Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Are you guys seriously buying this?

Some one vaguely tells a "reporter" about a 'possible' redesign and you give it credit? For something that is over a year off.

What happens if there is a delay in required parts? GPU or CPU delays? Apple giving info on something they cannot be sure will even be ready on time is complete rubbish.

Who knows what to believe anymore.

----------

if "designs" also includes cases this will be very interesting. I wonder what possibilities there are with the mac pro case.

Oh I am sure they could do all sorts of things. Remove Ethernet, firewire, ODD, add mobile GPU, make the case a bit thinner.. No, wait...

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Man, Apple got scared. Having them admit even that much about a year-off product is a huge, huge change for them.

No it isn't. Apple used to announce products well in advance of their ship date.

In this case they are not revolutionizing anything that the rest of the computer world isn't already utilizing that needs to be kept secret. It won't be touch screen or have a retina display or have integrated Siri microphones. It should just have the latest components and standards that the Pro users want. The same components and standards that have already been adopted by other desktop machines.

h0mi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
2013 is a long ways away for an Ivy Bridge iMac. :(

I agree. I want an ivy bridge imac soon; I don't need a "redesigned" model, the current FF with Ivy bridge will work just fine. For ***** and giggles, go ahead and ditch the optical disc (why didn't they with the mbps?). Next year? Ugh.

And an ivy bridge mac mini, I'd buy one for an HTPC right now.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Timmie, you lying b***h, I don't believe a word you say. And stop sending me those stupid phones.

Bubba.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
What do you mean?

Means if you are always waiting for the next better upgrade to come out you will always be waiting as one is always around the corner.

There is a reason for the joke that your computer is out dated by the time you get it home.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
Word of advice. If you are waiting on the next big thing in the computing world you will always be waiting as the next big thing is always coming

That's always sound advice that I normally stick to, I've been playing around with pcs since I was 7 (24 now), but I thought with it being the big move from windows to my first mac machine I could wait the 2-3 months, then it became april, then may and now were here, now there is (hopefully) a definitive answer I'm taking the plunge with the current model, I just wonder If apple may backtrack further and perhaps lower the price of the current iMac a little, like the pro?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I don't currently have a ML ready Mac, so I was looking to upgrade when ML drops, but since I am in the market for a desktop, I may wait until next year. Or I may consider a used Mac for the first time. I guess I'll use the next month to think it over.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Means if you are always waiting for the next better upgrade to come out you will always be waiting as one is always around the corner.

There is a reason for the joke that your computer is out dated by the time you get it home.
True, once you've opened the box it's already out of date I guess.

brbrown1988

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
I am ashamed to say I will be buying the outdated iMac today. Regardless of the old components, I need a reliable desktop. "Later next year" is just too long to wait. I have projects on hold because of this.

I know many of you will simply say go buy a PC, but the obvious truth is...no Windows based cpu has the combined functionality, speed, and looks of a Mac compiled into one unit.

$%# you Apple. You've got me by the balls. :eek:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
In light of the disappointing update with processors that are still several years old, we have tweaked our Buyer's Guide recommendations to suggest that users able to hold off until next year for a more significant update do so instead of purchasing the just-updated but still outdated Mac Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Spokesperson Confirms New Mac Pro and iMac Designs Likely Coming in 2013
I'm sorry, but this is really disappointing to me, as it only shows that Macrumors is in the pocket of Apple.

Yesterday, this was a "new" machine that wasn't going to be updated for about 1.5 years. Today, Apple says it may not be updated for (upto) 1.5 years, and it says "don't buy".

Not because it's a bad time to upgrade, but because Apple says so.

Honest question, how much money does Macrumors get from Apple?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Really frustrating, I have a 1st Gen Mac Pro (with all 4 HD bays utilised) that I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion, and is on it's last legs really. Have been waiting to upgrade to a new Mac Pro with Thunderbolt as my Cinema Display will also need updating soon, as well as wanting to move to Thunderbolt external storage. Don't really want to spend GBP 2k+ on a Mac Pro without Thunderbolt and a 2+ year old graphics card. I would have been happy if they just had an updated graphics card and a Thunderbolt port.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
What do you mean?

He means the same thing I was told back in the early 80s when I was looking for my first PDP-11 (or Data General Nova) and was waiting to see who was going to do what:

"It's always the wrong time to buy a computer."

True! So I bought an 11/23 and never looked back.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Well, there goes the sales for the rest of 2012. Someone at Apple should look up "The Osbourne Effect" on Wikipedia. Guess they had to announce something due to the backlash.

Isn't it a little too late for that? Pretty much the only people buying Mac Pros and iMacs now are those actually in need of a computer or those who don't follow rumors.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I am ashamed to say I will be buying the outdated iMac today. Regardless of the old components, I need a reliable desktop. "Later next year" is just too long to wait. I have projects on hold because of this.

I know many of you will simply say go buy a PC, but the obvious truth is...no Windows based cpu has the combined functionality, speed, and looks of a Mac compiled into one unit.

the only thing a 2011 imac is short on is usb3..

sandy vs ivy is pretty much a push. the gpu is very good in the 2011 iMac. (hd6970m)

What would be nice is a big ssd price drop. The mac pro dropped ssd price a bit the iMac needs to follow suit.

Cristian123

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2012

+1

I really needed a machine to get started on a video editing project, and had been holding out months for this update. I was ready to switch to Windows last night, but I priced out the Dell and HP towers, and looking at a price comparison on dual 6-cores, Apple came out quite a bit lower priced at the 2.4, 12-core option with SSD boot and 6TBs of internal storage (which means I won't really need to use the TB peripherals for active workflow), so I bit the bullet and bought the beast. I suppose the processors are dated and I have to forego Thunderbolt, USB3 and blu-ray writing, but in the end the $6000 stopgap 12-core Apple dinosaur option was still more appealing than forking over $10000 and moving my whole life to Windows, despite the allure of 16 cores and all that. I am hoping the big metal dinosaur will behave.

I absolutely would NOT have made this purchase if Apple hadn't sent signals/assurances after the update that it is going to maintain/update this line in the future.

I hate to say it, but in the end I couldn't make the switch. Will I regret sticking with Apple? Let's hope they stick with us over the long haul.

If not, I'll switch later when some other company is smart enough to make it easy.

eyebex

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
That's always sound advice that I normally stick to, I've been playing around with pcs since I was 7 (24 now), but I thought with it being the big move from windows to my first mac machine I could wait the 2-3 months, then it became april, then may and now were here, now there is (hopefully) a definitive answer I'm taking the plunge with the current model, I just wonder If apple may backtrack further and perhaps lower the price of the current iMac a little, like the pro?

They got you exactly where they want you - just selling off those remaining 2011s so that they can say: oh we forgot, we're releasing the new iMacs next month.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
What Happened to Apple?

How can they put a "NEW" icon next to that.

I am extremely disappointed.

Not only have I been waiting to replace my iMac with a Pro, but also excited to see what Apple with bring to the table this time. Which aligns with the reputation they have built, consistent evolution and innovation.

I feel like because of the iPad and iPhone success, the core foundation that built Apple is taking a beating. Now that I've mentioned the iPad and iPhone, even those have have had weak updates. Give me a game changer, not an S narration behind the name.

Now 2013? Give me a break. I've lost interest and from some of the reports coming off Wall Street, the feeling it mutual for many investors.

Do I dare start looking at alternatives!?:confused:

Last edited:

neverfade

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2003
Mpls, MN
well, that solves my problem

I am still running a first generation G5 dual 2 gig. The machine is a beast. I have it on almost everyday since I have bought it in 2003. I can't remember the last time I turned it off. Probably in October of 2011 when I moved.

Anyways, I can't run the latest and greatest, but it'll suffice for me for the time being...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I can't imagine they are selling boatloads of MacPro's at the moment, announcement or not...

I was ready to pounce on a new MP, but my 2008 8 core 3.2 machine will hold me over until next year. Glad I bought top of the line years ago. The 2008 top of the line I have now was actually a Applecare free replacement for my Quad G5 from 2005(?) that blew up. (Yay liquid cooled!)
So really I haven't even bought a new Mac desktop for 7 years, Talk about ROI. I feel for people with 1st Gen MacPro's tho.
This news gives me some extra time to save up some cash to get a nice new top of the line 2013 machine that should last me another 6 years.

{Edit} Mac Pro updates, we are used to being jerked around by Apple, so whatever at this point. But seriously, no iMac update until 2013? I get the laptop is king, but schools buy iMacs right? That shocks me. They could do a small refresh to Ivy Bridge with the same case in a few weeks to hold everyone over until 2013. Waiting that long to refresh the top selling desktop is horrible. Arrogant really.

I think there will be a spec bump for the iMac this year.

I am expecting the mentioned 2013 iMac redesign to include a high-resolution panel, the vibrating pen patent as an extra input device and the foldable iMac patent thrown together. This will be a direct attack and answer to MS's Metro interface.

http://www.cultofmac.com/169875/what...of-everything/

In 2012 I am expecting a spec bump to USB 3, Ivy Bridge and Nvidia this year for the iMac. It would be silly to keep the specifications different from the MBP and it would not be good business. How are the apple store "geniuses" going to explain these differences to Joe Customer?

-------

*Sebastian is an analyst at Made Up Securities. His rumour prediction record has been spotty recently. On Monday he incorrectly predicted that the 2012 Mac Pro leaked specifications were BS since he could not match the CPUs to the Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 16xx and 26xx he was expecting and he felt sick that the Radeon 5770 would be the GPU in the "old new old" 2012 Mac Pro.

peb123

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
What happened to doubling down on secrecy?? This is very un-Apple to disclose this information.

I still think they will update the mini and iMac with ivy bridge, usb 3 and new graphics processors this year. Next year we will see new form factors.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I still think it's pretty unlikely that they won't at least bump the current form factor iMac to Ivy Bridge at some point in the next couple of months.

I don't think anyone was honestly expecting a redesign this year. Interesting that they're working on one for next year though.

Apple-Guy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Belgium
I'm happy and sad at the same time, happy because the mac pro lives on and I will get the chance to buy one in a yesad however, because I can not wait 1 more year, my macbook pro penryn from early 2008 is dying under my software/rendering and I really need a stronger comp, if it weren't for my studies, I would've spent every last breath with my macbook pro until the mac pro comes and even after that.

But I need to buy a stupid windows machine now to overlap 1 year :(

Regards,

Apple-Guy

Ps thank you Apple for at least telling us he'll be back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.