Apple store G5 refurbs price lowered!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by waitingforG5, Dec 18, 2003.

1. waitingforG5 macrumors newbie

Hey guys the prices have been lowered on the G5 refurbs on the apple store. There now 1399 for the 1.6 and 1699 for the 1.8. On a side note do you guys think after the new G5's are released that these prices will go much lower or is now a good time to buy?

2. armchainmstenw macrumors member

You should buy later. One month shouldn't make much of a difference. Maybe the dual processor G5 computers will reach those prices. In reality though, there is no good time to buy a new computer, because there are always performance increases immediately afterward.

3. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

very good point

i'd hate to "have to" buy a top end model computer just for the frustration it would cause a few months down the road. like virginia tech... what if faster g5's come out in jan. and they find out they could have had THE fastest computer cluster in the world instead of just one of the fastest (i think 3rd was the final number)

anyway...

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

re: the Va. Tech thing: it'll be great for other institutions (maybe UVA or Wake?) to play oneupsmanship to the present G5 supercluster.

I sold my eMac and iBook on eBay, and I can now afford the low-end G5 at that refurb price. I suppose it won't kill me to wait another three weeks (MWSF) but it's risky because the stock of 1.6s may dry up and no G5s may be available at $1399 any more.

I "graduated" from low-end G3 (first Mac, bought in January, 700 CD iBook) to low-end G4 (bought in the summer, 700 cdrw eMac, modded w/Pioneer 105 DVDR) -- I'll be happy to move up to the low-end G5. :) and when business picks up I can later justify a dual.

5. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

The rule to follow is always if you can wait, wait. There will alwys be better things and RARELY has apple increased it's overall pricing so you losr a price bracket. (That's not necessarily true when talking about refurbs of course.) You could always track down older models through retailers who haven't sold them out or ebay where people are desperately trying to get the newest .0005 Ghz.

Of course, I only really responded to pipe in about UVa building a better supercomputer than VATech. Do the Cavaliers really need to beat the Hokies (a castrated turkey) in engineering now too!?

Hehe, Wahoowah