Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This video was produced by the staff of an Apple Retail Store as an entertaining way to teach Apple's customer service strategy. That strategy, based on one from the Ritz Carlton hotel -- widely acknowledged as the gold standard in customer service -- allows Apple Retail Store employees to assist customers without pressuring them to buy.

As Apple products generally sell themselves, the theory is that employees merely need to present the proper solutions to the customer based on their needs. Uncovering those needs is key to completing the sale and creating satisfied customers or "promoters" in Apple Store parlance.

The Apple Steps of Service, as taught during Core Training, which every new hire at Apple goes through:
A - Approach the customer with a "warm welcome"
P - Position, Permission, Probe -- Tell the customer what you want to do, ask permission, and then ask them questions to determine their needs.
P - Present the appropriate product solution that fits their needs.
L - Listen to their concerns.
E - End with a fond farewell and an invitation to return.
There are also the three A's -- three steps used with the "L" above to help alleviate customer concerns.
A - Acknowledge that their concerns are valid.
A - Align with the customer, agreeing that you would feel the same were you in their shoes.
A - Assure the customer that you will be able to solve their problem to their satisfaction.
The video, which was well-received by employees at an all-hands store meeting, was posted by former Apple employee Kyle Sisson as part of his editing portfolio. It is a brief look into the back of house, where much of the video was filmed, an unusual occurrence at the intensely private Apple Store.

Update: The video has been removed.

Article Link: Apple Store Employees Made This Music Video to Teach Customer Service Skills [Updated]

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Fun

Speaking as someone who has had to make my fair share of these...I say 'not bad...not bad at all.'

The music in it is not my thing, personally, but considering the audience it probably goes over well with the mostly-younger retail employees.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Sheesh, back in my day we just treated customers the way we would want to be treated. We didn't need a music video. Oh Apple Retail...what happened to you?

END3R

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
I'm guessing they don't have the Apple style guide, you don't even have to watch it to know what to expect. Shame.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Sheesh, back in my day we just treated customers the way we would want to be treated. We didn't need a music video. Oh Apple Retail...what happened to you?

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but this video is clearly not new.
Also, as a former Apple retail employee, videos like this (corny, make me feel uncomfortable just watching it) are not uncommon, and are kind of the main thing that I do not miss about working there. That and the forced high fives at product launches. Otherwise, was a great job.

I have a feeling this guy will be asked to take the video down soon.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
One good thing that came out of the video is we now know what the back room looks like, as it was previously unseen by all of us Apple fans.:rolleyes:

oktravis

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
wow

this is the type of corny 'project' you would expect from a best buy or the like. not apple.

really embarrassing to watch even a few seconds of that.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Um yikes

I have noticed the 3 A's employed in the Apple stores I go to.

But I have felt pressured to buy and did not at those times (in store, on the phone and especially in the online Apple store live chat sessions).

Yeah, rap isn't really my thing but at least they are trying to make it fun.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Rock on dude rock on! Could not stop watching... good job on getting all those people to work on it. :apple::cool:

BLUELION

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
come on,

This was a personal project from a former employee. Not really an official Apple project so I don't think the outcry is warranted. it was obviously created in humor to get the steps across.

However, the video clearly shows the BOH which is off limits to non-Apple folks.

Overall, it was obviously fun for them so what does it matter what anyone thinks about it. If you like it great, if don't great. makes no difference either way.

this is the type of corny 'project' you would expect from a best buy or the like. not apple.

really embarrassing to watch even a few seconds of that.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but this video is clearly not new.
Also, as a former Apple retail employee, videos like this (corny, make me feel uncomfortable just watching it) are not uncommon, and are kind of the main thing that I do not miss about working there. That and the forced high fives at product launches. Otherwise, was a great job.

I have a feeling this guy will be asked to take the video down soon.

Yes I am also glad your not there any more. Those dam forced high five. Or those forced smiles, or those forced I care, or those forced thank you... oh wait I was talking about healthcare provider which I was one for way to long.

At least for them washing your hands 200 times a day is not something they have to do, good for them.

mach1andy

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Los Angeles
Entertaining, maybe. Steve wouldn't have allowed this to get out. Anything that looks like a joke or involves culture that can be dated would be cut from existence with a hawk's eye. Tough for me to say because I'm a musician and don't think it's bad, just seemingly not Apple at it's core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.