Apple starting Layoffs

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by medea, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

according to spymac :( www.spymac.com ) ""Apple has quietly started to layoff team members in what is rumored to progress into a massive "restructuring effort."

Anonymous accounts started coming in late last week, with nearly half a dozen independent incidences now reported to Spymac.

In usual Apple fashion, news of the layoffs is being kept to an absolute minimum. Campus workers are just now realizing that their seemingly department-isolated reductions are part of a larger effort.

Although Retail experienced significant job cuts last Spring, corporate workers have been mostly exempt from staff reductions, save for publicly acknowledged downsizing in Apple's International offices at the beginning of 2002.

Internal rumors are now suggesting that the layoffs are different from the routine restructuring that is constantly being performed at Apple.

"Two colleagues -- each in different departments -- were both notified on [Monday, September 30]. Layoffs are not surprising (October is notorious for Apple layoffs), but the amount of cuts I'm hearing about definitely is," writes one regular source. ""

2. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Well they are still suffering from the economy and from the slow hardware, no big surprise to me.

Recently I passed up a dual 1.25 and got some big SCSI disks and a Dell laptop instead. I use Linux and Windows more than over the summer, and I haven't even bothered upgrading to 10.2.

Apple just isn't doing it for me, and I think they just aren't doing it for a lot of people. I'll be waiting whenever the "G5" shows up though.

3. TMay macrumors 68000

what kind of restructuring?

A possibility is that the restructuring to reduce costs (I'm assuming that this is the gist of the spymac article) may be a bit more than that. Now that "Jaguar" is "mature" enough to stand on its own four feet, perhaps Steve is pumping more resources into the iPod like stuff. Remember, Steve said that Apple would innovate its way out of the poor economic times.

4. ddtlm macrumors 65816

TMay:

Doesn't matter what Jobs said... it's his job to say only positive things.

5. gandalf55 macrumors 6502

i've had faith in this company from the time my parents got me my first Apple... an Apple ][+. i've seen amazing products, terrible ego, deficient CEOs, the death of the Newton (ugh), The Macintosh, ... and i've been a part of the Apple family along the way. buying new machines, upgrading, buying hardware, etc.

Apple is maturing. There are some growing pains and shrinking pains to endure. but they have never failed to innovate as best they can.

Apple will pull through. I remember they were a month away from having to declare bankruptcy not too terribly long ago - and now they are doing very well. Not as well as we would like, but then that will never happen as our expectations from this amazing company never fail to be fantastical. Which isn't always a bad thing.

Do what you have to Apple... 10.2 rocks (its close to the usability of OS 9 already and how long have they been at it? not that long in comparison to getting us to 9!), the free iApps are very nice, iPod rocks, iServe is interesting, etc...

Apple through and through until I die... then my children can inherit :)

6. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

According to Forbes Magazine Fall 2002 - Apple and Dell are the only two profitable computer companies.

ddtlm - I'm not sure why you're here. This is the second forum where I've seen you boast about PC's. Dude, you got a Dell!

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

damn u

if you like ypur damn pc so much go to dellrumors.com damn it this a mac site not a psuke

8. vixapphire macrumors 6502

yo gandalf55:

that's what a lot of people in my old hometown, Detroit, said about Oldsmobiles, and look where that got them!

notwithstanding the foregoing snideness, i think it's wise policy to restructure and get lean and mean, trim the fat and all that other good power-talk, during a downturn so that the company is better prepared and quicker to higher profitability levels in the next upturn.

we'll see if they can continue delivering compelling products in the core of their value proposition - desk- and laptop computers. if they go a few more product cycles with just modest speed bumps like they have (with pb's at least) for awhile now, they may run into problems. as for now, they're still very profitable so no one's got much reason for concern.

9. masterkdog macrumors newbie

ddtlm... take a chill pill bro.

If your Dell was a car:

1. It would go up to 140MPH but the acceleration would be horrible and your turning radius would suck.
    2. You'd have a great 3-year warranty, but tech support for your speedometer and gas gauge would come from a different company.
    3. You'd have to activate your car with the company that made the dashboard and gear-shift. If you didn't your car would stop working after 30-days.
    4. Your car would look like the 'Munster's-Mobile'.

My Titanium Powerbook G4 is a Porshe... worth every penny.

Does anyone know if Windows does 2D graphics hardware acceleration like Jaguar does?

10. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

you guys gotta understand that apple has been doing this for quite a while...

check out this post by me here...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9638&highlight=ibm...

my point, nonetheless, is that apple hasnt been doing awesome, so to speak, the last few years..

apple could do a lotta things, and everyone has their opinion aboit that sorta thing.. but it is clear to many people including my good friend that apple hasnt been doin all that great.. :-/..

i mean.. you can tell if you drive by apple.. on apples streets other than infinite loop, buildings have been leased to others by apple over the past few years increasingly...

11. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Re: ...

Oh no! :eek:

Another car anology! Well, get him boys! Tear out his spine and eat his gizzards! Oh, by the way, welcome to Macrumors! :)

P-Worm

12. ddtlm macrumors 65816

masterkdog:

Calling the tiBook a Porshe would only be accurate if Porshe was selling 4-banger cars. Good looking, yes; fast, no. My Dell is thicker and heavier, but only weighs 6 pounds or so, not bad considering the superior graphics card, up to 1gig DDR, 5400 RPM disk, and 2.2ghz P4 for less than the basic 667mhz PB. I also got the "jade" color panels, which are a distinctly cool thing (subtle changes in color depending on light, etc).

Didn't have to active anything, by the way. Don't know why you were throwing that crap out there. Perhaps you don't know much about PC's? To answer your question about 2D acceleration, actually most all OS's have for a while used video cards to speed up 2D drawing. Even Linux does for supported cards (such as the one in my Dell), and has for years. 10.2 does some things (some effects) that they don't, but it's not nearly as amazing as Apple would have you think (what Apple has done is head into using textures and layering, others have not). With 10.2 Apple takes things further, but has not discovered a new way of doing things.

applemacdude:

Go screw yourself. I am a Mac owner too, and my reasons for not buying another right now are potentially important for understanding the slowdown in the Mac market in general.

13. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

....errr Did I miss something. I didn't notice a slowdown in the Mac market... I noticed a slowdown in the whole market. We're to assume you mean processor speed? That's questionable when you compare real word numbers regarding speed tests. As for sales, Apple is fairing better than all but one company. But DUDE, you got a Dell! :eek:

14. dricci macrumors 6502a

I know some Mac forums enact a no trolling rule... I really wish MacRumors would do the same.

15. UnixMac macrumors 6502

UnixMac

Ok.... Ok... boys, take this outside now!

Really. Both sides make a point. Dell is Dull (and I would never buy it cause of Windows)......BUT, they have a 400mhz bus, DDR and 5400RPM Drives......I want (repeat) WANT Apple to get with it on hardware..... I love OS X, it is not even worthy to compare XP with Unix taken to it's ultimate form (read OS X). However, Apple needs to stop depending on superior aesthetic design and a great OS to keep them above the PC market. They also need to attack that third teer, the hardware!

Imagine a PBTi with all the power of a G4, the fast bus, the Top of the line ATI 9000 or Gforce4 and DDR, and cap it with OS X.....now that would be a Porsche!

APPLE RULES, IBM SUCKS! (I was saying that back in 1984) So don't accuse me of being a PC Troll

My first Apple was a II (1980)

Lived 10 miles form their HQ

16. ddtlm macrumors 65816

pgwalsh

Critical thought will reveal that the two are not mutually exclusive. I mentioned only the Mac market, and that market is down, hence the layoffs (note also how I am exactly on subject for this thread).

Unspecified, poorly defined, elusive "tests" are small consolation to an aquainence whose new dual 1gig with GF4Ti is slower in Warcraft3 than my laptop, which also happened to cost less. He can run RC5 and Photoshop pretty well though, boy howdy!

Yeah, I know Apple is doing better than most and I certainly don't think I suggested otherwise. As for my Dell, it was the logical choice... certainly better than anything else in PC land.

dricci:

Report me, see what the moderators do. It is plain-as-day that I am not trolling. Some people here (apparently including you) are simply hyper-sensitive to my true statements about reality. In fact, it is I who has been handled wrongly, all I did was mention I got a Dell instead of a new Mac and all hell breaks loose.

WanaPBnow:

Mmmm, a dose of reality!

17. dricci macrumors 6502a

If you want to talk about your dell, go to Dell Rumors. I come here to read about Mac stuff.

18. ddtlm macrumors 65816

dricci:

Hey listen this time so I don't have to keep saying this, OK?

All I did was mention that I got a Dell (the 2nd post), I was then attacked, and I then defended myself by justifying the value of the machine. It is zealots like you who caused all this Dell speak. Get it?

Don't want to talk about Dell? Then don't pick up out of my post and talk about it!

19. masterkdog macrumors newbie

"Some people here (apparently including you) are simply hyper-sensitive to my true statements about reality."

ddtlm... Seems like you are a bit on the hyper-sensitive side yourself. I was merely painting a picture of my own experience with my very own 2.53Ghz Dell 8200 with 1GB of RDRAM, NVidia GeForce Ti4600 (128MB DDR) and all of the other frills. I use it for Flash because Macromedia doesn't know how to optimize for altivec. For everything else, especially video/audio editing... CG and Mathematica, I use my 800Mhz TiBook. It's superior in every way to the Dell... I can't imagine even trying to manage my audio collection on XP. By the way, I just checked WHOIS and dellrumors.com is available! As is spydell.com, winrumors.com and dudemydellrocks.com. Have at it!

P-Worm... I've never heard that analogy before, but perhaps you spend more time on these message boards than I do. I thought it was fairly clever... but I'll stop patting myself on the back right away.

I think I'll make this point and never post to macrumors ever again... I swear! Apple has always taken technology as an art form and melded them together seemlessly. Even if people take a look but get freaked out by the lack of a "START" button, they always walk away with at least a sense of wonder. There are lots of companies who have taken Apples lead, over and over again... like Microsoul and DU:DE:LL, but they will never be true innovators, just clever thieves. The proof is irrefutable from Windows 1.0 and the "GUI" to Bungie and the ONLY good game for XBOX. MARK MY WORDS: Real power isn't in how many GHZ we will achieve in the next ten years, it's in how many ways the 'box' will become obsolete. Look back at yourself through your future eyes and for god's sake, take off that "Dude" T-shirt!

20. ddtlm macrumors 65816

masterkdog:

True, I was probably a little agressive with you, but that other poster "applemacdude" taken together with you did leave me rather annoyed.

21. Inhale420 macrumors regular

Re: damn u

i suggest learning english. you're not gonna get very far without it. i also suggest learning how to use a wintel pc.

22. Inhale420 macrumors regular

23. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

doesnt this forum have a no "flaming" rule? Stick to the topic or take your silly bickering elsewhere guys.....

24. UnixMac macrumors 6502

UnixMac

I tried to do that between these two and the seem to want to keep flaming.

We are all in the same boat here, so lets just please get along!

25. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I wish users would report posts instead of complain about them on the public forums. :)

There is a no trolling rule... but unless you report it... I probably don't know about it.

arn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.