Apple Still Working on 10.4.11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 15, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amidst the growing excitement over the upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) release, we've overlooked news of Apple's ongoing progress with a final update to Mac OS X 10.4.

Apple has continued with frequent seeds of Mac OS X 10.4.11 to developers. The most recent seed was released to developers last week on October 9th, bringing the development seeds up to builds 8S2161/8S161 for Intel/PowerPC.

The latest updates provide additional bug fixes to Webkit for Dashboard, but there remain some issues with existing Widgets.

Apple has also been hard at work on the final version of Mac OS X Leopard which reached Gold Master candidate last week and should reach Gold Master this week.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502a

Marble

Glad to see this basket still has an egg in it.

3. macrumors 601

DMann

Hopefully this will include a fix for the new iMac video card issues.....

4. macrumors member

Woo Hoo! 10.4.11 for my "old" mac pro... :D

5. macrumors newbie

We Want Leopard!

6. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Meh. Tiger is history.

7. macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Hope it will be stable as a rock… and by "rock" – I mean mountain chain! :D

… but, I'm still getting Leopard as soon as possible!!! :cool::)

8. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Do you mean "overlooked", by chance?

9. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Not Exactly Earth Shattering News

Duh... :rolleyes:

I'm overloaded with anticipation anxiety Arn. ;)

10. macrumors 65816

Although we don't have an official Leopard system requirement yet, it's a good news for those Macs which cannot run Leopard and yet to have a rock solid 10.4.x system.

11. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Can We Still Hope 800 MHz Might Regain Access To The Final Leopard Release?

For many's sake, I hope they lower the minimum speed limit back down to 800 MHz although the video cards on those systems may be another reason Apple doesn't want to let people run Leopard on them. :confused:

12. macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Here's hoping the Cisco VPN reliability issues in 10.4.10 are resolved. ISRT hearing something a few builds ago that they were looking into it, so I'm hoping it's now fixed.

13. macrumors 68020

samh004

Glad to see they're trying to patch the last few things up before moving on.

That's what I thought. Must of been thinking about something else.

14. macrumors 68040

queshy

It seems that if apple actually follows through with the october release date, leopard will get released at the last second of the last day in october...here's to hoping it will come earlier...but at least we know with 99.999% certainty that by next month at this time we will all have leopard on our machines!

15. macrumors 6502

I guess a question... who says Leopard won't install on machines running at 800mhz? My guess is 800mhz or lower won't be supported (or recommended), but one will be able to install it on those machines. If not I'm sure someone will be able to hack it to install as I can't see any technical reasons why it won't work.

But if the testers said it was too slow on 800mhz machines then maybe it is just too slow, and users are better sticking with 10.4... its been in development for some time now and 800mhz machines are getting old! (At least 3 generations old! G4, G5, Intel...)

I know how it feels to be locked out of new software, but with technology that's often the best way to make the new software better for users of more modern hardware; which at the end of the day is what reviewers and critics look at the performance of!

But I guess on the flip side... is the OS slower if an 800mhz machine is now no longer fast enough to use it? My common sense would tell me yes, if it's more resource hungry on older hardware then it's more resource hungry on modern hardware. So please Apple, don't let this be like Windows Vista, where both old and new hardware suffer in terms of speed!

16. macrumors regular

gikku

yay!

for all the G3s and low-end G4s.
    Tiger rocks!! :):)

17. macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

An error message appears during installation, saying at least an 800MHz G4 is needed to proceed.

18. macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

Im over waiting. But what choice do I have? I suppose any update is a good thing. But Im getting impatient about when the baby is coming.

19. macrumors member

naco

I don't see why they wouldn't continue to work on Tiger. They need to make it the best possible. Not EVERYONE and their mother is going to go out and buy Leopard as soon as it hits stores (A contradiction to what the lines will look like). I know of people that would still have been running Panther if they didn't get a FREE bump up when they got their computers fixed through Apple. So what this really shows is how much Apple wants to make everything perfect so the consumers get the absolute best no matter how current it is. Think about it, some people still run their G3 iBooks. :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 68040

JFreak

Many only upgrade when forced to, so no, Tiger is not dead. For example close to every music studio running the latest Protools HD sit tight on Tiger version 10.4.8 for as long as Digidesign blesses Leopard. It might take a while so no upgrades this year.

Not everyone has nothing better to do than just wait for an upgrade...

21. macrumors 6502

this is good news, as i will still use nice Tiger in one of my computers.

22. macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i was wondering if Apple was still working on tiger.

but i wonder why the finder version in 10.4.10 still say's 10.4.7 ???

i do hope they stick with this update and nail most of the bugs. if there is bugs in 10.4.10 you want fixed then you need to report them to Apple http://bugreport.apple.com/ for any chance to have them fixed, this is the best way for Apple to know about bugs in OS X cause telling people here isn't a way to let Apple know that said issues need fixed.

Since Tiger is the last version for many capable Mac's, i wonder how long it will take for People/company's to start dropping support (like 10.2 10.3 is)??? i do hope tiger dont loose support from 3rd party developers any time soon.

23. macrumors 601

Schtumple

My friend has now become fedup of waiting and is buying an iMac tomorrow, tbh, I'd rather wait untill the applications I use ACTUALLY WORK on leopard before buying it...

I'd rather have a fully-stable 10.4.11 than a could-be-stable-but-we-don't-really-know-yet 10.5.0

24. Retired

psychofreak

If he waits until they announce a release date, he gets Tiger on the iMac, and doesn't have to pay the $129 for Leopard, which he can then choose to install it when he wants...

25. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

WAHOO!! Im in the clear.