Apple Store Aggravation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cmvsm, Nov 13, 2004.

1. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Hello everyone,
    Thought I'd give you my Apple store experience to see if it is a normal one. I went in tonight and bought a 20" Apple Cinema display (the acrylic one) for $999 new. :D Thought it was a great price and couldn't pass it up.

I asked the manager to see the monitor working before I left to ensure that there were no dead pixels. The store refused saying that if they did it for everyone they'd end up with a load of opened boxes in the backroom. I can see their point, however, I'm dumping a grand on a monitor and I expect to see that it works. So I said I was giving it as a present, (didn't say to myself..he he) and she gave me a holiday receipt to extend the return deadline to January 9th which was pretty cool.

She stated that if it was unacceptable for whatever reason I could exchange it for another as in her words "its only $1,000 so they would want to make me happy". I also mentioned that there was a possibility that it might not work if not checked first, and her response was greatly inferred as "its an Apple, of course it will work". Right after I say that is when I get hit in the head with a DOA monitor so she should bite her tongue.

I bought it because the deal was too good to pass and I visually prefer the old model to the new, but won't be able to plug it in until I get my G5 in a couple of weeks. I certainly wasn't going to spend $100 bucks on a DVI converter so I could plug it into my PC as I'd get hit with the restocking fee when I returned it. Maybe I can find one online for much cheaper.

The whole experience was kind of annoying actually, but I guess you wouldn't be able to see it work if you were to buy online which was my other alternative. Anybody have this kind of experience? They also charge a 10% restocking fee if you return it.. :eek:

2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

If it's a used monitor, I can see the point of wanting to see it running first (though at our store, we often refuse those, because we pre-test every one of them), but with a new-in-box product, it's a big hassle, especially when the thing is covered under warranty anyway. Apple may be in a different position than we are, but we can't even take advantage of the end user warranty. That means that if we test the machine, and it's DOA, we can't even get it fixed for ourselves. We would have to RMA it, and hope they take it back, and that we don't get hit with a restock fee. The store is in the same position as the consumer, the vast majority of the time.

I actually prefer stores that have restock fees. This is primarily because I, as all people should, carefully consider my purchases before making them. So, I'm not the type to come back in a few days and try to return an item. Moreover, it allows us to recoup transaction fees (Visa, Mastercard, etc.), and gives us a way to deal with unreasonable customers, without outright refusing the return. My return policy is clearly posted, and we don't take back open product (officially, because we can't sell it as new), but if the package is in good condition, and the customer is whining that we sold them the wrong product (These claims are either false, or due to their failure to mention something crucial. Eg. My coworker once sold an Airport Express to a woman who failed to mention she only had dial up), I can assuage them by taking the product back, but hit them with the restock fee, so they know they're in the wrong.

All in all, despite by digressions, I can see Apple's position on this. Yes, you may be spending $1000, but does that mean you should get extra service? Moreover, how many other people spend at least $1000 in the Apple Store everyday? They don't get their machines tested in store, either.