Apple Store Discounts?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wano, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I was wondering if employees at Apple Stores are allowed to buy a friend or family member a computer using their employee discount and what is the discount?

2. Will Jones macrumors member

If you do have a friend or family member that is an Apple store employee, why wouldn't you simply ask them to buy it for you (and reimburse them afterwards)?

3. Will Jones macrumors member

Sorry... reading my initial post, it kinda sounds like I'm just reiterating your question. What I meant was Why not??? So yes, I assume they can. At least, I don't foresee any reason as to why they would not be able to. But I may be wrong.

(The daughter of some good friends of my parents is a flight attendant. For that reason, their family get cheap fares whenever they travel)

4. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the reason I am asking is cause I don't have much cash and in order to get a good apple I may need to ask someone who I don't know to well, to buy a system with my money using their discount...is there anything wrong that?

5. Will Jones macrumors member

Well, I wouldn't like to imagine what this employee's manager would say if he were to find out (hypothetically, of course). I also don't like the chances of an Apple store employee offering to do this for free, either. If I was going to do the same, I would ask one of the employees, and if they hesitated (too much), I would offer them a percentage of the money I would save with the discount.
    Do you know how much of a discount Apple store employees get? Because it may be that you will reconsider and see it as 'not worth it' once you find out - Just a possibility.

(Before I write the next paragraph, I should tell you that I just realised that something I wrote in my above post is actually incorrect. The flight attendant's family that I mentioned... Well I just remembered that she (the FA) was only able to nominate one person for the employee discounts that she is subject to. She nominated her younger brother. So he is the only one in the family eligible (other than the FA herslef) for the discounted flight fares - not the whole family... sorry)

I doubt that Apple gets it's store employees to nominate someone for employee discounted products (as Qantas does)... To me, it just seems impractical. So actually, now that I think about it, I would say that the employees themselves would be the only ones eligible for the discounts. But of course, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. (wink, wink).

Wait and see what knowledge others on the board have to share...

6. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah thanks...I was thinking that it would be appropriate to offer them money for it, kind of like a bride, because it will take some of their time. I would definately be willing to pay them $100-150 for their favor. It will still save a lot, that is if the discount they get is 30% or more, I know compusa gives their employees 50% of off hardware.

7. Will Jones macrumors member

:eek: 30%... I doubt it will be that much. But I'm really not sure.

8. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

If you're a student try Apple Developer Connection. 20-25%discounts.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I gonna have to say they dont get a lot of off on products. i think it is more the people who are higher up in the apple hiearchy that get better stuff.

iJon

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

All i know is that when my brother in college tried to get a student discount on Jaguar when in the actual store they siad in store discounts are only on systems, so i had to pay for it myself, not that it isn't worth it, but now I cant buy both a Graphire and a Palm Zire....rrrrrrrrrrr

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Any discounts are probably no better than the education/developer discounts. What's more, they probably put a limit on purchases for just this reason. Something like 1 system per year, or 1 laptop and 1 desktop per year. Otherwise every employee would start taking potential customers out back to cut side deals.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

When I was buying my new MDD PowerMac I went down to our local Apple Store (private chain) and asked if they would be able to do the Apple Educational Discount. What I found out is that the educational discount that Apple offers on the web is in some cases lower then the purchase cost of the local Apple Store. So they could not offer it. In fact the employ I was talking to recently bought a new laptop and he went to the local university to get it because the price was cheaper especially on laptops then the stores cost.