Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As it works on introducing some major changes to the third-party accessory sections of its retail stores, Apple has launched a new section in its online store dedicated to "Apple Tested Cases."

The new page is displayed alongside third-party iPhone and iPad cases and outlines the testing procedures for Apple-approved Made for iPhone/iPad (MFi) third-party cases that Apple sells both online and in its retail stores. Designed to reassure customers about the quality of the third-party accessories available from Apple, the site goes over several testing parameters that cases must meet, including design, camera, acoustics, sensors, and cellular and wireless.

appletestedcases.jpg
We analyze how a case fits, so you can still access every button, port, and jack. And a series of drop tests tells us the design is strong enough for day-to-day use.
Each case must fit the iPhone or iPad exactly, leaving all ports and features accessible. The camera and flash must be unobstructed, cases can't interfere with FaceTime, phone calls, or audio sound, and sensors for ambient light and Touch ID must work the same with the case on and off. Cellular, Wi-Fi, and NFC connectivity are also tested, with each case needing to meet Apple's standards for signal quality.

Apple has long engaged in these testing procedures to make sure accessories are compliant with its MFi programs, but the launch of the "Apple Tested Cases" page marks the first time that Apple's prominently shared its testing guidelines with the public.

The introduction of the page comes as Apple prepares to revamp the third-party accessory sections in many of its retail locations, cutting down on the number of accessories offered and packaging many of them in boxes that were co-designed by Apple to match the packaging of its own products.

Article Link: Apple Adds New 'Apple Tested Cases' Page to Online Store

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
This is rather pointless? Who in their right mind sells cases that don't actually properly fit the product?

In other news... My Apple Leather case in blue for my iPhone 6 Plus has been holding up quite terribly these last few months.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Despite the text in the header image, Apple has yet to go into the prophylactic business. This is a good thing considering Apple's inability to prevent manufacturing leaks.

Reactions: macs4nw

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This is good to information to know, but I still only trust Apple cases to protect my devices.
There are plenty of 3rd-party cases that will do an as good or better job protecting your device.
In other news... My Apple Leather case in blue for my iPhone 6 Plus has been holding up quite terribly these last few months.
I've been using an Apple leather case on my iPhone 5s since October 2013 and it has held up fine.

BellsWhistles

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
California
This is rather pointless? Who in their right mind sells cases that don't actually properly fit the product?

I had to laugh at this... This past spring, I bought a Logitech Keyboard (bluetooth keyboard auto switch) case for an iPad Air2. I was told unequivocally that the case was for the iPad Air, and therefore should work with the new iPad. Well .. it didn't. Apple had relocated the magnets in the iPad Air2, so the cases switch for the keyboard would not activate. Thank you in store genius sales people.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012

Uh.. Amazon? There's a huge market for cheap cases imported from China.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
This is actually the first time I discovered something like that by myself as I just bought a Sena case for my wife.

Normally I'm reading it first here on MacRumors and wonder how people find out such stuff

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
This testing makes me laugh given I've got the logitech ultrathin case - for ipad air2 and the BT disconnects are dire. 8.4 seems to have made inroads but I'm on my second case from Amazon and wondering whether to ditch it in favour of something else... Where has the testing been for that?!

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
So in other words they are partnering with some case manufacturers? At least this is how it seems. I don't see them going out of their way to buy random 3rd party cases and test them without a prior agreement with the company.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I hope they really are testing them properly - I had a case I bought in the Apple shop, one of those leather ones that looks like a book, and was also a wallet. After a few weeks the leather that held my credit card had worn away at the screen of my iPhone! Apple gave me a refund and replaced the iPhone, so can't complain about the service, but it would have been better if they'd known about the issue and not sold the case.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
in light of the "quality" of their ipad leather cases, i'm not sure if that certification means anything but a price-markup for the licence fees.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
So? What counts is now, not the past, otherwise we'd still be complaining about Apple Maps.

What counts is now? How many releases did it take for iOS 7 to be solid? By your logic when iOS 8 limped to release the past didn't matter. And then iOS 8 was shot out and it's taken 9 months to get it straight. Apple will push this same BS again. History tells us even if you want to shut your ears that it will take months to get iOS 9 to become solid.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I hope they remember to test the cases for compatibility with the camera flash. I've had to ditch a couple of cases for older iPhones in the past because when I tried to use the camera flash, the case amplified the flash and caused the photo to be a white blurry mess. I've stuck to black iPhone cases since then. Boring for me. But they work with the flash fine.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

A quick search on eBay and Amazon and you will find plenty of low quality cases (some priced below a dollar) that don't fit well, are brittle and crack on the first drop.

This is why Apple created this program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.