Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
I can't imagine my 2.6 generates much more heat than a 2.3, if any at all, because even if it did at the top end of its power draws it'd finish the job quicker...so it should be cooler running in the long run (on average).

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
I can't imagine my 2.6 generates much more heat than a 2.3, if any at all, because even if it did at the top end of its power draws it'd finish the job quicker...so it should be cooler running in the long run (on average).

Exactly!

With this particular platform (the 2012 mini) and a heavy multi-core workload the quicker CPU should get the job done in a bit less time.

It seems odd that we tend to fixate on fan noise from minis equipped with these i7 processors. After all, they only make noise when they are performing tasks that lesser chips cannot accomplish (in the same time)! This seems like complaining about the poor gas mileage of a loaded F350 Ford work truck compared to an otherwise similar F150 that is used for a freeway commute to and from work.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
At this point, be thankful if you can find a 2.3 let alone a 2.6, because at least in the states, except for the brand new server model at B&H, the 2012 refurbs have dried up.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
At this point, be thankful if you can find a 2.3 let alone a 2.6, because at least in the states, except for the brand new server model at B&H, the 2012 refurbs have dried up.

Yes but the server is the one to get anyway since it already has all the OEM hardware needed to run two drives. And, adding an SSD to the lower bay is a snap.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Yes but the server is the one to get anyway since it already has all the OEM hardware needed to run two drives. And, adding an SSD to the lower bay is a snap.

True, but you're paying almost a $100 premium over the certified refurb of the same model to get that. If you can get it direct from Apple cheaper, then do that. And for the single-drive model, the iFixIt kit is only $30.00:

"All Mac Minis support two hard drives — don't pay the Apple premium for an expensive Mac Mini server when you can use our kit to make one yourself and save money."

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Mac-Mini-Dual-Drive-Kit/IF171-005

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
No one has produced any proof that the i7 "2.6 runs a lot hotter than the 2.3"! Thepixelpusher is correct, some have mentioned this idea but there is no evidence for the claim. The two chips are almost identical. Shouldn't we expect the faster version should make a bit more heat when it does a bit more work than the 2.3?
-- No, the 2.6 does more work in less time and should run cooler compared to the 2.3.

Last edited:

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
I'd guess they both do a fine job. I think the most important thing is getting a SSD "Fusion" version and adding more memory. That gives you the most bang for the buck and would speed things up on both the 2.3 and 2.6

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Don't forget, there are still brand new 2012 Mini servers at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897214-REG/Apple_md389ll_a_Mac_mini_Desktop_Computer.html

It's more expensive than the refurb, but $50 cheaper than before it was discontinued. Replace one of the drives with a small and cheap 256GB SSD and make your own fusion drive, then bump the RAM to 16GB, and you're good. Heck, if you want to be cheap, you could use a 128GB SSD and only bump the RAM to 8GB, making it pretty equivalent to the Apple BTO fusion config.

And it comes with a free copy of Parallels, not just Parallels Access, but the actual VM software (you won't see the option until you go to checkout). That's worth at least another $50.

Last edited:

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011

That is a refurb that is no longer available. The point of the current discussion is that the 2012 refurbs have dried up, and there most likely won't be any more coming from Apple. Please go back and catch up with the flow of the conversation in this thread. That is why I am mentioning the server model at B&H.

One more time, the 2012 refurbs are GONE. They won't be coming back. Read the thread to see how their availability has dwindled to zero. If they do come back, then it will be sporadically and only a few will be lucky to get one. It's time to face reality.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
This one chart (below) clearly shows the reason the 2012 Mac Mini's are so popular. In cases where people use a program that uses multiple processors the 2012 machines kick the butt of the new 2014 machines. I understand Apple isn't concerned about the entry level machines and high performance, so it's best to get a 2012 Mac Mini i7 quad core machine while you can. It's the last of the higher performance entry level models, at least for now.

macmini-october-2014-multicore.png

One more time, the 2012 refurbs are GONE. They won't be coming back. Read the thread to see how their availability has dwindled to zero. If they do come back, then it will be sporadically and only a few will be lucky to get one. It's time to face reality.

There are still many refurbs on eBay that are only going for just a bit more than the Apple new price. There's a sealed Apple stock Fusion drive one up there now that is going for a reasonable price. And because it's stock the warranty is guaranteed. I noticed many eBay sellers opening up and starting the Mini's and installing aftermarket parts and still selling it as new. That's debatable. Because these upgrades are NOT done by certified Apple Technicians they could be setting buyers up for a disappointment if their parts cause issues for the Mini. Apple certified technicians can display an Apple certified logo. None to be found by these sellers. Go ahead and ask if they are certified, most are not. If I would have any upgrade work done it would be by Otherworld Computing because they are certified.

Last edited:

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
True, but you're paying almost a $100 premium over the certified refurb of the same model to get that. If you can get it direct from Apple cheaper, then do that. And for the single-drive model, the iFixIt kit is only $30.00:

"All Mac Minis support two hard drives — don't pay the Apple premium for an expensive Mac Mini server when you can use our kit to make one yourself and save money."

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Mac-Mini-Dual-Drive-Kit/IF171-005

Yes, however it is a lot easier to install an SSD in the lower bay than to move the lower bay HDD to the upper bay and then install an SSD in the lower bay.

There is also the possibility that in the event of a mainboard or power supply failure one might have a lot less trouble convincing Apple that the repairs are an Apple defect rather than being caused by the user disassembling the mini entirely. Just a thought.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
There are still many refurbs on eBay that are only going for just a bit more than the Apple new price. There's a sealed Apple stock Fusion drive one up there now that is going for a reasonable price. And because it's stock the warranty is guaranteed.

First, most of what is now for sale on eBay and Craigslist is overpriced in relation to it's condition. I saw no deals the last time I looked, but I'll check again.

Second, you can get something that is literally brand new from B&H, so unless you can point me to something that beats the $899 (the price was $849 until a day or two ago, but it just went up) price for the 2012 dual-drive quad server model, there's no point.

Third, my refurb 2.6GHz 1TB Fusion Mini with 8GB RAM cost $929+tax direct from Apple. If I bought the $899 2.3GHz server model from B&H and bumped the RAM to 8GB and swapped in a 128GB SSD, the cost would be comparable, since B&H only charges tax in NY. The only difference would be the 0.3GHz.

Fourth, you have no idea what the heck you might get via eBay or Craigslist. Unless it's literally sealed, I will take the brand new machine from a legit retailer or a certified refurb direct from Apple, over something from anywhere else.

----------

I'm willing to trade 2 minis for one

2012 & 2010 base Mac minis for a 2012 i7

Please don't insult us.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
My soon to be son in law isn't using his 2012 mini much according to my daughter. I think I'll try to buy it from him.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
First, most of what is now for sale on eBay and Craigslist is overpriced in relation to it's condition. I saw no deals the last time I looked, but I'll check again.

Second, you can get something that is literally brand new from B&H, so unless you can point me to something that beats the $899 (the price was $849 until a day or two ago, but it just went up) price for the 2012 dual-drive quad server model, there's no point.

Third, my refurb 2.6GHz 1TB Fusion Mini with 8GB RAM cost $929+tax direct from Apple. If I bought the $899 2.3GHz server model from B&H and bumped the RAM to 8GB and swapped in a 128GB SSD, the cost would be comparable, since B&H only charges tax in NY. The only difference would be the 0.3GHz.

Fourth, you have no idea what the heck you might get via eBay or Craigslist. Unless it's literally sealed, I will take the brand new machine from a legit retailer or a certified refurb direct from Apple, over something from anywhere else.

Yes, Apple and dealers first. B&H is great, but they didn't have the machines I wanted. I've gotten plenty of deals on eBay buying sealed refurbs for less than $100 over what Apple charges. Just watch for the sales ending midweek at late night. Also look at their rating and how long they've been on eBay and the amount of their sales.

I wouldn't touch Craigslist for electronics.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Solid Reasoning

-- No, the 2.6 does more work in less time and should run cooler compared to the 2.3.

I think I see your point. If a processor finishes the heat generating task first, then it will be cooler sooner. The 2.6 was the fastest 2012 CPU. Therefore, the 2.6 i7 should spend more time running cool (idling) than the slower 2.3 and perhaps even the i5 options.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I think I see your point. If a processor finishes the heat generating task first, then it will be cooler sooner. The 2.6 was the fastest 2012 CPU. Therefore, the 2.6 i7 should spend more time running cool (idling) than the slower 2.3 and perhaps even the i5 options.

I don't buy it. The difference in task completion time would be seconds or fraction of a second between 2.3i7 and 2.6i7. However, heat transfer from CPU to heatsink to air to out of the computer takes many minutes. In the end, any seconds of millisecond time gains are made irrelevant by the time it takes to cool down.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
I don't buy it. The difference in task completion time would be seconds or fraction of a second between 2.3i7 and 2.6i7. However, heat transfer from CPU to heatsink to air to out of the computer takes many minutes. In the end, any seconds of millisecond time gains are made irrelevant by the time it takes to cool down.

That difference is an issue that forum users could test and debate. I tend to agree that it won't be very large.

Do you think that there is any substance behind those claims that the 2.6 i7 "runs too hot" compared to the 2.3 i7? Again the real question is one of magnitude between those two similar chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.