Apple Stock (appl) moving up fast buy now

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PalmHarborTchr, Jun 9, 2004.

1. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

In a few months, Mac Users will say, "Gee I could have bought Apple for a bit over $30, now I can't touch it....I wish I had bought some stock then...but no one told me to..........Consider your self told. :)

2. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

For sure, Apple is definately at the top of their game. I told my dad and grandma to buy when it was at ~$14. Neither listened to me.

There's that old saying, buy on the rumor, sell on the news. I would personally not load up right now. Wait a couple of weeks and we'll see it around $28. It's usually not good to buy when a stocks at its 52-week high. You're asking to lose money. Wait for <$28 then buy, and hope for the best.

I think the absence of a 3Ghz G5 could hurt confidence in Apple, and that might stick the price down a bit. But, if these touch-screen monitors, tablet mac, or pda rumors are true, the price could skyrocket!!!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The stocking is near a decade high, must buy it now.

That type of thinking makes people that saw the stock in the toilet awhile ago rich.

This is the time to be selling Apple stock, not buying it.

Buy low, sell high.

It's not a 30-minute investment strategy, it's a multi-year investment strategy that takes advantage of the long-term capital gains rate.

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

$14? i could've bought it at $12. why did i invest my money in SCH ? why? i'm betting that the imacG5 rumors have a lot to do with this. maybe consumers are hoping to see a well rounded 64bit processor for the first time in their homes.

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Not necessarily, it's just I wouldn't recommend buying it - keep for a while and watch the numbers jiggle 'til the time feels right.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most people in the stock market don't go off of Apple rumor sites, The release of new G5's and how well the iTunes music store is doing are better reasons why the stock is so high, not G5 iMac rumors.

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    But you'd have to admit that the price jumped pretty high when G5 specs were 'accidentally' disclosed last year.

That must have been rumor-based as it was not made official until about 4 days later.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

True, but i think people are a little to cautious to buy a stock just based on a rumor. They want more facts than fiction.

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Aren't you guys going off the deep end here.

I mean, everyone knows that Apple Computer Inc. is a company that is about to go bankrupt. They have been saying so for the last 20 years, so anytime now... ;)

10. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i just talked to a guy at a gamestop who used to work at a compusa before he was laid off there. he told me the same thing, that "apple probably won't be around much longer". i laughed cause the gateway store across from that compusa store went out of business, and i'm waiting for that compusa to take off soon too.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's right. if anyone is playing AAPL stock short-term (my definition: holding for < 3 years), today was the day to sell.

edit: i see AAPL closed down today

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But we keep telling people that these peaks are great times to sell, and they keep thinking of all the money they'll make when the stock goes even higher -- and not really liking the advice.

Even though they haven't really "made" any money by continuing to hold the stock.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if they're truly long on it, then they shouldn't even really be looking at those peaks. regardless, they get the benefits of lower cap gains when they _do_ sell, dividends, stock splits, etc.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But most of the people aren't into stocks for long term, even though the lower cap gains kicks in at a rather short interval.

They're glad the stock is at a four year high and moving like a rocket to the five year high. (aka it's $30 and on it's way to $60 -- catch the iTunes Rocket)

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is it silly of me to assume that those trading short-term know what they're doing? being long (in the market, not necessarily on a single stock) is low risk for solid returns.

i take it back: i love it when people trade short term based on things like brand loyalty and gut instinct, 'cuz the professional money managers make money off of it and, in turn, so do i.

16. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

When I bought at $13 I was planning for the long term. With this latest rise though I am contemplating selling half my stock.

I doubt it will go much higher than $35 until Apple starts seeing some true gains in the Mac business. Right now that's flat as anything.

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

You mean, day traders?

These people have to trade short-term because the way they make money is by using money to buy a stock, the more of it the better, and sell it once it goes high enough in the short term. Then, they rinse and repeat.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not so much them, but people who buy stock in a company because they like the product or the company philosophy. on one hand, i admire them for investing along w/ their beliefs, but otoh, i'm happy to be eligible to collect their losses when it's a bad investment.

no one should buy AAPL because apple makes good products. they should buy it because they think the stock price will go up.

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

what if one buys AAPL because its stock price will go up because it makes good products? ;)

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Isn't that the reason people buy stock in Krispy Kreme? ;)

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is that the reason for the rise of prices, though? i don't think so, i think it's expectations of profit.

imo, stock prices don't reflect the quality of the products being made. case in point: microsoft almost always enjoys a high stock price. it's not the quality of their products, it's their marketshare, profitability, and the promise of those continuing.

22. PalmHarborTchr thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, just wait until it reaches $50?

Today (thursday) it is over $30 a share...not enough money to buy
    a 10.3 upgrade by half....its cheap. Thiry dollars won't buy you
    a good pair of NIKE shoes, $30 wont buy a tank of gas anymore.
    $30 won't buy you a Calvin Klein polo shirt...$30 won't buy you
    a concert ticket to see STING.....its cheap.....buy it now.
    If you really believe in Apple Computer Company and Steve
    Jobs then put your money where your mouth is.

23. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

This banter about Apple being a "must buy" because it's more expensive than ever is silly. Would you buy a pair of new balance's because they cost more than ever? Of course not. Apple stock is trading at a premium, not a discount. Don't buy at a premium. It's a dumb move.

The time to buy would have been a few months (or years) ago. In 1997, Apple's cash cycle was 36 days. At FY end 2001, the cash cycle was -32 days!!! Apple is in great financial shape, but their stock price already reflects that information.

I am a bit of a relaxed rational expectations guy. That is, at any given moment the price of a stock reflects ALL information. Thus, for those who want to buy because of the price, don't waste your money. However, for those of you who think Apple will beat analysts estimates in the coming quarter, go for it. But for pete's sake, don't buy at a premium!!! Let it fall at least a buck or two first. If you buy at $30 and it hits $35, you make 500 points. But, if you buy at $28, and it hits $35, you're up 700 points!!!

Summation: Don't buy a stock cause it's expensive. Ideally, we should buy stocks because they are cheap relative to expected earnings. If everyone buys expensive, we'll have an Apple bubble, and you'll lose the money in the long run.

24. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sorry, but that's gotta be one of the worst rationales i've ever heard of for buying stocks.

let's face it, we are mac enthusiasts and that's all we are. most of us aren't stock analysts or investors. it's one thing to exchange amateur ideas and opinions about apple's hardware or marketing or what have you. it's quite another when we start playing amateur stock analysts and actually get some money involved...

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i suspect that PalmHarborT... has already bought some apple stock and is trying to drive the price up by creating demand.

so let's all short AAPL and take his money :)