Apple store says I need 8 GB of ram???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cloud10, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Cloud10 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get a second 30" monitor for my G5 Quad. Aside from the fact that Apple seems unable to provide a graphics card that will allow such a setup, they're now also saying I'll need 8 GB of ram. What does RAM have to do with graphics cards???

ANyone running dual 30's without 8 GB of RAM?

Paul

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, you need a GRAPHICS CARD that has 128 MB of RAM... (In addition to having two dual-link DVI ports.) But main system RAM has nothing to do with running dual 30"ers. You should be able to run two 30" displays on a Power Mac G4 with 128 MB of system memory, as long as you have an AGP video card with two dual-link DVI ports.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

The quardo Nvidia card is capably of running dual 30" monitors.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

from Apple's G5 graphics page

5. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I was gonna say, I thought that the G5 could support dual displays out of the box, even dual 30".

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Attached Files:

7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I think the PowerMac G5 supports dual displays out of the box (20" and 23"), but if you want to connect two 30" displays, you'll need the Quadro FX 4500. If you go to the Apple Store, you can "build" a PowerMac G5 Quad, you'll see "Note: The NVIDIA GeForce FX 4500 is required to drive two 30" displays from one graphics card. " under the "Second Display" tab.

EDIT: WildCowboy beat me to that one. Looks like you can get an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 too.