Apple stock diving

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by adamb100, Jan 19, 2006.

1. adamb100 macrumors regular

I know it's not rare for other stocks but the past 2 days Apple's stock has been diving. Not worried, just weird.

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It seems like this always happens after they report earnings. The smart ones short a bunch of shares the day before ;)

3. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

the really smart (bold?) ones bought at 22, sold at 83, and shorted at 85.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

About 12-24 months ago.

Honestly though, if it goes down to the $72-$75 range, I may finally decide to invest my petty savings (I'm still in college) in some Apple stock and let it sit there for about 10 years or so during the upcoming revolution, which will not be televised BTW.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Generally, buy when it is down, if it is going to go up.
    Sell when it is up and going to go down.
    If you can accurately predict the "going to's", then you will be a rich Eric.

One truism is that the market goes up on rumor and down on hard news (subscribing to the theory that people will over estimate the effect of the rumor and artificially bid the price up, even if the news turns out to be 100% the same.)

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I just thought with the whole intel switch Apple's market share might go up over the next few years. Therefore their stock would go up also? :confused:

8. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Time to buy intel then. INTC .... tanked last two days, good opportunity to buy?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Stocks go up, stocks go down. If it were completely rational there would be plenty of rich Eric's. ;)

A two day dive after earnings doesn't mean the stock won't go up over the next few years. A deep enough dip could just be the buying opportunity you were looking for.

That said, AAPL is definitely highly valued, probably even overvalued, so there is a definite risk that this could be a peak and it'll never be this high again. Investing in individual stocks is always a riskier business than investing in the overall market.

B

10. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

i would say yes. they just introduced their dual-core yonahs which are finally competitive with amd's offering, and they'll be introducing the 64-bit versions sometime this year as well.

11. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

The best time to buy is when everyone hates the stock. The best time to sell is when everyone loves the stock. (Assuming, that the underlying company is still worthy - do your homework).

12. mac-er macrumors 65816

The smart ones hold on to their shares for long-term investing and don't try to play the market.

13. motc777 macrumors member

motc777

Guys, there was a huge sell off on the NIKKEI in Japan yesterday of close to 1100 points...that had a lot to do with a sell off in general in the USA...