Apple Store Refurbished Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pjkelnhofer, Sep 29, 2003.

1. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

I was just wondering about the stock at the "refurbished" section of the AppleStore.com.
    It seems that things come and go pretty quickly. I have only recently discovered that section and was wondering how often new things come up in it.
    Basically, I am saving my money to get a new G5 next year, but in the meantime I need something that can run Final Cut 4.0 and DVD Studio 2 (something which my 400 MHz G3 iMac cannot do).
    I was hoping to pick up the refurbed 800 MHz eMac which was going for $599 (remember I am trying to save up to get a full system next year and I want to take as little money from that savings as possible).
    It was listed one day, the next there was no check box for it, and now there are no eMacs listed at all.
    Should I just keep checking everyday until is reappears, or it is probably gone for good and I should come up with a new plan.
    All advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    PJ
    ps. I am a little upset iMac only made it three years... my IIx lasted me seven.

2. primalman macrumors 6502a

Re: Apple Store Refurbished Question

I got iMacs going on 4 years....but, yes, keep checking the refurb page, it changes all the time. Also, check Smalldog.com, they carry refurbs as well. And they are worth it too, cheap and the same.

3. djtet macrumors regular

dp g4 1.25

I was searching for weeks for the dp g4 1.25 and it was always out of stock. i saw it one morning and was going to order during lunch and it was gone. but i finally got one. the key is to check on tuesday mornings eastern time. it seems that tuesday is the day for updates to the store...check tomorrow morning!

4. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

my imac 400 DV is going to be 5 in a few weeks:)/:(

anyway, i now they use eMacs at my school for FCP. not sure of it's 4 or not though.

5. pjkelnhofer thread starter macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

I am sure my iMac has plenty of life in it, but I need to be able to run FCP and DVD Studio Pro and both need fast G4 machines.
    My IIx survived until I need some software that could not run on a 68k machine.

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Re: dp g4 1.25

thank you sooo much djtet!
    thanx to your advice about tuesdays i bought my first mac this morning at 7:09AM (a moment that will live in infamy!!)

thanx again djtet,

Reality

it's going to be an awesome ride!

7. djtet macrumors regular

Re: Re: dp g4 1.25

Not a problem! Just trying to help out! Hope all works well with your machine.

8. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Yes thanks for the info, I have been watching the refurb store trying to figure out what their pattern was--but I had been unsuccessful so far.

fraeone

9. pjkelnhofer thread starter macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

No luck this week on the reappearance of refurbed eMac so I will continue to keep my fingers crossed. The only problem being I have DVD Studio 2 and FCP 4 sitting in boxes next to my G3 iMac that cannot run them.
    So I am going to give it another week or so and just buy a new eMac (this will take an extra $200 out of my G5 - Summer of 2004 fund). :(

10. djtet macrumors regular

pjkelnhofer

Just keep looking...Also check out smalldog.com, clubmac, maczone, macconection, macwarehouse...they all usually have "clearance" or "open box" or "refurbished" machines...