Apple Store Regents Street all lines due to be updated 10% off...WWDC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shadowmoses, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Just came back from Apple Store Regents street and all the products that are due to be updated were at 10% off while stocks last, the products in offer where:

-Single Processor Powermac G5
    -Mac Mini
    -iBook G4
    -Powerbook G4
    -Cinema Displays
    -Shuffle's

This offer started this morning and most of it was gone by the time i got there this afternoon, and the offer lasts this weekend only....

This is surely one of the biggest signs yet that we are in for major updates in the coming week in all these lines.....

BRING ON WWDC

SHadow

2. macrumors 603

gekko513

Nice, it's a good sign. And the selection of products do seem to make sense ... except maybe the displays.

3. macrumors regular

Unless there will be a small update to them. Enough for a new moel number maybe, but not different looking on the outside.

4. macrumors member

w00t there is hope yet friends!!! Let's get it started!!! teh WWDC!!!!!

5. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i hope the single proc power mac is on sale because steve is going to debut a dual core power mac at the top of the line, pushing every other model down a notch. :D

6. macrumors 6502

Means nothing. Apple Online store shows "same day" shipping for everything. 10% off retail pricing in London is the equivalent of "regular" pricing here in the States. Deals are illusions.

7. macrumors 65816

James Philp

'Bout time they got rid of that PM! All you need do is chec this out to know how crap it is now!
    I have a feeling a new high-end PM model will be announced, and the dual 2GHz will be the new low-end PM.
    I think it will be 2, 2.3, 2.7 and maybe 3 or 3.2.

Very interesting about the powerbooks though. We may be seeing a totally different concept to the PB design!? (like not G5 but some other kind of integrated architecture that will give them a significant speed boost)
    This would allow the iBooks room to breathe upgrade-wise.

8. macrumors G3

puckhead193

I never under stood why they still had them once the iMac G5's came out...If your going to get a powermac your going to get it for its dual processors..

9. macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Why would they offer a 10% discount if they weren't all getting a little update..so close to WWDC, clearly an attempt to clear stock of products that will be updatednext week.

10. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

those exist because of the anti All-In-One buyers

if you read many threads here you'll find lots and lots of posts from people saying they wont ever buy an AIO because they don't want to have to pay for another monitor when they upgrade in future or they're afraid the monitor will die and then the whole computer will be worthless trash or they all ready have a perfectly good monitor so why should they be forced to buy a new one.....and so on......even if you dont agree with them, there are lots of people who feel quite strongly against buying an AIO

it's similar to the the emac vs mini arguements......just a bit further up the price scale.......so with the SP they have something to buy, even if it's not a particularly good deal compared to the iMac

11. macrumors 68040

You mean they didn't put all Macs with IBM CPUs on sale to make way for Intel?? Crazy!

12. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

G4's are from Freescale, not IBM. :)

13. macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I wonder if this has anything to do with the report that stated Apple had large supplies of all their products bar the iMac for the first time in God knows when. It would be fantastic if we saw wholesale updates come Monday but it may just be an attempt to clear inventory because thay have too much. I'll play devil's advocate on this one.

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

They also had a large amount of Rev A Ipod mini's in pink on discount, i didnt bother to check the price because they are of no interest to me....but i wonder where they got that stock from, shows pink was the least popular colour though.

ShadoW

15. macrumors 6502

UK prices are much more than US.

Prices in £ at an exchange rate of £1 : $ 1.80, no US tax included

iBook 12" - UK 699, US 553
    PBook 12" combo - UK 1,049, US 830
    PB 15" SD - UK 1,579, US 1,273
    iMac 17" 2.0 - UK 999, US 830
    PM 2.0 - UK 1,349, US 1,107

Even with 10% off in UK and +7% tax in US they are still more expensive in the UK.

Regardless of this, I'd say a 10% discount on *these models* in the Regent Street, London store is a sure sign of Apple clearing out old inventory.

Bring on Monday

:D

16. macrumors 603

aswitcher

A good sign...thanks...wonder if the other UK store is discounting...

17. thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Also forgot to mention they had the apple Bluetooth mice at 10% off aswell.
    Shadow

18. macrumors 6502

Maybe Apple have stopped broadcasting new updates via ship times, (they must know how much people like us are reading in to them.) Apple price most things as more expensive in the UK than the US, a song on iTunes is 99p in the UK which is $1.79, (compared with $0.99 from US iTunes,) so the 10% off for the weekend isn't due to price differences. It could be excess stock but I really hope it points to updates, (all the discounts are on ranges with updates rumoured.)

19. macrumors regular

Maybe a sign for an 'update' to a two-button mouse? ;)

20. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Actually, it's 79p (inc VAT) rather than 99c (ex sales tax) - still dearer but not by as much you think...

21. macrumors 603

gekko513

I just had an unnerving thought. What if the Regent street store just applied a discount to the products they think may be updated next week, and that they don't really know anything more than we do and base the discounts just on rumors.

They wouldn't really lose anything by doing that, I'm sure they still have a small profit even after the 10% discount and at the same time they will have a lower inventory on any products that actually are updated, reducing loss.

22. dcv
    macrumors G3

Well I popped over to Regent Street earlier...

...but didn't manage to bag any bargains :(

I asked one of the sales guys what the deal was and he said it was just the boxes piled up in the middle of the store that were discounted, basically because they were opened boxes from returns, or damaged packaging, or refurbished items, etc.

There weren't any notebooks left by the time i got there today. They had 17" imacs for £899 and the 20" (or whatever the larger size is) for £1070. There was a powermac with about £350 off the regular price. Some cinema displays available but can't remember the price. The airport extreme was down to £99 and there were various other peripherals on sale. Still plenty of those pink mini ipods left!

I don't think this sale has anything to do with impending updates as the non-refurbished stuff was still normal price.

Edit: i just checked the regular price of the imacs and they start at £899 anyway :confused:

23. macrumors 65816

asif786

i heard that it was because they ordered a vast amount of pink minis for valentines day and they didnt all shift.

they've been putting those old minis out for ages..looks like nobody wants themm..who would?

24. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Pity...they do that most Saturdays I think. Or perhaps just the first Saturday in the month - I know I saw a pile of junk.... or rather refurb'ed items.... that day.

How much are the pink minis? It's my sister's birthday in a few weeks and she really wouldn't care which model it was...so long as it was pink.

25. macrumors 65816

asif786

i think it was only marginally cheaper than the current 4gb ones..perhaps £129/£139..perhaps that's why nobody wants them.. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.