Apple starting to step on MicroSoft's Toes?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, May 7, 2002.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

I really like what Apple is doing. They have the consumer line pretty much rapped up. A great offering of iBooks, and iMac's, while also retaining the iMac G3 line. The pro line needs some work. The Powerbook just was recently upgraded, but still is a little slow compared to it's Windows counterparts. The Powermac's need a big boost in speed and Power. Intel just released a 2.53Ghz P4 with a 533mhz bus! Apple still has 133mhz. Not looking good Apple, we need a boost on bus speed and faster processors. Jobs recently said that Rackmount servers are coming out May 14, which I think is great. I think there main competitors are going to be Dell, HP, low end IBM, and low end SUN. SUN and IBm are on different levels then Apple, but I would like to see Apple take away some market share from Dell.

On the software front they are doing some interesting stuff. OS X and Win XP are about the same right now, but this new release of OS X is going to push the envelope, and I think Apple is going to take a step foward in front of XP. XP is good, but not that good. Sales show it: more copies of Windows 98 are being sold then Win XP. Ha ha.

Looks like Apple is really going to become a big competitor to Microsoft, so Microsoft, watch out.

What do you guys think?

2. Vilacr macrumors regular

Even with the new releases apple is still far behind. Where is the consumer line wrapped up? Ibooks are slow and need updating ASAP. I use apple for the os and stability not speed....When I need speed I use peecees. As for the OS...I think OSX needs revamping now. Sure jaguar is great but we can't use it. At least XP is as complete as M$ can get it

3. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

okay...

Then use it.

I agree that the hardware needs to be updated, but calling XP "complete" is silly. I also don't share the opinion that "OSX needs revamping now." Says who? We need it to faster, but it is stable as hell. Rushing improvements hasn't worked out too well for anyone in the past. I can't imagine why it would now. It will be here when it's here and we will all wish it was here a year ago. That's life.

Chris

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

5. Vilacr macrumors regular

chmorley

Notice I said as complete as M$ can get it. I didn't say it was complete as in being a good os.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

That's the funniest thing I've ever read

That's hilarious. How Microsoft continues to get away with this kind of behavior is beyond my scope of comprehension.

But I guess that it's standard procedure to have people pay for things (and services) that they never intend to use. We've been doing it for years with Health Care and property taxes, etc.

So maybe Microsoft is just following the government's (the US government) lead on this. But it's still funny.

7. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

????

So maybe I'm just dense today (as today is an average day, that is a possibility), but I don't get your point. Would you rather have an OS that is as complete as its maker can get it, or one that continues to improve over time?

Even if you'd rather have the former, M$ continues to release service packs--usually just bug fixes and closing security holes (and/or opening new ones). Why are those changes better than improvements?

Am I missing something here?

Chris

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

XP??? Complete???

Windows XP is certainly not complete in my opinion.
    From the day of it's release there have been constant updates mainly due to very serious security & compatibility problems, u call that complete???? (Allthough there haven't been many lately :) )
    But, at the end of the day, it's Windows & I don't think anyone no matter how much they try and how much beta testing they do will ever make a totally reliable, stable version of it :D

Or maybe they will..........:eek:

9. Ludicrosity macrumors member

Re: Apple starting to step on MicroSoft's Toes?

Well that's because Win XP cost's a hell of alot more than 98SE. Why they need to charge $300 ($270+ online for Professional) for a product that they know alot of people are going to buy regardless if it's all that good or not is beyond me...

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've been using XP for a fair while now, and it's been pretty good. it did crash a few times, but that was probably because of things i've done. but that was about 8 months ago, and i haven't had any problems yet.
    if you are having serious problems with XP you must be doing something really stupid, like going around the net and annyoing hackers.:D

11. j763 macrumors 6502a

Apple is certaintly not stepping on Microsoft's toes... look at the market share figures... The way they could step on MS's toes is to upgrade AppleWorks with way more features and make it available for PC and Mac.

12. Paolo macrumors regular

Apple Vs Microsoft????

Apple and microsoft, can't really step on eachothers toes... yeah they compete with the respective OS's but Microsofts own's a fair chunk of apple doesn't it? Also Microsoft programs alot of stuff (ie office) for OSX, which really means that microsoft is set, they win either way! I hate Microsft as much as the next guy, but lets face it, Apple is like Microsofts Bitch!

13. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

14. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

By the way... it's Microsoft, not MicroSoft :D

k.

(or Micro$oft of course)

15. Paolo macrumors regular

Apple Vs Microsoft????

Apple and microsoft, can't really step on eachothers toes... yeah they compete with the respective OS's but Microsofts own's a fair chunk of apple doesn't it? Also Microsoft programs alot of stuff (ie office) for OSX, which really means that microsoft is set, they win either way! I hate Microsft as much as the next guy, but lets face it, Apple is like Microsofts Bitch!

16. Ludicrosity macrumors member

Re: Apple Vs Microsoft????

Funny how Micro$oft didn't concentrate on stability, the user interface, and intergated video and media app's until Apple released OS X, iMovie, iTunes, etc. Apple isn't Microsoft's bitch, Apple is Microsoft's entire R&D staff.

If Apple is ready to effectivly cut relations with Microsoft, they could release an Office suit (much, much improved version of AppleWorks perhaps) and release if for free. Make it inport and export in Microsoft formats and market the hell out of it. Microsoft couldn't do anything to hamper the inport/export (release a "citical service patch" that breaks the feature for example) because the DOJ would pounce on them.

Think of it has what Microsoft did to Netscape years ago.

17. j763 macrumors 6502a

I have to agree, Apple is Microsoft's bitch.

Not from a technological point of view, no. but just look at the $$$s of the situation...

we'd all love to see an office suite which would kick microsoft's ass -- it's called OpenOffice. Apple just needs to grab that and fix the GUI up a bit (why is it that all opensource s/w has a crappy gui?)...

18. Ludicrosity macrumors member

Apple Vs Microsoft????

I'm having a hard time agreeing with you guys on this becuase there isn't a single Microsoft product I need or want for that matter.

If you have the chance to run Linux try Gnome, it's easy on CPU resources but also looks damn nice. It's no Aqua but I like it.

I'm going to agree with you on this most open source software do have a bad GUI. For example, the Gimp is the most popular open source app for the desktop and it has a horrible interface.

19. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I am annoyed that Microsoft incuded a Movie Maker app, but there is no way to uninstall it other than to do it all by hand.

In general I can deal with XP. Sure there are many annoying things about it, but I can at least work with it.

20. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

M$ has been using Apple as R&D for years. The best way for apple to compete with M$ for market share is on the hardware side. I have a lot of friends who lust for macs. The price is just too high. Mst people don't care about architcture or stability. They see everyone using XP and they figure it works fine. Its hard to convince someone to pass that six hundred dollar PC for a three thousand dollar Mac. If you don't understand how the hardware and software are better, and if you just want a good computer to do the work you need, six hundred bucks sounds good.

I know the Cheapo PC sucks, and will break and never work right, but other people don't. Apple is like Porche, beautiful and exclusive. If they want to take the whole market, they are going to have to become Nissan.

21. gdesigner macrumors newbie

my understanding...

My knowledge of the Apple vs Microsoft deal...

Apple invented and trademarked the GUI (the OS)
    Microsoft wanted to use the GUI for its WINDOWS system
    they went to court over the whole thing and they settled out of court for...

Microsoft could use the GUI as long as they created software (OFFICE and such...) for the Macintosh.

So if this is true. why would apple want to create an office suite for the mac only? doing so would mean Apple gave up the GUI (which without, Microsoft would exist) for nothing.

I did some reading on this a few years back, so it isn't all clear, but this I believe is the basis.

And I don't believe Microsoft owns anything of Apple. I could be wrong on that as well, but I have yet to find anything regarding this. (trust me my roommate and I argue Apple vs Microsoft almost everyday) Neither he or I could find any information to prove otherwise. If anyone finds such information I am interested in reading it.

22. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: my understanding...

Not sure where you got your info, gdesigner, but you got it almost completely wrong.

No. Apple "borrowed" the GUI from the work that was being done at Xerox PARC. Read the book Insanely Great by Steven Levy for more info on this part of Apple's history. This was also M$'s defense. It had enough merit that it was not a slam-dunk case. And the case was over patent-infringement, not the trademark.
    No. There was a lawsuit. It was settled out of court. As much as M$ is evil and copied Apple, Apple had not "invented" the GUI. It wasn't clear that Apple could prove they had the rights to it. The agreement was essentially that if Apple dropped the lawsuit, M$ would purchase $150 million in non-voting stock. In retrospect, it was probably a good deal for Apple. They are in much better shape today.
    I think the argument is that M$ Office sucks and that Apple would develop better software. Besides, the settlement agreement is about to expire. It isn't clear that M$ will continue to support the platform (although I believe they will). They are not obligated to do so.
    There are hundreds of articles on this. The deal was very public. TechTV recently wrote an article referring to the whole thing.

Probably best to get some new sources. Your facts are wrong. Some of mine may be, as well, since I am writing much of this from memory. My apologies in advance for any errors.

Chris

23. gdesigner macrumors newbie

thanks

Chris—

thanks for clearing up that mess.

24. Inhale420 macrumors regular

AHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAH!.......

HHAHAHAHHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHA!

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Re: Apple starting to step on MicroSoft's Toes?

Man, what a very well thought out and intellegent post. You are absolutly amazing us the maturity of your posts. Having looked back on all of them, it is quite obvious that you are coming to our wonderful site with one purpose in mind. To get flamed, or to act like a big man.