Apple stock up over 5% today! Why?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by HiRez, Dec 1, 2005.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Apple stock up 5.57% today alone, WTF? What did I miss? I don't see "Jobs to present MacWorld keynote" accounting for that!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There's some pressure that increased stock price will lead to a stock split soon.

They also expect that Apple will continue with good news through the end of the year, followed soon after by a release of the first Mactel product.

The Mactel news is an expected growth phase for Apple's computer marketshare, they are expecting Apple to perform better than any other computer maker over the next 12-18 months.

And Apple is a Wallstreet darling at the moment, that alone will keep momentum in the stock with occasional runs and profit taking -- until reality sets in at some point.

---

Biggest is buy on rumors ...

Today's Jobs to Keynote on Jan 2006 is big rumor news since it cements the possibility of the Mactel making 2006 a big year for Apple.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Rumours of Intel-based machines in January + Intel doing well with Yonah processor + stock market doing well in general today = a good day for Apple stock.

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I don't care why as long as it keeps going up and making me some money.:cool:

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Simple answer - it's called the stock market. Anything goes. :cool:

6. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I think I have found the correlation. Whenever a press release of some sort appears with Apple in it, AAPL climbs.

So why did it climb so much today? Well, the SEC filings were released today.

7. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

Were do you go to buy shares in Apple? Im interested.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, as with any stock, common shares are purchased on the stock market. To purchase stocks, you must have an investment advisor of some sort at a brokering or similar firm, or have an online trading account. If you don't even know how to buy stocks though, you probably shouldn't be playing in the stock market quite yet though. :eek: ;)

But by all means, if you want to learn more and get started in the wonderful world of investing and trading, start a thread, ask questions, that sort of thing - I'd be happy to try and assist, as I have a great deal of experience in these matters. :cool:

9. iGary Guest

iGary

They released their 10K filing, and rumors of new Intel products.

*mmmm....money*

10. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

Hi thanks, yeah im quite interested, so im going to do a bit of research, and then see were it all goes from there, thanks for your help

;)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not that I understand the stock market well, but in many cases there isn't a great reason for increases or decreases in share price. In fact, I remember when a huge electronics company (Sony, I think) announced that they made more profit that quarter (or it could have been year) than they have ever made in their history, and yet their share price dropped that day. Messed up, but that's the nature of the market at times.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This kind of thing happens all the time. Share prices can easily drop on higher profit announcements, if the profit increase wasn't quite a large as the market anticipated, or the numbers reveal potential problems down the line, such as lower margins or slowing revenue growth. It is a very complicated business trying to figure out what the stock price will do for any given company over the long term, let alone on any given day.

Right now, AAPL is a pure momentum stock, which means that people are buying it mainly because it's going up. A major correction is certainly not out of the question, since shares do seem to be over-bought.

13. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

maybe the news of the 100 million EU iTunes promo or news on Fox's deal with Apple ??

who knows but it's all good:)

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No worries - if you have further questions, post them, or PM me.

For starters, one excellent resource that comes to mind is Investopedia - a great place to learn lots. But there are many similar sites out there.

Have fun - but be careful - the stock market is very unforgiving. Trust me, I know all too well. ;) :cool:

15. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

16. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Agreed... gotta love seeing that green box next to AAPL on my Stock widget

17. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Ditto. I was astonished to see it top $70 yesterday. I remember getting ten share of it at $39 just a few months ago. Should have gotten 200 :eek:

18. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Better question, what do you think it should be doing? Statistically, or Quantum Electrodynamically, 5% fluxuation is nothing big at all. As long as it doesn't go up 5% for the next week or two.

19. therevolution macrumors 6502

1999 called, they want their mantra back. :p