Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
Im done with the waiting and buying a 17 inch powerbook tomorrow at my local apple store, at least probably but I might end up getting at 12inch or ibook after I test them all out a little more. But anyways all I really want to know is can you buy a powerbook straight from an apple store and have them add memory into the notebook right there that day? Id much rather just do that then order everything online and not get it till around the end of the week. Im going on a long trip tuesday and would love to have it for the ride but I do want to max out the memory.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Re: Apple store add memory?

Originally posted by synthetickittie
Im done with the waiting and buying a 17 inch powerbook tomorrow at my local apple store, at least probably but I might end up getting at 12inch or ibook after I test them all out a little more. But anyways all I really want to know is can you buy a powerbook straight from an apple store and have them add memory into the notebook right there that day? Id much rather just do that then order everything online and not get it till around the end of the week. Im going on a long trip tuesday and would love to have it for the ride but I do want to max out the memory.

Apple charges three times as much on RAM as you'd spend on mail order, and they won't install third party RAM at their store. You have to go to a third party authorized service provider at http://www.apple.com/buy to install third party RAM. Good third party RAM dealers are listed here:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html#RAM

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Yes, the Apple store should be able to add RAM while you wait. Just call before you go in to make sure they have the RAM in stock and that someone will be available to do it when you get there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.