Apple stock.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrat93, Dec 31, 2006.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I'm 13 years old and I bought 30 shares of Apple at $88.38 about a week ago before it went down. I know it went up about $4 the other day, but will it continue to go up?

2. southbark macrumors regular

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Invest for the long term and ignore day-to-day changes. If you believe in the company and feel they will be doing great things in the future, ignore the noise. Recent weakness is due to the "options scandal". It will pass.

4. wallock, Dec 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

wallock macrumors member

5. Xyl macrumors regular

I think if we all definitively knew it was going to go up, we'd be at least millionaires already ;) :p . Anyhow, it's probably an alright bet to say it is.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

nobody knows if it is going to go up. all we can do is speculate, like every other financial analyst or wall street banker.

i predict it will continue to rise, but not as dramatically as it has in the past 5 years.

7. buffalo macrumors 65816

If the stock can stay about where it is, it may go up if some neat, cool, exciting stuff is announced at MWSF.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You have to be very patient with Apple shares even in the best of times -- the price can go way up or way down for no obvious reason. The next few months could be especially rocky, with the options controversy far from resolved.

9. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

you have to realize that even if your shares go up, the profit multiplied by 30 isn't going to be substantial. I'm willing to bet that if you just earned interest on that lump sum of money (by putting it in maybe some bonds or a high interest savings account) you'd make more money than you would by trading stocks.

10. tcrab macrumors member

Wow! I am impressed that you started investing at 13. Congrats! I'm 18 and still haven't got any stock.:D

My prediction is that Apple stock will go up quite a bit within the next 6 months. It should go up slightly after Mac World San Francisco with is Jan. 8-12th, but especially after the keynote on the 9th which is where they might release some new products. The next big date to look for an increase in stock would be around the time that Apple releases OS X 10.5 Leopard sometime in spring.

I've heard that Apple also likes to do stock splits when there stock reaches $100. So instead of 30 shares you would have 60 shares but the price would drop to about $50 for each share.

This is all speculation however, but good luck with your stock and congrats again.:)

11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I invest my money into CD's. For those that do not know what CD's are its called a Certificate of Deposit. Basically you lock your money into an account guarenteeing the bank that you will not withdraw your money for X time. These CD's generally give you much higher interest rates then a normal savings account. My current CD is for 5.25 percent for 10 months. They are generally 3-5 in my expeirences. I have had several and 5.25 is the highest I have ever had. Most banks require a minimum of 1,000. I know it does not sound like alot, but if you have money sitting in the bank to begin with you might as well go with this as an option.

Also, should the need arise to withdraw, the bank where I get my CD's will allow you to withdraw with the interest in earned up to that day. Some banks though will reneg any interest and others will charge a penalty but be careful.

This is a safe way to make a few extra bucks, generally with money you are saving anyway. It's easy money to be made. I reccomend 10 month CD's. Sometimes they go up and after 10 months you can get a better rate and other times they go down and you want to wish you had it for longer. 10 month has been my magic number.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You do realize that with CDs, after tax and inflation you have made almost nothing on your money. They are safe as long as inflation does not rise significantly in a short period of time but their return is poor at best.

13. acidburn macrumors member

apple stock is pretty volatile. just don't watch the price movements every day or you will go crazy. i have bought and sold apple stock a few times and held it sometimes for just a few months and sometimes a few years, but it has never lost me money (wish i could say the same about the shares of sun i bought back in 99). it's also good to invest in a company that you understand - congrats.

14. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I am a newbie to switching to Mac, but have owned Apple stock a while. The more I use Mac, the more I think Apple is a great investment. It is volatile, but the products are always superior. Half of all college kids seem to have Macs so do you think they will ever switch over to PC's...I don't think so, but more of the PC's are switching to Macs. History shows at this level they split the stock, then with the new OS, possibly iPhone, iTV, and more switchers, the stock should continue to climb. JMO.

15. BigPrince macrumors 68020

$800 in 10 months is pretty sweet in my opinion for money I am saving in the bank anyway...thats like 1-2 paychecks of mine.

But I do understand that one could make more off stocks, I have just chosen to not take the risk yet.

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

You should always balance the risk in your portfolio somehow, especially those with out the time to research their investments in the market.

17. mccldwll macrumors 65816

You bought it because you like apple (which is good) and think there are even greater opportunities in the future (which is better). It's ok to love a stock, but not ok to fall in love with a stock 9which makes you ignore all the flaws/downsides). Ignore the fluctuations, but keep up on where apple may be going. If you like it and it makes sense, you might want to buy some more if/when you have a chance, but only on dips (which will come). If apple starts to go in a direction that you're not so hot on, might want to get out. But think long term. There is a lot of manipulation in the short term.

18. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Thank you everyone.

For the people asking where I got the money, I went to the 5th Ave. Apple store at opening, picked up a few shirts and sold them about $80 a piece and sold 2 Nintendo Wiis on eBay.

19. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

our Investment club bought apple at $13, again at $17, and again at $19 (my recommendation, for all the wrong (right?) reasons-I liked apples). We started selling at $36, and closed our apple stock out at $43. Seemed smart at the time...

20. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I'm 13 and have over $2000... :confused:

21. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

When I was 13 I got $3 a week allowance :(

I have an internet aquaintance that has bought Apple stock prior to their shows (like this one coming up) where they reveal new products and he said the stock has gone up every time. He would buy it low, wait for it to spike after the show, then sell.

Now dont I wish Id bought that google stock a few years ago at $100 a share *cries*

22. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I don't have any allowance. I've just been saving my entire life. And my friend (also 13) happens to own 2 shares of Google.

23. darkwing macrumors 65816

Bad move. I wouldn't buy Apple much over 50. I personally feel it's a $40 stock traded on hype. I made about $600 on some puts recently, which means I make money if the stock goes down. I bought them at 84 and 92, and sold at 82. Just small risk stuff. My guess is you'll see Apple in the 50s again in the next couple months because it seems to crash after the holidays. Summer is probably a good time to buy as they move into the holidays. Well, I wish you success anyway and hope that what I said doesn't come true. I only like to invest in a "sure thing" and apple going down from 92 (or even 84) is a sure thing. At least short term.

24. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I could have saved every penny I found, every dollar I ever earned from birth til age 13 and I bet it wouldnt have been over $100.

25. Excursions macrumors member

$2600 is an impressive investment for a 13 year old if you actually managed to accumulate that on your own. I also recently bought some AAPL but in my opinion you should not be worried about it going back up. If apple releases a phone it will be huge and the stock will obviously benefit from that. My advice is to hold on to your 30 shares for a predetermined period of time such as a year and then sell, don't worry too much about the weekly ups and downs. This last week was very tumultuous because of the stock option woes.
    If you are looking for a safer investment and one much more flexible than CDs, ING offers 4.5% yield on savings accounts with no required balance.