Apple Store in Japan, or other country?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by iAlan, Jan 1, 2003.

1. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Apple currently have several 'Store-in-Store' set up in Tokyo. With the current proliferation of print and TV advertising (Switch campaign) what are the chances of an Apple Store being opened in Tokyo? I have heard that Japan is the 2nd largest market for Apple. And if not in Japan, how about elsewhere?

Apple stores are by far the best and easiest way for Apple to expand both awareness and sale of Apple products (hands on experience for users, expert staff, complete product /software demonstration/intergration, etc). The USA stores have been a sucess, it is time to move the concept forward...and outward...

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The Mac stores here in Tokyo are the best by fat, better than most Apple stores. Have you gone to the ones in Akihabara, such as Laos? It's amazing how good they can get. I'm thinking Apple is not making Apple stores here because they don't need to... others are already doing their job.

irmongoose

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Apple's opening a store in Paris next week...

... that's a positive step. If you have good store-in-stores, I don't think Apple will mess with that. I've seen what passed for store-in-stores here in US, and they were not too appealing: old products, poor selection, disorganized.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I agree. The store-in-store setup in Laos was far better than the Apple store here in Florida (either Tampa or Orlando). There's no reason for Apple to spend money on opening an Apple store there when they can make a whole lot more sales through all the Mac stores there.

JW

5. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

I don't disagree...but what about the rest of the 'store-in0stor' outlets?
    I have also heard Apple is paying the staff and is also providing 'consultants' - people from Aplle Japan who spend a couple of days a month in some of the stores offring support. Sure, this help sell more Macs but I just don't see the logic of Apple spending this money or should I say, paying a retailer.

The general person on the street, the PC user who the Switch adds are targeted at, don't know about the store-in-store set-ups. Even Sony has a bigger area for their (over modelled) line of Vaio.

Go to Sakuraya (which has several 'store-in-store', but quite small) and ask one of the salesman about the Apple line and see what they say (not the black shirted Apple 'consultant' that may be visiting). I did, and got 'you should get a PC, a Vaio, they have developed a very god digital-hub strategy with Net MD'...

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Ahh, now that is true. The employees are way too PC biased. They have to get employees who really know what is good about Macs in the Mac sections. From that perspective, an Apple store may not be bad....

irmongoose

7. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I went to the Apple store SoHo in NYC and I was very disappointed. That was the very first official Apple store I've been to. After that visit I'm not sure how effective Apple stores are. I felt that it was just a cold showroom environment. Well, maybe SoHo one is acting too cool.

They maybe good for people who knows next to nothing about Macs, but for us Mac users Apple stores are nothing significant.

The store-in-stores in Japan are not much better than Apple stores in the US. I prefer independent dealers and mail order shops.