Apple Store in Tokyo

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by riwanami, Nov 29, 2003.

1. riwanami macrumors member

I just went to the Ginza district in Tokyo to see the new Apple Store which is set to open this morning. They have an awesome black building with a huge white Apple logo. From the outside, it looks better than the Sony building a few blocks away. I'm not sure if only the first floor is going to be used or if the store has multiple floors, but I bet it's going to be a great showroom to promote Macs in Japan.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I thought that the store was using three floors.

Have you seen the photos on the Apple website?

In any case, the store should be open by now. :)

3. riwanami thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I just saw the photo, and it's 3 floors. From the outside, you can really only see the first floor because the second and third floors are blacked out... It must be a pretty big Apple store compared to the one I saw in Denver, Colorado.

4. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

3 floors are the store and other 2 floors are for classes and such.

5. dave1234 macrumors regular

Classes and such?

Does the apple store in Japan offer classes on how to use your mac?

If so, do any apple stores offer classes?

As my profile says, I live in Minnesota, and about 5 minutes away from the Mall of America, and they just remodeled their store (great new layout ;) ) . But if they did that would be great?

Do they cover just things like iLife, or do they cover things like Photoshop and Flash MX?

6. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Got my free t-shirt!!

Here are some picx from the Apple Store in Ginza, sorry about quality, they were taken by my fiancé on her mobile phone.

She got me a free t-shirt!!!

Attached Files:

7. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

And another

Attached Files:

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

My T-shirt!!

Attached Files:

9. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

The apple stores in Adelaide, rarely have more than 5 computers on the floor at anyone time. Why must everything in Japan be grander and more appealing to the public

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Because the customer is king in this country, my friend. Have you been here before? If you have, you'd know.

12. legion macrumors 6502a

Because the population of Japan has a much larger disposible income compared to most countries. Those funds usually end up being spent on electronic and luxury items because items like land and cars carry a much higher cost of ownership in Japan; a byproduct of this is that retailers market specifically to the Japanese customer.

As for the lack of display Macs in Apple stores in AUS, those aren't Apple owned retail stores but only resellers. The Apple stores in the US have a lot of Macs on display for use (even tiny ones like the Santa Monica store)

13. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I've been to China and Malaysia, where 70% disount off marked price is not enough, but not to Japan, sorry.

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Really? I could go for 70% of a 17" PB :)

I don't think I'll ever buy electronics in the US again, the peace of mind I've gotten through warantees and insurance over here is something I don't think can be matched overseas.

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Oooo.. im gonna get me one of those. :D

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Isn't it still the case in Japan that savings in banks are taxed and therefore, it's cheaper to continue to spend money, rather than to save?

17. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

As far as I know it still is. I read on the internet somwhere that the Japanese squirrel away all their money. Lemme find that link ....

It's funny, when bonus times comes around (in Summer and Winter) all the banks and stores go nuts :) I saw a bank with a sign that said "Put(deposit) your bonus here!!" and then stores down the road with bonus-season discounts/sales, etc. (i.e. Spend your bonus here.) :D

edit: OK, found the link. It's actually a few FAQs put together for people who are thinking of living in Japan. Japan FAQ Rather negative in a lot of places, but some good info on the economy, etc. It's up-to-date, I think.

18. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thanks for that link. It's almost humourous at times.

I remember many people I knew were going on big trips, especially as the exchange rate favoured Japanese, simply because it cost too much to keep the money. Besides, who can find a parking place in order to buy a car? :D

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

No kidding. My wife and I stopped at a gas station once, and saw a car for sale there for only $6000. I though it was a pretty good deal, and asked them why it was so cheap. They said it hadn't had it's 'shaken' (car inspection) done. With that, and insurance, the total price was more like $15000 :rolleyes: Some parking spaces in Shinagawa (in Tokyo) can cost$3000 a month. :eek:

You might not want to read the link "Japanese Culture: A Primer For Newcomers" - it's too negative for 1st timers. The Know Before You Go is good though- that's where they talk about poor interest rates from banks.

Ginza Apple Store T-shirts are on Japanese auctions already :D

I can't wait to go to Tokyo again, but wife isn't interested in forking out for the shinkansen tickets ...

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Aren't all the cars in shinagawa? :D Almost all the movies and magazine reviews have 品川 on the plates. It's especially bad when the movie takes place in Kansai.

Shinkansen is so expensive, just like airplane fare. I bet that you could buy an iPod for the price of a ticket from Kansai to Tokyo.

It's just so great that there's an Apple store now to soak up some of that bonus money. Of course, Apple will never put out one of those signs, but then, they're on Ginza and wouldn't be able to do that anyway. Imagine Louis Vuitton or Chanel with a cheap, colourful sign. :D

22. riwanami thread starter macrumors member

If you and your wife aren't Japanese citizens, just buy the Japan Rail Pass, and you'll be able to "all you can ride" on most Shinkansens. Then use the money you saved to buy an IPod.

23. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

We use the cheapest shinkansen service, the "Plat Kodama" which makes all the stops on the way back, but only costs ¥7000 from Tokyo :)

24. riwanami thread starter macrumors member

With the Japan Rail Pass, http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en02.html , you can ride on all Shinkansen trains (except for the Nozomi), Narita Express and virtually every JR train in Japan, and most major highway buses, plus some ferries, for 28,300yen for a week. Remember, you spend 6000yen for a round trip between Narita Airport and Tokyo station. I know its getting off topic, so I'll end it here, but I'd really recommend you buy it before you come to Japan next time!