Apple store online or local Apple store?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Darby, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Darby macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2003
    Orange County, CA

Which place should I purchase my computer? A local Apple Store or

I called up Apple and a sales rep gave me a 'special' number and extension to call back when I am ready to purchase. This made me a bit leary.

Is it better to purchase online and have it delivered? Or to purchase at a local Apple Store (btw is there a commission)?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Re: Apple store online or local Apple store?

It all depends on how far you live from the Apple store.

I don't know if there is a comission, however, the phone sales people at the very least probably get rated by how many machines they sell. So if you do order by phone, call back the person who helped you before. This way they get the credit.

I know at the camera store I go to, there are no comissions, but they do keep track of how well each sales person does. And going back to the same person means they know you've bought stuff there before. And I've been going to the same camera store long enough, the salesperson I use remembers my name.
  3. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    Whatever happened to actually walking into the store... PHYSICALLY, and making your purchase?
  4. bombensington macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2002
  5. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2002
    Notre Dame
    i remember when i bought my computer at the apple store in roosevelt field, NY, i asked the guy, and he said that they do not make a commision, but they have to fill a quota. i would say that if you're close enough to a store, go buy it there, its fun buying it, taking it home, then setting t up that day. i know if i bought it online, there's no way i'd be able to stand the anticipation in waiting for my computer to arrive. :)
  6. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    CompUSA ASC

Go to a local CompUSA Apple Solutions Consultant. They are actual Apple employees who are specifically trained to have incredible knowledge and impeccable customer service. Honestly, you can easily get a better retail experience from an ASC at a CompUSA as long as you make sure that you don't deal with the CompUSA staff.

ASC are on commission, so they would very much appreciate your business, while Apple Store employees are not. Please go see an ASC. You really won't regret it.

Trust me.
  7. Darby thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2003
    Orange County, CA

Thank-you for the information. I bet the people at the local Apple store near me are getting to know me. Lol. I ask a lot of dumb questions. :)

Be kind or rewind. I said "a local Apple Store." :)

Thank-you for your reply.

I agree :), I don't know if I'd be able to wait either. Plus, all the goodies in the's so tempting to spend a lot of money. Thank-you for the reply.

I like CompUsa too. I'll look into it. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again,
  8. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    me, i would buy it online.

if you want a bigger hard drive, they have to order it. it is not something they do at the apple store themselves (as of November, for the iBook).

buy it online, and have it shipped to your job. great way to incite talk in the office. especially if you plug it into the network and "it just works."

plus, if you are a guy, the ladies will come and check it out, since they are usually cute (the computer, not the ladies).
  9. sandro macrumors member

Nov 8, 2002
    San Francisco
    Re: Apple store online or local Apple store?

Well if you are looking at your money closely, walk into an Apple store and get it, you will only pay tax and you get to bring it home that same day, otherwise you can go online order it pay TAX and pay SHIPPING on top of that, and will probably take a while for you to get to play with your new toy(s) :)