Apple Spokespeople

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jimsowden, Feb 23, 2004.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Is it me, or are the people in apple videos really annoying? Don't get me wrong, the videos are well done, and I have a high respect for production aspects from experience, but any of us Rumerians could do a better job.:D

2. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: Apple Spokespeople

Interesting observation. I like these kind of unique discussions. Rubenstien and Ives are excellent in those videos. But Phil is occasionally very fake and "commercial" sounding. If you are talking about the three more recent videos (iTMS, iLife, and Panther), I would have to agree that these are by far the worst videos ever made. The freak with the tattoos is a disgusting image for Apple to be using. Not only him, but that lunatic in the Panther video is also really artificial sounding as well. And he looks like a girl with that long hair. It's just really degrading to Apple when they use the freakbots for their promotions. I liked it when Apple used a clean, simple, and friendly representations. Now with these stupid, abstract iPod adds, they are at it again. It's too bad.

3. york2600 macrumors regular

Is it me or does Phil act like Balmer a lot. Take out the armpit stains and you have a really similar guy.

4. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Well I haven't seen much of Balmer, but just the name seems similar.

5. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Yes, Phil and IVes are very good. Its just people like OMAR and IAN who really piss me off.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

jonathan ive rocks.
    ever notice how steve jobs is never in the videos :(

7. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Well, that's not entirely true he was in one video once. I downloaded it of the internet not to long ago.

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Would you mind telling me where you got it? I am trying to gather a collection of apple movies.

9. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I got it at:

http://asp.cis.pitt.edu/thinkmov.html

It's called "Apple Store". It's steve jobs introducing them when they first came out I think.

You probably already have that one, because I think it was you who gave me the link. And thanks by the way, I downloaded all of these videos!

10. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

While you're on the subject has anyone seen the tutorial video that comes with Adobe's CS premium, the little Brit (or Aussie) twit's voice and attitude were almost enough to turn me away from it.
    NOT! though I wish a few Americans that speak US English would start doing videos, maybe "Billy" from the OXY-clean infomercials :>{}

I can visualize it now.........

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Re: Re: Apple Spokespeople

The "Freak" is a major icon/music expert at MTV. That is the reason they used him. They wanted to show someone with "cred" "pimpin'" the iPod and iTMS.

I miss the old commercials with the Father and son, and the Father is trying to get his new CD Rom to work, and has to edit a bunch of files and fiddle with Dip-Switches. And the kid leaves and says he's going to a friends house, and his dad asks why. The kid says his friend has a Macintosh, and then the commercial says something about it actually working.

I'd like to see commercials that are less bland. No more white backgrounds, have people in real situations being helped by switching to Mac. No testimonials, just true, even comical, action. Like the recient NexTel commercials with the laptop self-destructing.

Idea 1:

How about a son with a new DVD but his sister is monopolizing the TV, so he goes to his PC to watch it. He puts in the disk... nothing happens. He opens up the DVD player, nothing happens, he reboots nothing happens, then Windows has a BOSD. He then gets on the phone to a friend and asks if he wants to come over to watch a movie. The friend agrees, and then the kid says, "Bring your Mac with you." (Priceless)

Idea 2:

Guy doing research for a work project. Surfing the web with IE in XP. Goes to one site and is suddenly innodated with Pop-up Ads. He trys to shut one down and 2 pop in their place. He gets sooo frustrated he slides the PC off the table into the Trash. Show him with a new iMac or PowerMac. Going to the same site with Safari, no pop-ups, get presentation done. Show guy getting a promotion. (Excellent)

Idea 3:

Show a kid playing a game (Elite Forces 2) on a PC. The game is slowing down, becoming pixelated. He yells "Dad". The dad trys a few things, upgrades the ram, replaces the video card. etc. Show father dropping the PC out the window into the dumpster. Show dad setting up new PowerMac. Kid plays game full screen on 23" HD, with creature speakers. Mom comes up and says, "The new computer is so fast" the dad replies, " I know, I learned the only way to accelerate a PC is at 9.8 m/s/s (meters per second per second)" (Excellent joke, sorry I stole it)

Idea 4:

Show user opening an e-mail. The e-mail has a virus that starts to delete files. She calls her friend the "Computer Geek" and she/he suggests she get a Mac, no Viruses (Computer Geek could be a Chick with a lot of Macs, even some XServes) on Mac. Gets iMac, opens same e-mail, virus comes out, and the Mac Face eats it. Smiles. (Would be funny and true)

Just a couple of my ideas,

TEG

12. alphaq619 macrumors member

I also agree that Omar should go. At maniacalrage.net, there is a hilarious post on the Panther video, which he is in. The final picture is the best. Or worst, whichever way you look at it.

13. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Apple Spokespeople

Well, I don't know how many people are going to make that connection, but it's better to have no impact at all than a negative impact. So I still say the "freak" needs to go.