Apple Store? PowerMax? ExperCom?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by interstate8, May 5, 2004.

1. interstate8 macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2004
    Sea Town
    Has anyone had an issue with either PowerMax or ExperCom?

I'm trying to save on tax and even save on some config charges (in ExperCom's case), but I'm fresh off a horrible experience with Mac Mall.

Is the best and safest bet to always just go through the Apple Store?

Thanks for all advice.
  2. gemio17 macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003
    IMHO - Apple store=safe. Especially when dropping a serious amount pf cash for something that you want to last. If you know anyone who is a student, educator or works for any sort of education or gov't agency (even museums, and sub-contractors) you can use their discount at the Apple Store
    - it says specifically-for gov't employees anyway-
    "Personal Discount: You may purchase or "sponsor" up to six system bundles each calendar year (January 1-December 31). "Sponsoring" means placing an order for a family member or friend. No more than two systems or monitors may be shipped each calendar year to the same individual or entity (i.e., company, institution, club or group), whether that purchase is sponsored solely by you or, also, by other eligible employees. You may not sponsor the purchase of products by any educational institution. A system bundle includes, and is limited to, one CPU, one display (built-in displays count as one display), one AirPort card and one Airport Base station. You do not need to purchase all components of a system bundle at the same time to qualify for the discount."

It's worth looking into, I saved a bunch of money going this way.
  3. interstate8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2004
    Sea Town
    Thanks for that. I actually do have a connection there, and that makes a lot of sense. I think I developed hypertension over the Mac Mall debacle.

I'm always trying to be extra "thrifty," though there's another word for that...

4. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I've had good luck with Powermax. Had a trade in that I got a lot more for than I expected. And no-tax because it's in OR, sometimes they'll even toss in free stuff, and you can even BTO, but you do pay shipping. Apple Store is nice if you want it now. Online is good for edu discount, free shipping usually, and more BTO options. But you pay tax.

Do a search, there are a lot of threads about this.