Apple Stopping Sales Of Some Verizon iPads

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is recalling some Verizon/CDMA models of the iPad 2 because of a manufacturing glitch that caused some of the devices to carry a duplicate identification number, causing issues with 3G service. Apple told the Wall Street Journal that the number of iPads affected was "extremely small".

[​IMG]

We have gotten several reports of iPads being suddenly "returned to shipper" by FedEx, with some even being pulled from the delivery truck on the way to their final destination.

News of the recall surfaced earlier today, with a number of reports from Apple's support forums mentioning iPads disappearing during shipping.

Article Link: Apple Stopping Sales Of Some Verizon iPads

2. macrumors 68000

is it now Verizon/CDMA or is it 3G ... or did I miss that Verizon is now on 3G?

3. macrumors regular

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

EVDO is 3G. Some people even consider 1xRTT to be 3G.

5. macrumors 6502

smileyborg

"Apple Stopping Sales Of Some Verizon iPads" is a sensationalist and misleading title that doesn't exactly match up with the real story...

6. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Since, by my experience with FEDEX, I am AMAZED they have/ had the capability to do this, since they haven't a freaking clue where most of their packages are, and since 4 Apple orders over the years have gone from Orlando to JACKSONVILLE before disappearing forever, instead of ORLANDO to OCALA and out for delivery. My losses to Apple have been over 5K,and all replaced by Apple. I still remain baffled as why Apple still deals with this Company:rolleyes:

7. macrumors regular

inket

I agree.

[​IMG]

8. macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Nice one Apple! In here trying to operate a mobile equipment with duplicated imei would result in a nice ride in a police car. At least they are trying to contain the damage.

9. macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Awesome! I can't wait for the media to totally blow this out of proportion and once again infect their embellishments into every news medium, so that all I hear this weekend from every anchor, columnist and radio personality is that Apple is recalling all iPad 2s and how this likely spells the beginning of the end for the company.

Maybe, if I'm lucky, we may even get some rival CEO publishing some snide comment as he tries to spin the situation to his advantage.

10. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple - Yep, they got the right company.
    Stopping - They took some off the shelves, so those iPads sure aren't 'going.'
    Sales - That's what 'taking them of the shelves' is talking about.
    Of - A preposition. No problems here.
    Some - As in "not all."
    Verizon - That's the right version, yeah.
    iPads - ...and...yep. That looks like an iPad to me.

Well, all the words check out. I think you may have made a mistake or something because I don't see a problem here.

11. macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

12. macrumors 68030

13. macrumors G3

THey didn't stop "sales" of anything. They still sell them. They stopped some shipments, if by "stopped" we include "delayed."

And the cause of the problem is now revealed to be a simple glitch involving repeating IMEI numbers.

14. KTF
    macrumors regular

KTF

+1 Now Wach the Sensitives Verizon Fanboys :D

15. macrumors 68020

b166er

If anything this shows someone was doing their job and caught the problem before it became a bigger problem. Should those duplicate units have been checked before shipping? Sure. But someone was paying attention enough to realize what happened before 10,000 duplicates rolled off the line and that's a good thing. I'd rather have my iPad order delayed than get a unit with a duplicate number, resulting in more headaches and ultimately the return/exchange/wait for another iPad.

No matter how far we come, a person that is tired, hungry, emotional, etc, will still make mistakes from time to time while they're at work.

16. macrumors newbie

ya i got the news about it as well..
    i think the issue is due to the connectivity issue and was seen in those which has been ordered from online stores..

i think they are recalling the ipad 2

17. macrumors 6502a

Reading comprehension fail. Apple makes the iPads, not Verizon.

18. macrumors 6502a

being a fanboy of a phone company is IMHO one of the stupidest things one could do

19. macrumors member

Apple sent me a pre-paid box to ship my iPod in for repair and Fedex left it outside on the sidewalk in plain sight in a rain storm no less. Didn't bother to get a signature. At least when UPS does that, they put it in a plastic bag! It was totally ruined. This was like just 2 weeks ago.

20. macrumors member

CDMA Fail, if anything. Not saying that GSM is inherently better or worse, but if I understand the news correctly, this particular issue could not crop up in devices relying on SIM cards.

21. macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, that depends entirely on your definition of "this particular issue". A GSM device could suffer from the equivalent issue of duplicated IMEI numbers, which wouldn't be good either and would require a recall just as well.

This is not "CDMA fail", it is "Apple fail".

22. macrumors regular

Macrumors' article writing is going seriously downhill.

23. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just converted my family plan to Verizon within the past couple months and ran into this issue (non-Apple handset). Brand new phone, but I get halfway through the activation and it fails because it has the same IMEI as another phone that's activated somewhere else. It took a week and a another new phone to get things straightened out. Kind of an interesting coincidence that this is happening to Apple now too, and I wonder who's fault this actually is. Does Verizon supply blocks of IMEIs to Apple for use in manufacturing? Regardless, I think that Apple did exactly the right thing given the circumstances.

24. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Agreed..! Same with Engadget, they are starting to get a snide ass-holey tone and misleading incorrect information.

25. macrumors regular

jabbawok

And that is why proper networks use a SIM. Stupid CDMA.