Apple Store/Education Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by madforrit, Jun 7, 2003.

1. madforrit macrumors regular

So I've decided to spring for a new 15 gig ipod (yay me and my credit card). I was going to go down to my local Apple store to pick one up, but does anyone know if you can get the education price (from the Apple Store for Education website) at an Apple retail store? It's a $30 discount on the ipod...which is nice but *almost* not worth it to wait a week longer if I have to order online.........

yay education discounts. yay college. :rolleyes:

thanks.

--mad :mad:

2. evil macrumors 6502

i dont know about the apple store itself, but what about at a university computer store?

3. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

Well i'm home from school, and the university where i'm working right now has the most god awful staff -- bunch of crooks that try to cheat me everytime i go there. They're never successful, but the fact they try annoys me so I don't like to go there. (it's easy to cheat people when they don't care about the price...most of the orders at said university are departmental purchase orders anyways)

So yeah, I'd prefer to go to the ol' Apple Store.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yep, you can get the discount. you just have to fill out a form once there... and, of course, bring your school id.

i got my 3G 10 GB iPod for $270 at the apple store in Novi, MI a few weeks ago.

5. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect! Thank you jxyama! I'm off to the Apple Store to get my ipod!!!!!!!!!!!
    *does the ipod dance, reminiscent of nick and his Baby Got Back "shuffle"*

6. evil macrumors 6502

damn i wish i could afford an ipod. im still paying off debt incurred from buying a 12 pb

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

though i am 100% sure, call the store, if you can.

you can ask if your iPod's in stock too.

(i got the discount and i'm sure it's 100% uniform across different apple stores, but i don't want you to take ANY chance of being disappointed!)

8. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

jxyama, you are correct. They offer any hardware discounts for education at the Apple Store. When I was last there though, they told me you could only get the software discounts from their web site. The guy might have been wrong about the software, but that's what he said. He definitely said that they honor all Educational hardware discounts though.

Alia

9. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

well, for future reference we now know that the Apple Store does honor educational discounts on hardware because....

I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!! Got my 15 gig today.

Can I just say that the packing of the thing is so cool? Weeeeeeeeee!!! :D

10. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    when I bought my first Apple machine (667 TiBook) I bought it education from the Apple web site and was happy about the discount. Then I sold it when the 1GHz TiBook came out and instead of getting off the web I went to my universities Apple Store and got an even bigger discount than if I had bought it off the web! I was extremely happy to say the least! I would recomend to anyone to go to their schools Apple Store if they have one.

11. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. The educational discounts are absolutely awesome.

I've grown up used to them I suppose. My parents are faculty at a university, so our Macs have always been educationally priced. And when I got to college, I bought a Pismo with a nice edu discount (about a month and a half before the Tibooks came out).

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

judging by the numerous intial problems with the tiBook you probably were more lucky than anything for buying that month...

13. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I paid something like 2400 for the Pismo 500. It's over 2 and a half years old and still rock solid, which like you said couldn't exactly be said for the revA tibooks. :D

Contemplating that new 900mhz Powerlogix upgrade for Pismos. It would still leave me with my 8 meg video card though, which is the bottleneck in this machine for now...

I am considering selling this thing though and picking up a 12" Albook. I should check how much I can get on ebay for this thing...