Apple Store - Educational Pricing for K-12 Students

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikes63737, Jul 9, 2006.

?

Do you think that Apple's educational pricing program should include K-12 students?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. I don't care.

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Do you think that the educational pricing program should cover K-12 students?

2. iShane macrumors 6502a

Absolutely! That would be great.

3. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Everyone send an e-mail to Steve if you think this is a good idea!

steve@mac.com

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Microsoft considers them students, shouldn't Apple also?

A good compromise might be only High School students (because up until High School, it's the parents buying the stuff for their kids).

5. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I wish it did. My mom takes some college courses (she's already got a masters and is studying for to be an MD) and so I had to use her discount- even though I am a full time highschool student and I take classes at Portland State University (French) but not enough credits to qualify.

Highschoolers often need computers (I am a finalist in the NW Film Center's Youth Film Festival, for example, and I needed my computer for that) and it is ridiculous that only college students qualify.

6. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Yes. I'm in grade 9, so I don't get a discount, good thing my bro gets one.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I was asking the Compusa guy in the apple section and he said that I could get the discount and I'm in high school. So was he lieing?

8. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

that may just be a special CompUSA discount. As an 8th grader, I'd love some nice discounts!

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that since parents are most likely to be purchasing the computer for the student at that age, the student discount should not apply.

10. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Don't believe anything a guy claiming to know about Apple at CompUSA says. In my experience I always know more than them...

11. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

i agree completely, K-12 students' computers are probably bought by their parents so..

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

13. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

tru' dat.

14. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Parents purchase plenty of college laptops as well...in fact most people I know who are going to college are being bought a laptop either as a graduation present or as a necessity...

While K-8 may be purchased by parents, there are quite a few highschoolers buying their own equipment. There is no reason that a working highschooler should be denied a discount over a working college student...

15. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

There are plenty of kids at my school (including myself) who have bought their own computer. I will admit that kids in 8th grade and under either don't buy their own computers or have their own computers, but high school students should be included. Then again, high school kids live with their families, and college kids don't. You wouldn't want any family who happens to have a high school student to have a free computer.

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not necessarily. Computers have become more than just an education tool for teenagers. I would venture to say that most teenagers use their computers for music, IMing, and gaming. Considering students turn 16 while they are in high school, this means that most are learning to drive for the first time, and applying for their first job. ...What might they do with this newly earned money?...

17. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Buy a PowerMac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p
    or MacPro, or whatever the thing will be called:D

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This is one thing that always pissed people off when I worked for Apple. People would come in and walk out in a huff because they couldn't get the discount.

I was like, "sorry man. better luck FOUR YEARS FROM NOW!" No, seriously. It's kinda deranged. I mean, they want everyone to believe they're computers are better for the education market. But... they don't give discounts to those who are being educated...

19. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I don't understand. I thought it already did? I bought my iMac in Canada with an edu discount... :confused:

20. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

3/4 of the time, where I am from, the parents either say "here, use our crappy HP in the basement if you want... or buy your own computer".

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, I think that Apple should offer education discounts for students K-12. :)

Good point Onizuka! :)