Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Hi, not sure if this has been leaked yet, but does anyone know the secret gesture combination that will allow you to get to the home screen on the display iPads at the Apple Retail Stores? If not, does anyone have a good idea of where to start?

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Are you sure? There have been quite a few different websites that I found in Google claiming that there is. How do store employees shut down the iPads then? And when they start up, they do go to a regular iPad home screen, so there must be a way to quit the web app since the home button is disabled. If it's not a gesture, how would they do it? Thanks, I just find this very interesting.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Are you sure? There have been quite a few different websites that I found in Google claiming that there is. How do store employees shut down the iPads then? And when they start up, they do go to a regular iPad home screen, so there must be a way to quit the web app since the home button is disabled. If it's not a gesture, how would they do it? Thanks, I just find this very interesting.

Those iPads do not have batteries in them. When they turn off the power the iPads also turn off.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
In Norway, the Apple Demo products are retail hardware with demo software. So if you press the home button you get to homescreen but if you wait for the lock it shows the demo movie instead of locking the screen. Can be fix'ed flashing in DFU modus i think (I might try it my self lol)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
So my question is...

Why???

What good purpose is there for knowing the answer to the question (if one even exists)? I'm genuinely curious.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Hi, not sure if this has been leaked yet, but does anyone know the secret gesture combination that will allow you to get to the home screen on the display iPads at the Apple Retail Stores? If not, does anyone have a good idea of where to start?

Not sure if you're still interested, but for future reference, a long tap at the top left of the screen should do the trick.

----------

So my question is...

Why???

What good purpose is there for knowing the answer to the question (if one even exists)? I'm genuinely curious.

For fun.

... this thread died ages ago - how did I even get here??! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.