Apple Store Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jenpot, Feb 2, 2005.

1. jenpot macrumors newbie

jenpot

I am interested in purchasing the powerbook 12 inch with the superdrive.

When i went to the apple site to customize it, the only thing i did was pick a 512 stick aside from the built in 256. is it possible to get the same thing from a physical apple store?

or are all BTOs done through the online store only?

thank you so much.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

As far as I know, the only BTO option you have at the physical store is Apple RAM (at least with desktops, I'm not sure if they sell laptop RAM). Anything else needs to be done via the online Apple Store; such as hard drive, video card, BT, etc. With a PowerMac, however, many of these components can be changed by you on your own. However with a laptop, it is a bit more difficult to upgrade things; if it can even be done that is.

3. jenpot thread starter macrumors newbie

jenpot

thank you so much for your reply! i guess i will just have to call the store first and see if they can do it there. if not...then i guess i'll just have to wait. *sigh* lol.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

No problem

Yea I hope my post made sense. Aside from the RAM (at least with the PowerMacs, hopefully for the PBs in your case), if there is anything else you wanted upgraded by Apple, it needs to be done online. And if your getting a laptop or iMac where expandability isn't as easy as a on PowerMac, then BTO is pretty much your only chance to upgrade.

If anyone can clarify the availability of RAM for PBs at the physical Apple Store, post.

5. jenpot thread starter macrumors newbie

jenpot

yes it did! :D right now...with the specs that the pb has, the only thing i really need to upgrade is the RAM. i'm pretty happy with the 80 GB and the superdrive. am i missing anything else?

6. B.Lehman macrumors newbie

Upgrading RAM on a powerbook is about the only easy upgrade. Really, you can do this. All you have to do is flip the thing over, remove the battery, and remove an access panel. It even tells you exactly how to do this in the powerbook manual. If RAM is all that you want to upgrade, I wouldn't bother with either BTO, or getting it installed at an Apple Store. You can get a much better deal on the RAM through Crucial, OWC, or another reputable vendor and handle this one yourself.

-- Brad

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Well according to the BTO's:

• RAM, you got that.
    • HD, you're fine with 80GB
    • Apple Display?
    • Keyboard language? (probably English?)
    • AppleCare?

8. jenpot thread starter macrumors newbie

jenpot

this would have been a great idea, [this was what i was going to do if i had ended up getting an ibook but the pbs are too tempting] but since the new pbs come with 512 - one built in and one in the slot, i don't want to be stuck with the one stick i have to take out to put the new one.

or am i mistaken?

9. jenpot thread starter macrumors newbie

jenpot

not really interested in a display...and i can get applecare from a physical store, right?

so i guess it's just really the RAM.

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea you can get the AppleCare at the physical store, but I think you have to bring your computer with you for the serial number or something. I know when I got my PM I got the AppleCare at the sametime and the worker got the serial numbers off the PM and display.

Also, you have a year to get the AppleCare when purchase a Mac.

11. jenpot thread starter macrumors newbie

jenpot

no problem since i'll probably get it at the same time. i thought about holding off until the end of the [warranty] year...but while i have the money to get it...i'll just get it. just one painful financial punch, so to speak.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife purchased a 15" PowerBook at a local Apple Store. They were able to install additional RAM, Airport Card, and Bluetooth. I would highly recommend AppleCare for a PowerBook.

13. jenpot thread starter macrumors newbie

jenpot

cool! thanks :D