. macrumors 6502

attila

And then they ruined everything with iOS7.

5. macrumors 65816

Windows mobile is available for those people.

6. macrumors 6502

Slide to unlock can eat itself.

It's much better with iOS7 (full screen slide is better than the little slide strip), nearly tolerable, but still annoying.

I disable the lock screen on android tablets. I haven't been arrested and the world hasn't ended.

7. macrumors newbie

none "Normal"

How about a IOS for the none electronically moronic people ??

Personally I think we all should file a class action lawsuit demanding Apple to make a more advanced IOS, we bought into the contract and with the new IOS upgrades we get CRAP for added features. Why the hell can't we put a folder inside a folder ? Why can't I forward my voicemails in a email yet ? on and on and on, YES I know jailbeaking will give me that, but I don't want to waste even more time looking for add-ons that should already come with the latest upgrade.

WTF are the "normal" people they are talking about ?? My mom and dad who don't even know how to program the microwave clock ??

COME ON APPLE, stop assuming the entire world is STUPID !!!!

8. macrumors 68040

tech4all

I'm not normal. I Think Different.

That made me lol :D

9. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

And it was a good thing they did so. Otherwise we'd all be using a stylus and trying to poke at little things on our screen. Not that I didn't enjoy doing that, but you lose the stylus, you have little choice but to get another or try and get the screen to work with the tip of your nails. :p

10. dannyyankou, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

macrumors 601

dannyyankou

And you're still buying their products. Good luck with that lawsuit.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And I definitely agree with the "normal people" statement. That has been their focus ever since Macintosh, and the Apple II.

11. macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Normal people? Have they seen some of the posters on here?

12. macrumors 68030

needfx

I don't feel normal

13. macrumors newbie

sigh...

14. macrumors 68020

There is such thing as software over engineering ...

15. macrumors regular

I think it's fair to say that they taught the world how to use a phone with a touch screen device using skeuomorphism, bulky chrome, and mechanical buttons/switches. Now that we're all familiar with that, let's make use of the extra focus that is gained when peel all of that back and bring forth the information we're actually interested in.

16. macrumors 68020

I found my million $ development idea. I'm going to create an app that automatically filters out all of the 'waaah, I hate iOS7. Boo-hoo." comments.

17. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

You beat me to it!! :D

18. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

So what you're proposing is closing the comments section on MacRumours? ;)

19. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

They ruined it by making it better ?!

20. macrumors regular

Samsung has stolen so many things from the iPhone, they should pay a hefty price.

No fine is going to hurt Samsung enough though, because they already threw money into the game and got a nice chunk of the market share.

21. macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Isnt that for the courts to decide?

22. macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I know how they meant it, but I'm 41 years old and have yet to meet a normal person.

Also, why the hate? I quite like iOS7.

23. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I think many posters here are forgetting that the presentation of the case which is being reported on MacRumors is not intended to appeal to MR's readers, the sole purpose of the rhetoric is to land punches in the minds of the jurors only. Keep this in mind when you've been insulted because you're smarter than 'normal people'.

24. macrumors 6502

tentales

I miss Scott Forstall's voice

Agreed!

Skeuomorphism still has value and was uniquely Apple!

iOS 7 goes along with the crowd and boring flat designs of windows & android platforms. Nothing wrong with that. if you like that you can chose those devices, but Apple has lost a few things, most notably, to think different!

I'm an IT person, but I understand that "normal" people do not want to jailbreak, hack, or constantly re-learn how to operate a device. That's for engineers to tinker with and those that demand "something new" every few months or the phone "sucks".

Usability vs gimmicks is the issue here. To me, the iPhone 4 with iOS 6.1.3 was the pinnacle of design & usability. Much like Snow Leopard was the pinnacle for Mac OS X.

"Normal" people aren't stupid just because they don't know how to program a microwave clock. They just prefer to spend their time different to those that constantly like to tweak and tinker. Steve Jobs understood so well to reign in engineers' wet dreams and channel them into magically fantastic products.

All I essentially want from a smartphone is a) make a phone call, b) listen to music, c) check my calendar, d) read email, e) browse the web, f) set an alarm and g) take the occasional snapshot.

Everything else is gimmicky to me and often a waste of time.

25. macrumors 6502

redscull

Not ruined. But definitely backtracked in areas. Hopefully iOS 8 will be a unilateral step forward. Maybe even as good as iOS 6!

Where's the quote from Tim Cook stating that usability is no longer a goal because they think they've already succeeded in teaching everyone how to use a mobile device? Let's hope Apple never has to acquire new first-time customers or that new people are ever born.