Apple Store "Deals" section selling DVD-R's

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by IndyGopher, Jan 7, 2004.

1. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Anyone care to speculate why Apple is selling off the 2X and 4X Blank DVD's in the Special Deals section of the Apple Store? Will the new machines have 8X drives? Does anyone make an 8X DVD-R?

2. nologo macrumors member

Philips has 8X DVD+R media, I believe I saw Maximum PC say that used 8X Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs, And companies such a Plextor have been shipping 8X DVD+R drives for some time now.

There's also the potential of Dual Layer DVD's coming out, I suppose. I haven't seen any on the market, but there's potential.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

the latest superdrives in the g5's are said to be of the dual-format variety (DVD+-R/w, CD+-R/w)

we'll likely see a downwards filtration to the imacs at the g5 revision.. looks good for the future.

4. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Thanks for the heads-up. I just bought 5 boxes at $7.35/box of 5 (w/ govt ee discount). Since my PB isn't going to sprout a faster superdrive overnight, the 2x media is fine for me, and this is a good price for the quality Apple DVD media.

Add tax and shipping and we're still well below $2/disc.

For comparison, note that 3 packs of Sony DVD-Rs are going for $15.99 on Amazon.

:D

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

they are in that section cause apple recently lowered the price on them, making them a "deal"

iJon