Apple Store - Century City, CA

Discussion in 'iPhone Purchaser Meetups' started by modul8tr, Jun 15, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

2. macrumors newbie

I might be there.

I have to first check and see what my situation is with porting my number over from Verizon. Has anyone dealt with this?

(I'm thinking about getting the white iPhone.)

3. thread starter macrumors regular

There should be no problem. You can port any number.

Last year I was able to port from Sprint ( :rolleyes: ) to AT&T using iTunes, without a problem.

4. macrumors 6502

I helped a friend port their verizon number to AT&T through iTunes a couple of months ago: very simple and straight forward.

5. macrumors regular

I'll be there. Any limit on the number of phones we can buy? I only want 2. Also, how early are people queueing up for it?

6. thread starter macrumors regular

AT&T said there was a 3 phone limit now? I read it somewhere and don't remember. In any case, I'm sure you can buy at least two.

Last year I got there at 10 or 11 A.M. I got in no problem (within the first 100 people) and someone paid me $100 cash to buy them a phone, as the line was INCREDIBLY long by 6 p.m.

This year, myself (or a friend) will be there earlier. Sometime between 7-9 A.M. We'll switch off and hang out all together from around noon onward.

It'll be a blast!!! (yes I'm a nerd).

7. macrumors newbie

Regarding porting..

Thanks for the answers. Do I have to make any prior arrangements with Verizon before I port a number over? Sorry for these questions, but I'm very new to the process. The phone's about 21 months old and is part of a family plan, so I don't think I'd be breaking a contract by doing this..

8. macrumors regular

Enrico

Going stay at UCLA for July....still wondering where to go to get one in LA!:cool:

9. macrumors 6502

distortedloop

No. Don't do anything with Verizon prior to your purchase. AT&T will take care of it autmatically when you activate. Trying to be pro-active could cause you issues.

Switching (porting numbers) is pretty common, and it's painless and automatic when you buy your new phone.

10. macrumors regular

I will most likely be hitting up the Glendale Galleria store.

11. macrumors newbie

Last year WAS great cuz we sat in A/C all day lol

12. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that helped lol ;)

Hopefully we'll get the hookup this year as well.

13. macrumors member

Im considering going to this apple store or the one at the Groove, does anybody now which one was worst last year?

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Well, Century City had AC and you were allowed to leave and come back. They had a sign in etc.

The Grove from what I read (and when I called them) had a CRAZY line from about 9 A.M. onward. Out in the sun, wrapping throughout the complex.

I chose Century and was quite pleased.

The Grove however, had the most iPhones. I think that's the flagship store for the area. I was in the first hundred campers for Century City, but I believe everyone - in what became a very long line - got an iPhone.

15. macrumors regular

Enrico

What do you mean? You took a sort of number and then came back shortly before the launch re-opening?

16. macrumors member

so AT&T let's you port your #, but would this apply if ur not as close to the end of your verizon contract? if you just buy the iphone and port the # at activation, would verizon just bill u for the prorated amount of the ETF? I'm about 17 months into my latest verizon contract and would most likely (if I can't talk my way out of it) have to pay the ETF anyway. sucks.

and it's either century city or the manhattan beach village store for me!

17. thread starter macrumors regular

There was a security guard at a table with a sign in list. Next to your name was a number. That number was your place in line.

We were inside a giant room and were allowed to leave for about an hour at a time. Some of us left for longer than that and it wasn't a problem. Closer to launch time (4-4:30 or so), they started getting really strict about how long you could leave the room or if you could.

The set up this year may or may not be the same. I'd imagine it would be similar though.

18. macrumors newbie

I'll Be there

Yeah i will be there early that day with some friends, reply please to my messgae if i will see you there:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

19. macrumors newbie

Poll

Hey,
    I am trying to take a quick poll

Please answer the following as a reply to me,

1. Did you camp out for the original iphone at century city
    2. What place in line
    3. Will you be camping out at this years century city launch
    4.What time do you plan on arriving
    5.Black or white iPhone, 8 or 16 GB

20. macrumors newbie

Century City was much better, they had everythigng it was really fun, i was 44th in line

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors 603

janey

Ah, shoot. This time the launch is going to be in the morning instead of evening. Wonder what it's going to be like to show up at 4 in the morning or something. Can you even park there that early? I keep forgetting to call the store to ask...since it is a bit far to walk at like 3 in the morning from home :)

fwiw last year's line at the grove wasn't bad. i showed up a couple hours early and we were wrapping around the grove (not very far..just up/down the street and around banana republic), and it wasn't a very long wait to get an iPhone (although iirc I might have heard some rumors about the 4gb one selling out or something). The apple store folks were coming by with water/popsicles, the grove management handed out umbrellas for shade and some of the nearby businesses were pretty friendly - one was passing out ice cream samples :D

Anyway, yeah. I think I'll have to wait to make up my mind about when to come..mostly the parking situation.

Protip: like the grove, westfield gives you free parking for the day if you spend a minimum..seems like it's $250 (linky), so even more of a reason to buy the 16gb iPhone and to spring for valet parking :D

23. macrumors newbie

I will be there 4AM the latest because we will be there forever if we are not in the first 60 people, because apple will nly let 30 people in at a time every 20 minutes

24. macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what time the parking structure opens for early line ups,
    and if we need to go to a specific mall enterance?

thanks,

FCD

25. macrumors regular

i've actually parked in the mall around 7:30 once, so I know that there is parking at that time. I'm guessing they open the parking up early for the store employees that need to setup the stores. You might be lucky at 7am too. I'm willing to bet they won't be open for parking at 4am.

Also, is it possible to have people wait in line for you?