Apple Store or - Tax, accsesories, etc.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by donaldGuy, May 27, 2006.

1. donaldGuy macrumors newbie

May 25, 2006
    As I said in an earlier thread I am planning to buy a Black MacBook very soon (possibly today if I get a definative awnser)

I was planning to get it from the Apple Store (on with educational discount)

Yesterday, however, while surfing this site I came across this:

Once I entered my zip to get the "BottomLine" price I noticed one big thing, while tax from the apple store was a little more than $70, PC Connection said No Tax. Is this true? Some reviews say there is no tax, but there were also others complaining about there being tax.

I really don't know what to do.. here is a summary of the arguments for either side (+ = positive point, - = negative point)

Apple Store
    + Its the Apple Store
    + I know I will be able to get a MiniDVI->DVI adapter
    + I get educational doscount instantly
    - I know there is tax / MacConnection
    + PriceGrabber claims there is no tax
    + I can still get the same $100 discount (though its not an educational discount it just is there)
    + I can get a free laptop case (after mail-in rebate) (
    - the discount is a mail-in rebate (as is that for the case)
    - I have yet to find a video adapter
    - its not the apple store

Both: Same Product, Free Shipping

What should I do?

Thank you for your time,
    ~Donald Guy
  2. donaldGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

May 25, 2006

sorry for the double post

hmm.. its less of a tough decision now:
    Also I found the Adapter on but Its $2 more and on 2+ week back-order

So now the real question is .. is getting a free laptop case worth dealing with $165 in rebates?
  3. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    you are only slammed with tax only if the seller resides in that same state as you are in. For example, there must be a brick and mortar store in your state, thus you are taxed. MacConnection probably does not, which is why you arent taxed.
  4. donaldGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

May 25, 2006
    wait, so in the paragraph I posted above.. does sales tax in VA only apply to government or educational institutions, not to individuals?

What in tax law would make this so?

I'm still confused about what I should do.
  5. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    if pcconnection has a physical store located in the same state as you do, they will charge you tax. If they do NOT have a physical store there, or operate in the same state, then they won't charge you tax.

I would go with pcconnection myself. It's the same machine that you would buy at the or the Apple store itself.
  6. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Why don't you try some other retailers like Amazon? They usually throw in a rebate too.
  7. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006

I brought one yesterday on MacConnection aka PcConnection. They shipped it out yesterday will have it on Thursday. At first i was happy then angry when i notice they shipped printer and case but not the laptop. Then this morning i got the email and everything was shipped.

Only problem they are on order now, might take awhile to get. Keep checking the site or call them and ask them to call you as soon as they get them in.

No TAX is nice plus the rebate you cant go wrong. I am hoping i get the Rebates for the case and printer since i do not really need either. Didnt charge me tax and i am in NY. Total was 1652.88 for macbook, Case and printer after all the rebates it will be 1394

I brought the black one. Yesterday they had the white Combo or black in stock. They soldout by around 8pm.

good luck but i say stay with MacConnection and use the link above under shop:
  8. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    I am in ny and i wasnt charged tax. Isnt PcConnection same as MacConnection?

Total was 1652.88 for Black MacBook, Case and HP printer after 3 rebates it will be $1394.