apple store for education confuzzlement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macguy!, Jan 27, 2007.

1. macguy! macrumors newbie

hey everyone

I'm looking into purchasing a mac, hopefully from the apple education store but i'm a little confused as to whether or not i qualify. I'm 15 and go to private school in the UK. am i eligible to purchase stuff? can my parents purchase it for my use?

thanks,

macguy

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

From Apple:

Who is Eligible To Purchase?
    The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education Individuals:
    - a teacher, lecturer, tutor or other supervisor of students at a UK education establishment
    - a student aged 18 and over with a valid student card, attending, or accepted into, a UK education establishment
    - a parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into a UK Higher or Further Education establishment

A 15 year old in high school does not seem to qualify under any of the above.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Do you have any friends in college?

5. macguy! thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses

yeah a couple....

6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

have them show up with you and have them present their ID.

7. macguy! thread starter macrumors newbie

and am i safe to assume that they'll have to do the purchase and then i'd have to buy it off them

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

No not at all, just have your mom there and have her give the credit card. You get the computer, you register it, everything in your name. Just thank your friend, maybe take him out for dinner or something.

EDIT: Just have her pay for it with your friend there.

9. macguy! thread starter macrumors newbie

that helps a lot - the only small problem i have now is that i was intending to purchase online so i could upgrade the HD because as i understand it you can't get build to order macs in the stores. So if i did purchase online, and apple wanted proof that it was for a student, would it be fine just to give my friends ID?

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Others might go that far, I would not advise you to do that. Just get the smaller drive, and if and when you run outa room, buy your self a nice external drive for backups and data storage. At least for my needs.

11. macguy! thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i'll just do that. hopefully all of that stuff will be made a hell of a lot easier when leopard comes out. Thank you very much for your help, its much appreciated.

I'm gonna bed as its getting relatively late in the UK.

macguy

12. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

Thats kinda what i want to know im going to college Year 12 to study graphic design and Photography and i would like to get a macBook Pro and leeds college of art and design has a NUS account kinda thing so when i go i will be in teh NUS but ill be 16. So online the UK HE apple NUS site when i order how do they check or dont they? so if i order in the summer beforei go to college by like 3 weeks will it matter?

Thanks.

13. BigPrince macrumors 68020

No Clue, I'm US and have no clue what NUS means.

14. Jht macrumors member

Jordygreen, pretty sure you will, just go to the online store for education http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukInd , and it says your eligible to purchase if your a parent buying for your child who is attending further education, a college is classed as a further education establishement (well im 99% sure), so just put the details in etc there and buy from the store there.

15. kgarchar macrumors 6502

I'm also in High School, when I went to the Apple Store around here, they said that since I'm still in High School, just get the computer online, and use the college that I plan on attending.

16. tshakey macrumors member

I'm off to Uni in england this winter, and want to buy a macbook for using there.
    On the apple web page
    there is a choice of apple store for education, or apple store for higher education,
    are the discounts greater in the apple store for higher education, and how do i get into it?

17. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Apple Store for Higher Education on that site is also 10-15% cheaper than the normal 8% you get at the Apple Store for Education. You also get 3 year labour and parts warrantee, same as Apple Care but with only 1 year phone support.

I saved 17% on my iMac G5, a friend saved 22% on a Mac Book, plus got Logic Pro for £100, Office for £80. The discount changes from institution to institution though.

18. tshakey macrumors member

how do i find out if my institution wil give me a higher education discount?