Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Wow... i'm tempted to do this now and see the reaction. I thought with the recent improvements made to retail, they would at least make sure that their employees would know what products they sell.
I don't understand how this can happen it's not like they're selling PCs there are very few types of Mac.

Reactions: long way to go

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Wow. The guys at the Accidental Tech podcast really tell it like it is about Hackintoshes and especially the Mac Mini. "it is one of those products that Apple begrudgingly keeps around and hates and keeps making worse in the hope that people stop wanting them and buy an iMac instead."

http://atp.fm/episodes/177

The part about the Mac Mini starts at 1hour 5min.
The Hackintosh part starts at 41min 50sec.
[doublepost=1468198098][/doublepost]
Wow... i'm tempted to do this now and see the reaction. I thought with the recent improvements made to retail, they would at least make sure that their employees would know what products they sell.
I don't understand how this can happen it's not like they're selling PCs there are very few types of Mac.

Listen to the latest Accidental Tech podcast for the reason why.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Wow. The guys at the Accidental Tech podcast really tell it like it is about Hackintoshes and especially the Mac Mini. "it is one of those products that Apple begrudgingly keeps around and hates and keeps making worse in the hope that people stop wanting them and buy an iMac instead."

http://atp.fm/episodes/177

The part about the Mac Mini starts at 1hour 5min.
The Hackintosh part starts at 41min 50sec.
[doublepost=1468198098][/doublepost]

Listen to the latest Accidental Tech podcast for the reason why.
That quote made me laugh it's so true.

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014

I guess you are saying Apple employees can't find it with both hands. Oops! That would be mean. I should say Apple executives cannot find it.

I have encountered employees who did not know Apple built the first laser printer. Of course there are many other firsts. The Mini was the first small form factor (SFF) machine. Look to see how many other companies make them now. Unfortunately Apple discards the product lines when competition drives down the profit margin. However, with the great Jobs gone, there obviously will be no more break throughs. Apple will have to both accept lower margins and do a decent job of incremental improvements. Not happening so far. It would be so easy.

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Apple computers have so much competition with other builders that have been out designing machines produced by Apple with fresh components and just as good quality.

The market has moved on whitelist Apple stands still.

Apple customers have moved on with their own hacks.

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
I have encountered employees who did not know Apple built the first laser printer.

Apple did not build the first laser printer. Xerox built the first laser printer (which makes sense; a laser printer is basically a digitally-controlled photocopier.) Many other companies built laser printers before Apple did.

Apple built the first laser printer with built-in PostScript, which allowed for high-quality graphics and typefaces.

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
Apple's retail store employees might simply reflect the general low quality of retail employees. While in one of Walmart's neighborhood grocery stores recently, I asked an employee where the packaged dried prunes were located and the reply was "prunes?". After explaining they are typically near the packaged raisins, there was a glimmer of recognition for raisins but he still couldn't help me.

Last edited:

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK

When was the last time you saw Apple marketing on the Mac Mini or the Mac Pro?
Is it no wonder Apple sell less and less of these lines? (of course we don't have sales figures, but if a line sold well then Apple would keep it fresh...) If the public are not aware of these products, they will sell less.
What's really going on? Has Apple executive made a strategic decision to allow these lines to languish and wither away? If that's the case, what total arrogance on their part.
The longer Apple delay a new Mac Mini or even a reasonable priced Mac Pro, the sooner I will build a Hack.
I do not want a laptop, I do not want an iMac.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Crosscreek wrote:
"The market has moved on while Apple stands still"

That's about the sum of it, in one sentence.

Apple just doesn't seem that interested in the desktop computer market any more. Low-end, midrange, high-end -- they're just no longer into it. They're getting most of their revenue from other product lines, anyhow.

Perhaps the time has come for Apple to select 2, 3 or 4 "prepackaged" PC systems, and strike a deal to bundle in a customized version of the OS that will run on those platforms without having to "hackintosh" them.

The new Intel "Skull Canyon" NUC unit comes to mind. Perhaps Apple could even have Intel package it in a customized white case with an Apple logo instead of "the skull".

Heck, look how long the MacBook line has gone without any kind of revision.

Could we reach a point in a few years where Apple decides to "spin off" the computer OS and hardware line -- just as they once did with "Claris" years and years ago....???

Reactions: Cape Dave

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I guess that moment could come when that Watch-business is more valuable than the non-mobile computer business.
MacBooks still sell enough to warrant an occasional update. Though I really wonder if we have to wait till Q4 for updated MBPs?

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
That's probably because it isn't true.

I guess there was some really expensive printer sold by hp or someone, but the apple laser writer with the creme beige color (looked good) was the first laser printer you could look at in a store window at your local campus or computer store. Cost was $7000 and could be shared by several macs on appletalk. People drooled over it. Incidentally, apple also had the first COLOR laser printer. Those were the good old days of Apple excitement.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Crosscreek wrote:
"The market has moved on while Apple stands still"

That's about the sum of it, in one sentence.

Apple just doesn't seem that interested in the desktop computer market any more. Low-end, midrange, high-end -- they're just no longer into it. They're getting most of their revenue from other product lines, anyhow.

Perhaps the time has come for Apple to select 2, 3 or 4 "prepackaged" PC systems, and strike a deal to bundle in a customized version of the OS that will run on those platforms without having to "hackintosh" them.

The new Intel "Skull Canyon" NUC unit comes to mind. Perhaps Apple could even have Intel package it in a customized white case with an Apple logo instead of "the skull".

Heck, look how long the MacBook line has gone without any kind of revision.

I'm thinking other companies moving into the small form factor computer make Apple look lethargic. I mean, it used to be that Apple got first dibs on the new chips from Intel but now Intel is into DIY.

Could we reach a point in a few years where Apple decides to "spin off" the computer OS and hardware line -- just as they once did with "Claris" years and years ago....???

I doubt it. AAPL pulled in more revenue from Macs in the last Q. than from ipads so that suggests no. Whatever way you spin it, AAPL is firstly an iPHone company and only gets 1/10th of its revenue from hardware Mac sales. FWIW, OS X and iOS come from the same source tree so you can't split them out from one another (if that makes sense).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You asked the wrong question to the modern apple retail employee. What you should have asked is where the watch bands are ....

dizzyboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
This happened to me a couple of months ago. No kidding, he was like "Do you mean iPad mini?" and I got this WTF look on me and I said "No, a Mac, a Mac Mini, the smaller version of this (points to an iMac)". Then he went to the back of the store and came back with a brochure and said that they don't have it at the moment. This was not in the US.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I can say I've never had an employee confused on what a Mac Mini was and I've purchased about 35 of them since 2009.

AlliePallie

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
I have two Apple Stores more or less nearby (Denver area). The staff all know about the Mini --- and the MacPro --- and can talk about them intelligently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.