Apple Store in Switzerland!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Switzermac, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Switzermac macrumors regular

Apple Computer plans to open its first Switzerland-based brick and mortar retail store, an overseas Apple official has confirmed.

Advertisement

In an interview with FACTS magazine, Apple Switzerland board member and now interim CEO of the nation's Apple Retail division, Walter Müllhaupt, said the Mac maker in the near future will open a flagship retail store in Zurich.

Müllhaupt declined to provide specific details, such as an exact location or time for the store opening. However, the report implies that Apple Americas is overseeing the operation from its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

The store is not likely to open until next year, the report adds.

Switzerland, which is home to around 100 Apple authorized resellers, would be the fourth country outside the US to gain an Apple retail presence. Apple currently operates international retails stores in the UK, Japan, and Canada.

During Apple's previous fiscal quarter, its retail stores generated a $29m profit on sales of $555m, drawing more than 12 million shoppers over the three-month period.

Sometime in the next two years Apple is also expected to expand its retail initiative to Germany, France, and Australia.

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

don't the europeans have the FNAC stores? they sell apple products if im not mistaken...

3. Switzermac thread starter macrumors regular

FNAC is terrible their mac sections are always in some hidden corner.

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

ahh i see, how would one pronounce FNAC? just wonderin... don't they have that cafe in the middle of the stores too? kinda random.. that sort of thing wouldn't fly here in the states... or would it... :rolleyes:

5. Switzermac thread starter macrumors regular

Say it as it is read it has a good selection of music etc though

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

My question is why would Apple go to such a small market? Last I checked Switzerland had 7 million people in it. Wouldn't going to a larger market, like Germany or Australia, before Switzerland be a better move?

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Zürich is a major, highly visible international commerce center. Apple probably aren't expecting most customers to be local residents.

8. Switzermac thread starter macrumors regular

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

What does that matter?
    In retrospect you make a very good point. Put an Apple Store in a high visibilty area that will attract attention from people with a large amount of disposable income. Makes sense...

10. Switzermac thread starter macrumors regular

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

just gotta say lol to that one :p

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I thought Switzerland's Unis had a very high percentage of students using Macs?

Switzerland is a perfect choice. Italy, France, Austria and Germany are all very close and Switzerland has the lowest VAT rates in Europe. I'm sure there will be lots of Germans, Italians, French and Austrians who will take advantage of this store.

13. osxcode.com macrumors newbie

There are a lot of Mac users over here, trust me. ;)

For example we already have 40 dashboard widgets made just for us: http://www.osxcode.com/?p=14

Fredi