Apple Store question re: students and other states

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fowler., Jul 19, 2004.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I'm trying to be cheap basically. I'm going to see my dad in Oregon coming up soon. I'd like to purchase a Mac with no sales tax up there with my student discount then ship it home (I get a really good deal on shipping).

Are you allowed to purchase something with the discount if its out of your schools state? I'm assuming you can.. and this isn't being really shifty, just cheap :p

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Sure. Is there a law that says if you live in california you can't go to school in new york??? Nope. Your not being cheap, your just using a glitch in the system. Good luck.

3. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Spanks. I guess it might seem too good to be true if I can save a little money over my school's already decent prices.

4. kidA macrumors regular

no problem at all. it's not even a glitch—just taking advantage of the fact that there's no sales tax in oregon. nothing unethical to worry about, especially since your dad lives there. anyway, it would be the same if you just bought a computer while vacationing in oregon. any college student id will do, the state doesn't matter.

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I have ordered a laptop using a new york schools education discount and had it shipped to my home, out of state, but i still got charged sales tax for new york. I have also ordered products and had them shipped to my home, in a state where apple has no stores or warehouses, and i still got charged tax.

6. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Heh, after all that I'd only save $7.

Oh well. I guess I'll just wait til we get the 2.5s in :)

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

you could do it BUT i bet you'd have to ship it out of your own pocket, because if you ship it from the apple store you'd have to pay sales tax on the ship-to address.
    but i've been known to be wrong...call an apple store and ask them, most people arent interested in helping the usps or another state get more in taxes, so they might just be willing to give you some pointers.

8. m.r.m. macrumors regular

i´ll be visiting the us in 2 months. which states don´t have the sales tax? i´ll be doing an east coast tour with a friend. somehow i think there aren´t any states on the east coast without sales tax. :(

9. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I work for FedEx/Kinkos, so shipping from up there to LA/SD would be like, $20ish dollars. But like I said, it wouldn't be worth all the trouble if I'm only saving a few bucks (few, meaning less than $10)