apple store bluewater..who's going?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by asif786, Jul 5, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey guys,

so, who's going to the apple store bluewater opening? apparantly it opens this saturday. http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=12005

spidey? hob? hector?

i would love to go, so long as we have a macrumors 'posse' that'd be great!

post here if you're planning on coming..it's kinda in the middle of nowhere (well, compared to regent street) so maybe we could have a meet at the london store and go down there together or something...

look forward to seeing some of you guys!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm not comitting either way! What time is the opening?

3. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

lol, no probs. i dont want anyone to commit or even to commit myself..but if there's at least a few of us going, i'd love to go..it's nice to have a rough guide.

i believe it'll be at 10am. i'll probably phone centre management later in the week to see what their plans are (i.e. if we have to queue outside, or what..)

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I wonder how the queing system will work as Bluewater opens it doors to the public at 9:00 most shops open at 10:00. Will there be a huge rush for the Apple Store ? Unless of course you could persade the Bluewater guards you worked at say Starbucks when you could get in at 8:00 or earlier and be first in the que :rolleyes: ?

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd have been there - and I could have got into the mall early since I know people at JL Bluewater...

...but I'm up in Scotland til Sunday.

Looks like Regent St will be my sole grand opening T-shirt!

EDIT: Store is opening at 9am - I've just had an email from Apple to tell me.

6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I'm thinking about going.

Anyone found out any more about if they are letting us queue inside the shopping centre or not??

Thanks

::20ROGERSC::

7. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

i see, i see. so it's like that is it? scotland takes priority? FINE!. :p j/k :D

it's a shame you won't be there, but hey. :)

with regards to timings..i think it's generally at security's discretion, unless apple have a prior arrangement with them..

8. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I can't see there is much point queing too early. There are no "Bags" like London and I would think you should be able to arrive at 10:00 and still have a pretty fair chance of being in the first 1000 for a t-shirt. Thats what I'm hopeing anyway!

9. nw43 macrumors regular

Those of you that do go, make sure you're correctly attired, i.e. no hoodies! :rolleyes:

10. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

LMAO I forgot about that!! I must now remember to my sweatshirt.

So what time are others getting there?? I don't want my 'group (of 3)' to be queing all by ourselves.

Any understandings of why they aren't doing the bags at this opeing?? I really wanted one of them at the London Store opening.

11. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

The lucky bags promotion only happens at the opening of the main stores not the minis. I queued from 5.30 the night before to get mine at the London opening.

12. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Thanks Sly

So how big/small is the Bluewater Store? I've never been up there, so I have no idea on what to expect. I've been on their website, but havn't really found anyhting out, apart from it is on the higher level!

Has anyone got any pictures of what the store looks like at the moment. Because I'm not sure on whether I should make the trip up from the south coast.

Thanks

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's not a flagship store (Regent Street is) so it's probably only half as big at best (single floor).

14. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Thanks for that robbieduncan

How big are the other shops at Bluewater. Can anyone compare it to Churchill Square in Brighton? I really can't decide whether it will be worth the journey up for what I am picturing as a fairly small place. Could any others fill me in?

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bluewater is a massive mall complex. There are 3 anchor stores - John Lewis, House of Fraser and Marks & Spencer - laid out at the points of a triangle. Then there are lots of other stores linking them on two levels.

There's also a cinema and a lots of restaurants so it's very easy to spend a day there without having to spend it all in the Apple Store. The other stores vary in size from the large anchors to two floor stores of GAP, Virgin, HMV to the single level stores.

Here's the picture from ifoapplestore of when it was still being built.

[​IMG]

16. iLaw macrumors newbie

I believe Bluewater is the biggest shopping centre in Europe, or it was when it first opened. I've been there a few times in the past week (I don't live to far away) and the store up close looks about the same size as the rest of the stores (comparing other boarded up stores to the Apple Store).

If you are going down there and you can't get into the main shopping area you can camp out in M&S from 8:30am. When I last went to Bluewater early the main shopping area was open an hour before the shops actually opened (there was eating typed places open) but I'm not sure if that happens on Saturday.

Have fun anyone who is going down.

Edit - AppleSpider, it was still like that yesterday.

Apple's Bluewater Website
    Bluewater

17. witness macrumors 6502

I live quite close to Bluewater but I can't make Saturday :(

They should make store openings a 2 day event.

18. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

Thinking of going

I am thinking of going but apart from the MacRumors kudos of having been to an Apple Store opening are there any giveaway goodies. I see above mention that bags are only for the main stores but will there be any other goodies to entice me to come?

John

19. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Not anymore

Due to the terrible events in London this morning, I am now not even considering going.

20. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

i dont think i will be either. events like this put everything in perspective..it'll be such a sullen mood anyway, so what's the point?

i wonder if apple will postpone. i expect they'll get hardly any turnout..if they keep it as it is.

21. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

It will be great if they do change it, it will lighten up the visitors, and make the whole atmosphere a lot better if they delay it a week.

22. mfluderx macrumors newbie

Important Information regarding Apple Bluewater store opening

Hi All,

Just got this reply from Bluewater Shopping Centre Customer Services, regarding queuing overnight at the Bluewater shopping centre for the Apple store opening:

Dear Robert,

Thank you for visiting the Bluewater website.

Queuing will be permitted from 7.00am on opening day, although our car parks are accessible twenty four hours a day.

We look forward to welcoming you to Bluewater.

Kind regards,

Julia Proporowicz
    Guest Services.

So no overnight queuing like Regents Street (15-hours in the cold) :(

23. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Agreed I was going and now I have no intention of even trying to get there.

24. dbz2net macrumors newbie

dbz2net

Two geeks gathering at Bluewater car park...

Hello!
    Well since our broaden choices of passing the time are reduced to play console/pc and watch babylon 5 and stargate, we decided (im still sober) to spend a day and a night waiting for that store to open...
    We plan to go there now and well... see what happens next... lol

We dont fear of any bombing suicide mujahideen blokes as i dont think they want to target 2 geeks lol... so we are going there and i ask for those who wants to join us in a crusade to get a few t-shirts and/or free itunes vouchers to say something here :D :cool:

Long live the pristine white of the Mac's :p