Apple still innovative leader in computer industry

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AlphaTech, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

An article on MacCentral today is shows a statement by analyst David Bailey, vice president and research analyst with Gerard Klauer Mattison & Company, said that Apple continues to lead the personal computer industry in innovation.

This is not true on the wintel side though...

The analyst added that innovation "has almost ground to a halt" in the Wintel world. There's been a lot of discussion about tablet computers and wireless mobile computing, "but we view most of these initiatives as more evolutionary than revolutionary," Bailey said.

Worth checking out, especially since it is a short article.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm not too surprised that Apple seems to be leading the innovation world. First came the iPod, IMO, the best mp3 player known to date, then the iMac G4, based on the same color scheme as the current iBooks. I would not be surprised if Apple innovates a few more peecee users with a portable "supercomputer", i.e. a possible iBook G4. Then Apple will only have "supercomputer" computer lines in ALL of their main line of computers. That would be impressive.

I am sure that Apple still has numerous innovations up their sleeve. However, I am still waiting for an iBook G4 and a PowerMac G5. Aren't we all? :)

Fear the King.

3. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

gasp

Cant breath G5 statement sucking all air out of room!

Must counteract effects.

Boba Fett, Pademan, Stephan Hawkins, World cup, Henry Miller, G-Spot

Ahhhh better.

Something I dont get, If Apple leads in innovation.
    Doesnt that already defeat WIntel?

IN the wintel world, so that is a separate world i know, they always ask for my passport at the compusa border.

Just seems like,Ok, Apple wiins, enuff said!

They won because the wintel world is lame, There isnt any other Mac producers to defeat. Did I make sense here/?

4. ZealotBasher macrumors newbie

it's funny how he doesn't mention any of these 'innovations.' just sounds like maclots stroking each other.

5. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

6. ThinkpadsRule macrumors member

What good is a pretty computer if it is slow? Slowerbooks crawl when compared to the likes of inspirons and thinkpads. I own a pbook 667 and thinkpad T30. The tibook is prettier but much slower as well.

7. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Grammar help

It's "Thinkpads rule". The apostrophe is grammatically wrong.

Also, I thought this thread was about innovation. Increased speed isn't really innovation, is it?

From WordNet (r) 1.7:

innovation: n 1: a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation [syn: invention]

I am sure you are smart and know what you are talking about, though. :rolleyes:

Chris

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Grammar help

I don't think innovation and speed are mutually exclusive.

On the contrary, sometimes it takes an innovation in design/technology to push machines to new speeds, or to move to new architecture that makes faster speeds possible.

9. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: Re: Grammar help

I agree that often increases in speed are often what allow innovation (in computing) and vice-versa. I never implied they were mutually exclusive, simply that they weren't synonymous. An increase in speed does not automatically imply an innovation. In addition, innovations are certainly possible without an increase in speed. Infrastructure, funding, and support also assist innovation. None of these is "innovation" in and of itself, either.

I take no issue with the complaint that Apple would benefit from catching up in speed with PCs. I simply stated that a speed complaint was not necessarily relevant to a discussion about innovation. I stand by that. They are two different (and only marginally related) issues.

The Jaguar developments are a prime example of this. They represent innovative solutions of computing problems. One might even argue that it is OS X's lack of speed (or the Apple CPUs') that has necessitated this innovation.

Chris

10. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Stinkpads blow...

Who much memory is inside that TiBook that you have??? Which OS??

The T30 is a newer system, most likely, but I still can't see them running significantly faster, or faster where it really matters. Besides, the L3 cache makes a hug difference when it comes to performance. I know it makes my 800MHz TiBook rock.

tinkpads stink, hence the name.

11. ThinkpadsRule macrumors member

Slowerbooks are slow hence the name. My Tibook has 1 gig of ram and the Thinkpad has 512 megs ram. The Tibook has a 667 mhz cpu and the thinkpad has a 1.6 ghz cpu. The Tibook weighs 5.3 lbs and the thinkpad weighs 5.3 lbs. The tibook has a 15.2 display and the thinkpad has a 14.1 display. The thinkpad has more ports and is a helluva lot faster

12. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

hey troll.. get the F out before I have to go postal on your a$$

Yes I am talking to you ThinkpadsRule

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Get out! Be gone troll!! The 667mhz Tibook doe not have L3 cache which makes a BIG difference! The 800mhz Ti Would waste your stinkpad a$$!

14. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

While you guys are arguing about what is and isn't innovation, just remember that evolution is not innovation. Typically, unless you see a huge performance increase in chip speed (eg the introduction of superscalar processors) it's just evolution... no innovation involved.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, the innovation discussion got bogged down in TiPB vs. Thinkpads BS. Apple has innovated and will continue to innovate, period. They make the machines that everyone wants to copy, look at how much color came out of the iMac design. Now we have an LCD iMac, anyone want to bet something will come along similar (if Apple doesn't call a foul, and wade in with lawyers)

The iPod revolutionized how people look at mp3 players - all others are basically toys compared to the iPod. Don't worry about one or two specifics, focus on Apple's overall philosophy. There is no deny Apple is one of the main driving forces of tomorrows technology.......

16. ThinkpadsRule macrumors member

Why so much hostility?

Why are you guys getting so upset? No computer can always be the fastest or the best for long. Look how the computer industry changes from week to week. You guys know there is no way a 800 mhz cpu can compete with a 1.6 ghz cpu. Lets be realistic.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is not about speed, its about innovation. There is a huge difference, if you don't understand that, take some time to reflect on it and get back to us when you have something intelligent to say.

18. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I second that motion... and move that it be passed.

19. ThinkpadsRule macrumors member

Yes,yes,yes this is about speed. If you think making pretty products is innovation then you need to rethink this thread. Apple needs to produce(in your words innovate) a more up to date product. How can they be the innovative leader when they have produced nothing new (well OSX that's about it) and their products are inferior to other products? Some of you guys need to take the blindfolds off and see apple for who and what they are. Sure their products are cool looking(wow) but what about everything else. Ipod....how is that innovation when products just like it were already on the market. Tell me what has apple innovated.

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well it looks like we have another gocyrus lurking the threads...

as for being innovative...Apple beats the sh*t out of everyone as far as design...nothing on the market looks like half as elegant as Apple's hardware...

as for performance...the specs may be different...but we've seen it time & time again...#'s don't hold ground when it comes to real work...and yes...Apple does need to have a fire lit under their @sses more often than not...but they are definitely highly competitive in performance...they do introduce many new technologies before anyone else...

I have proclaimed myself as an anti-zealot...thus I know there are people who simply do not need to use a Mac...and that's completely fine...

but if u are going to sit around here and just piss people off by throwing b.s. in their faces for the sake of getting your rocks off...just watch it...

21. ThinkpadsRule macrumors member

I am not pitching B.S. I am trying to get some of you guys to open your eyes and see the whole picture. Apple makes nice products ( I have a tibook) I just hate to see these guys talk about apple like they are the best thing ever. There are better products and worse products out there. I would like to see some open mindedness on this board and not bash a person b/c they don't think apple is the sh*t.

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I am all for being open-minded...trust me...I've said enough around here in the past...

but I've already gotten a few complaints...so I'm going to stick around to see things go smoothly...

one thing u have to understand...this is a Macintosh rumors website....hence the mass amount of Mac-Zealots...one does not go into a Ford dealership and start in on how much Chevy has over them....so try to keep that in mind equally...

23. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Did you even bother to read the article stinkpadblows??? They were NOT talking about speed of processor, but what Apple has done for INNOVATIONS in the computer industry. It is also mentioned about how LITTLE the peecee world has done for innovations...

If you don't have something to contribute other then b*tching about how your two laptops are not the same speed, then begone.

Oh, and it's generally NOT a good idea to piss on/off one of the moderators, especially one that is very active on this site. He will rip off your membership head and p*ss down your throat.

24. ThinkpadsRule macrumors member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.