Apple Store in Mission Viejo, CA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sayhey, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Apple's listing of their job opportunites page at their website has openings for an Apple Store Manager and Asst. Store Manager for a Mission Viejo store. This is the first I've seen mention of this site as a location for a store.

Check out the information by doing a search at:

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

dangit ANOTHER california store? what is that now? no. 30?

3. gello2424 macrumors member

That would be great!!! I am only about 20 min away from there. (Which in cali means 5 miles)
    That is strange though that means there are 3 of them within 30 minutes of each other and that also does not count all the Compusa and Best Buy stores thre is another 6 there.

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Fourteen open now. This new store makes four more that are planned to open soon. Sooo, only 12 more to go to fulfill your wish, tazo! :p ;)

5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

6. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Actually, I agree as well. It's just that tazo always exaggerates the number of California stores - so I like to give him a hard time. ;) What we need is a few stores in Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Virginia Beach, San Antonio, Jacksonville, etc.

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

lol it wont be funny when there really are 30, and 2 in Washington! :rolleyes: ;) :D

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Now, tazo, it won't be funny in Seattle, but down here it will be hilarious. :D

Seriously, any word on an opening date for the second Seattle area store? If we're ever going to take your home back from the evil empire in Redmond we will need a larger beachead on Puget Sound! ;)

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

LOL i want an apple store across the street from the campus, or one of the campuses :D

I think the 2nd apple store is set to open like by the end of this year, like December '03, not sure.

:)

10. dstorey macrumors 6502a

I'm still really suprised there is no store in Austin TX. Hasn't Apple (Computer not Corp haha) got offices there, and it's suppose to be an amazing city with a first class music scene...exactly a target market for Apple if I ever saw one. I think they have a lot of technology companies there too. Speaking of Jacksonville FLA, isn't that like a huge city? You would think that would have one by now...though maybe i'm biased cause my really sweet friend lives there, well before she moved to uni anyway. Seriously though, all these stores in Cali, you would think Apple is already well known there and easy to buy. Some of them resources could be pumped into the likes of London, HK, Singapour, Paris etc.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We have 3 Apple Stores here in the Boston area. Just checked and no job openings available!

12. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm suprised about Austin's lack of a store as well. It would seem to be a natural for an Apple store with the type of demographic make-up that would ensure success. Jacksonville is indeed a large city, but it has a relatively modest population in the metropolitan area. The largest US metro area (not counting Puerto Rico) without a store or a planned store (that I know of) is Pittsburgh. Austin would be seventh on that list. NYC and LA populations are so huge that we could well see many more stores placed in their metro areas before some of the other areas where people are clamoring for stores are served.

I'm betting we hear something about a planned European opening of a store in the next week. Paris seems the most likely choice, given Apple's emphasis on the French market.

13. dstorey macrumors 6502a

So what is the list of twn, it would be interesting reading. I guess things like the size of the creative market and wealth of an area also have to be taken into account as well though. I have a friend thats been to pittsburg when he was a soccer coach in the states and he said it's an amazing city, like a smaller version of NYC. Detroit seems big at the moment with bands, there doesnt seem to be any stores directly in Detroit, but I dunno how far the two stores in Michigan are from Detroit, probably not far.

Yeah I'd be very suprised if Paris isn't the first announced Euro store, along with posiibly london, or not far behind. Milan or Rome would probably be good choices soon after along with Madrid or Barcelona and Berlin. It would be nice to see a Apple store in all the major Euro capitals and a major push to start over this side of the point. I really think that Mac's could be very popular with the style concious over here, especially if the stores are placed on the major fashion streets, and advertised in the right places s=uch as style, fashion and home magazines, not just Mac and computer press. iPod has become a bit of a fashion accessory over here after the Beckhams were seen with them, so Mac;s could become the latest must have's...Or maybe i'm just dreaming about Apple taking over the world haha.

14. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

dstorey,

The list of stores that Apple has planned*, but has not yet opened is the following, with the shopping center or mall in italics:

1 - San Francisco, California - Union Square a flagship store
    2 - Toyko, Japan - Ginza shopping district first non-US store and a flagship store
    3 - Seattle, Washington - University Village
    4 - Tucson, Arizona - La Encantada (probably opening 11/03)
    5 - Lyndhurst, Ohio - Legacy Village (opening 10/03) a suburb of Cleveland
    6 - Alpharetta, Georgia - a suburb of Atlanta
    7 - Aventura, Florida - a suburb of Miami
    8 - Tigard, Oregon - Washington Square, a suburb of Portland
    9 - Skokie, Illinois - Old Orchard a suburb of Chicago
    10 - Corte Madera, California - a suburb of San Francisco
    11 - Marlton, New Jersey - Sagemore, a suburb of Philadelphia
    12 - Charlotte, North Carolina - South Park Mall
    13 - San Diego, California - University Town Center
    14 - Spanish Fort, Alabama - a suburb of Mobile
    15 - Mission Viejo, California - a suburb of Los Angeles

The list of the top ten US metro areas without a store is the following:

1 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    2 - Kansas City, Missouri
    3 - San Antonio, Texas
    4 - Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Virginia
    5 - New Orleans, Louisiana
    6 - Salt Lake City, Utah
    7 - Greensboro/Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    8 - Austin, Texas (sorry, I think I said 7th largest)
    9 - Nashville, Tennessee
    10 - Providence, Rhode Island

I would expect some of these to have a store in the year following May 2004. I would also expect the first European store to be opened in that May 2004 to May 2005 period. There are 11 stores that have been opened or are planned for metro areas that are smaller than the ten listed above. I'm sure the other factors you spoke of as well as contracts with corporate owners of multiple malls explain Apple's strategy for openings in smaller markets.

*these are from either Apple's own announcements, Apple's job listings, or the announcement of a shopping center of the opening of an Apple store. The Spanish Fort store is the only one I haven't seen the evidence for, but Think Secret lists it as opening in Fall 2004. Apple has announce that there will be 70 stores by Thanksgiving 2003 and 77 by May 2004, the third anniversery of the first store.

15. dstorey macrumors 6502a

With a music push, Nashville would be a quite cool place, we all know how famous that place is for music making, though maybe that was more in a by gone era. I'm suprised to find out San Antonio is bigger than Austin. Over here the three famous places in TX are Dallas, Austin and Houston (that one probs only for the space centre). Of the rest New Orleans is pretty famous here, and a big Jazz palce i guess, and Kanas city (i've only heard that though american football). It would be good to see a few of them have stores soon. Oh Salt Lake city is pretty famous for the religion...well they say apple is like a religion so maybe it will fit well haha...

16. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I agree that Nashville seems an ideal place for a store. Apple tried to open a store there in the first year of the new retail strategy, but because of zoning problems couldn't get a store opened. I don't know if they will try and go back there now that it seems everybody and their brother wants a store in their city. Of course, all of those problems were before Al Gore joined the Apple board. He just might be able to help get that store opened in Nashville.

17. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

wdlove, just checked and there is now an opening for Asst. Manager at the Cambridge Store.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The signs just went up this week where the Apple Store will be in the University Town Center mall in San Diego, California. It's only a couple of miles from the University of California at San Diego (UCSD) campus.

19. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Any sign as to when it will open?

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Early October, according to an official at the mall.

21. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Very cool! Thanks, Doctor Q.