Apple store - payment

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by netytan, Jun 6, 2004.

1. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Ok, i tried to order my Ibook a little earlier this evening only to discover that the apple store (apple.com.au) wont accept my bank card; even though when reciving this card when setting up my Bank account i was assured that the card could be used for online transactions - which was what i wanted it for!

So now i have to wait untill tomorrow before i can try and call the apple phoneline :mad:... just so i can give them my money.

What conserns me is this, if they can't take my bank card details over the net (which is infinatly safer than me resiting them aloud), how are they going to handle it over the phone. Has anyone had any experiance with this or is it just me?

Mark.

2. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Is your shipping address the same as the billing address? The would only accept my order once I sorted that out

3. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Yeah, the billing address - which i assumed is the place i want the bill to go to (sorry i'm new to this) - is the same as the place i want the Ibook to go too, was this tight? My card is a Maestro (made my mastercard i believe) so it should work :(. Maybe i just gave it the wrong details?

Mark.

4. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I think i had trouble using a debit card, and therefore used Visa.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I had a similar problem ordering a digital camera through the Apple online store using a bank card. The problem was that banks set a daily spending limit on their cards. My limit was $400 and the camera I was trying to purchase from the Apple Store was $410. The Apple store could not process the order. I called Apple, and they told me to phone my bank and tell them that I was going to be making a purchase that exceeded my daily spending limit and that they should let the transaction take place. Everything worked after I did that.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

They do this for security. Basically if someone charges an ibook you never ordered to a regular credit card you are usually able to get your money back (actually you never pay for it and contest it with the credit card compnay who investigates it. ) However, with a bank card the cash is taken out of your checking/savings account immediately and it is much harder to contest, etc. That is why they are so dangerous...having a Visa or MC debit card helps I think but I don't know how it works with contesting charges.

If you have the cash in your bank I suggest getting a credit card in your name and get some rewards of some kind by charging the computer. I have a Sony card that I get free sony stuff with every purchase...you get points and buy music, games, hardware, electronics, etc. when you sign up (bank one) you get lots of extra points. Basically you could get a free CD player, DVD player or DVd's or games if you did this. There are lots of other reward cards out there...they are free and if you pay off at the first statement you pay nothing extra to charge it. then if you want to cut up the card and cancel it you can.

johnny

7. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Ah well not a huge deal, whatever it is i cant do anything about it untill tomorrow now. The problem being that i'm in Australia, not the UK where my bank is. But i dont think this is a problem with the spending limit since that only applies to ATM's as far as i know. I just hope the can accept my card over the phone or its gonna be hard to find another way around it!

Edit: Ta fish i'll look into that though i really want to avoid having a credit card if i can simply because i dont like the idea that i can spend money i dont have :)

Thanks guys,

Mark.

8. legion macrumors 6502a

If you are using a UK card on the Australia site, it won't work (even over the phone) Since you are shippng to your UK address (I assume since your bank account in the UK), order on the uk site.