Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
The mini's price doesn't allow them to have a sizable markup, therefore it's not a product Apple likes.

Well, it's definitely a nice product for those switchers. I know the bottom line Macbook has way better bang for the buck and costs a little more; but there are plenty of people that don't want a laptop or spend that much money for the first Mac experience.

I love the mini. Quiet, small, power efficient. Want to get one for quite a while now, but they're still a tad too expensive and underpowered. If the high end model cost as much as the low end currently, and the low end was (pricewise) dropped accordingly, I would take one. Just to have a little home server that records my eyeTV shows when my Laptop's not at home, to have the Time Machine Drive (and all those other externals) connected so I can backup wirelessly, etc. All things you can do without having a keyboards, mouse and screen attached. I can use my Macbook and use remote Desktop when I need it.

I would be sad if the Mini was to disappear. Prices would got up on eBay... they're already higher there than what my edu discount gets me for a new one.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
You guys are probably right on the iPhone. I\'ll hold off until Jan anyway to see what happens. One can still hope I guess. I would just hate to buy now and have them throw that curve ball at MWSF. They already did it once with the price drop.

I guarantee they will add 16 GB to the iPhone. It is beyond obvious. Now if they don\'t do it at MacWorld it will absolutely be soon after, BEFORE the 2nd Gen comes out. Now the pricing I\'m not sure. I wouldn\'t be surprised if they drop the price of the 8 GB again and do something like 8 GB iPhone $299 and 16 GB $399.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
The mini's price doesn't allow them to have a sizable markup, therefore it's not a product Apple likes.

Wow, how greedy of them! Dell and HP make affordable computers with lower margins. I guess Apple thinks everyone is rich or wants an all-in-one iMac. I'm telling you they are wrong on both counts. Leave the mini be!

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
Cinema Display: buy. For real.

The current lineup of Cinema Displays is certainly long in the tooth, and the displays are overpriced at first blush... but they're a better deal than they appear (particularly at educational prices). The reason is superior panel technology.

Both the 20" and 23" models are some of the only remaining displays available in those size categories where you can be dead certain you'll get a S-IPS panel. In the 20" category it's nearly impossible to find them (and even Apple's own 20" iMac switched to TN garbage). In the 24" category it's a crapshoot -- many suppliers including Dell package whatever panels they can easily get and sell them under the same model numbers. All current 2560x1600 30" displays are still S-IPS. We'll see how long that lasts.

Most consumer panels have moved to TN, a technology that is cheap and features fast refresh rates but results in awful, constantly shifting color. I find TN displays unusable for viewing or editing photos, and unpleasant for daily use. (Sadly, only TN displays are currently available in laptops at the moment. The one 15.4" S-IPS panel, which Apple never used, is no longer being manufactured.)

The 20" has always been an excellent product. The 23" had problems with pink backlighting early on but those have been resolved in newer models. If I were in the market for a display I would not hesitate to buy a 20" or 23" Cinema Display today.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Seriously! My Power Mac Dual G5 died last week (logic board / disk controller started corrupting disks, wee) and there is no way I'm buying the current incarnation. Those new models need to make it out the door!

Do you have applecare?
My Quad has so many problems that Apple already committed to replace it for a new machine. I am waiting for the update in order to go ahead and replace it.
If you have applecare and you have a history of problems, Apple definitely could replace your machine. Go for it!

Pandaboots

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Dallas, Texas
As a stockholder I don't like this post suggesting to not increase Apple's sales this 1/4 by waiting to buy. However, as an Apple consumer I think it's a nice buyer's guide recommendation post. Seeing how imminent changes are literally around the corner, it will pay off to wait a bit. Either you get the new goodies you dreamed of or you get the old ones at a substantial savings...You can't lose by waiting at this point. Now my financial side has a thought - luckily most Apple consumers do not read Macrumors and are happily padding Apple's bottom line for their fiscal Q1 and also padding my wallet too. :p

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I really want to get a MacBook on Christmas day, but would it be stupid not to wait the extra 21 days till Macworld?

I need this laptop to last me at least 2 or 3 years, so obviously it would be annoying if it is no longer the newest model within the first month of me owning it.

chadder007

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Mini

As much as I want a Mac Mini.....Im not going to get one until they come out with an upgrade to it. It has been neglected for way too long for a major update.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
im going to say what other have been afraid to post on this thread:

i want the iMac to update at MWSF!

:p

seriously, even if it's just a minor bump like the MacBook recently saw, that's all i need to get in line for one.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I really want to get a MacBook on Christmas day, but would it be stupid not to wait the extra 21 days till Macworld?

I need this laptop to last me at least 2 or 3 years, so obviously it would be annoying if it is no longer the newest model within the first month of me owning it.

I'd say wait it out. it's only 21 more days. I'm gonna be purchasing my first apple laptop and decided to hold off until then, as much as I'd love to have one sitting under the tree.

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Seriously! My Power Mac Dual G5 died last week (logic board / disk controller started corrupting disks, wee) and there is no way I'm buying the current incarnation. Those new models need to make it out the door!

Well, I have a G4 400 that's eight years old. It still works perfectly, but is too slow to do much of what I want it to do. Forget about doing 8x10 color Photoshop files (filters take forever, there's often a delay, and it can only take 1.5 Gb of RAM); it has a lot of trouble with online videos (its graphics card has 16 Mb of memory on it)... So I have no problems with the longevity of Apple's products, it's just that at this point, my computer is obsolescent.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
It's a wild guess as to what Steve J will introduce at MWSF. We know that the first 10-15 minutes will be spent going over some very nice sales numbers and then Steve gets into the stuff we're interested in.

Since the 08 versions of iLife and iWork have already hit the market there will be more time for hardware, so the question is what hardware?

Last year a lot of time was spent on the iPhone and I would be very surprised if there wasn't another push in this area. Apple wants there 1% of the market (and a lot more) before 12/31/08 so January is the time for pushing to the next level. That might mean a second design - it's simply time for another one - and it might mean some good news with Intel Inside. I'm wanting one, but will wait until the SDK is out and a lot of apps are available, 16 (hopefully 32) gig versions available for a decent price and there is at least 1 or 2 more OS X updates to finalize the platform the way Apple wants it to be.

In terms of Macs, I believe it will depend on what Intel is delivering. I believe that Apple will move to new Macs as the new chips become available and things look nice in that area.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
cinema display

I'm just starting off as a graphic and web designer, and i soooo want an ACD to go with my MBP. I sure hope they update them. I'm waiting at least until after MWSF to buy one.

I've heard their great for color accuracy... hopefully that's true.

My experiences with MBP screens have not been so positive. (I'm on my 5th screen!)

hollywoodmacguy

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
more cinema display thoughts

I'm just starting off as a graphic and web designer, and i soooo want an ACD to go with my MBP. I sure hope they update them. I'm waiting at least until after MWSF to buy one.

i'm in almost exactly the same boat. am waiting for MWSF to see what announcements, if any, are made about both the MBP and the ACD, both of which i'm eager to get ASAP. my thinking/strategy re january 15th is:

- no MBP update/refresh/redesign/hint of imminent change: immediate purchase of current model (17")

- MBP update/refresh/redesign: immediate purchase of new model as soon as it's available, assuming the the lead time is less than the iPhone was last year...

- no ACD update/refresh/redesign: hold off on purchasing. rationale: they will be updated eventually/soon and i'll have my new MBP and can wait - as painful as it will be - for the newer display.

- ACD update/refresh/redesign: immediate purchase of new model as soon as it's available. exception: if for some reason the design is not sweet (hard to imagine) would then by the old model (today's current model) at presumably a lower price.

related note: read in one of the many threads on this topic that, with only one exception, :apple: has never redesigned the mac pro without simultaneously updating the displays that go with them. if that's true and if it's also true that the mac pro is on the cusp of a major penryn update and possible redesign, seems logical that the displays are also on that same cusp... two big ifs in that last statement i realize...

bottom line: can't wait for MWSF!

sagefool1975

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
Well, I have a G4 400 that's eight years old. It still works perfectly, but is too slow to do much of what I want it to do. Forget about doing 8x10 color Photoshop files (filters take forever, there's often a delay, and it can only take 1.5 Gb of RAM); it has a lot of trouble with online videos (its graphics card has 16 Mb of memory on it)... So I have no problems with the longevity of Apple's products, it's just that at this point, my computer is obsolescent.

That's cool your G4 still works. If my Dual G5 still worked I'd be super down with keeping it, but when buying a new one I don't want to buy a model that is over a year old - that would be just crazy talk in the land of computers! ;)

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
I do think that now the dust has settled and we have the iPhone in Europe we can see that it's not the roaring success the hype predicted.

I agree, Europe is a very tough market to crack... and maybe the iphone hasnt been all out "WOW" as every had hope.
  • It's too expensive when compared with other (subsidised) phones

• True especially on a contract! You can pick up the N95 free these days and the specs are a lot better.. just shame its a) a Nokia b) does not look as nice

[*]The carrier phone plans are way way too expensive - bordering on a mug's game

Agree the tarriff for the iphone is totally not good - great if you want the net, but voice and text are very poor unless you go for the higher end and a lot for expensive tariff's. Again looking at the n95 on o2 you can get it free and the same deal for £35 makes the iphone tariff look very poor indeed (except for the data).

[*]The legally unlocked phones are stupidly expensive (€750 = $1080)

That is a different story.. but its all down to marketing and an o2/apple contract that will be up to the trading standards to sort out...
    [*]EDGE isn't well implemented and it's just too slow when compared with 3G
    not as well implemented but the take of 3g in the UK is not as essential as rest of the world, however 3g coverage on the other networks are very good compared to edge.
    [*]There's too many missing features (video, modem, version 1 apps)
    Agreed and i hope Apple's some how software updates these features asap.

There needs to be an iphone type news (SDK, 2nd gen, mem boost) at macworld.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
i'm in almost exactly the same boat. am waiting for MWSF to see what announcements, if any, are made about both the MBP and the ACD, both of which i'm eager to get ASAP. my thinking/strategy re january 15th is:

- no MBP update/refresh/redesign/hint of imminent change: immediate purchase of current model (17")

- MBP update/refresh/redesign: immediate purchase of new model as soon as it's available, assuming the the lead time is less than the iPhone was last year...

bottom line: can't wait for MWSF!

^ that sums up my priorities :)

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
As long as we're talking about what to buy and when, this is just a heads up for Canadian buyers; Bestbuy Canada seems to be selling certain iPods for close to or matching US prices. The 8 gig Touch is matching the US price of $299, a $30 saving.

Yes, I know, with the current exchange rate, they should be matching US prices anyway. But we know many retailers are not. However, an 8gig touch for 299 (as it should be) might save you a trip across the border.

I don't know if Best Buy in the US is also offering discounts on these items.

On that same topic, Walmart is running this dumb ad (no surprise) where the guy accidentally gives away the iPod intended for his son to the paperboy. So he goes to Walmart for a cheap replacement iPod while the voice over prattles on about low prices and easy shopping. I don't shop at Walmart as a rule, but I had to investigate this claim that iPods were somehow cheaper and easier to get there. After fighting through the throngs of unsmiling people, I can assure you that you will save money at Walmart; exactly 3 cents on every iPod model as compared to the Apple Store. On top of that, most of the toy prices I checked on the way out were the same or higher than Toys'R'Us, just so ya know.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
[...] The mini's price doesn't allow them to have a sizable markup, therefore it's not a product Apple likes.

If it wasn't profitable they would never have spent even more money by designing an intel motherboard for it. The fact that it made it to the intel transition does prove something.

And if it was really all only about profit, they would never have made it this small, in an anodized aluminum casing, with a 2.5" hard drive and laptop slot-sload optical drive. This isn't a PC, it's a Mac.

You don't know what the markup is on the Mac mini or any other Mac, so you can't compare markups either. It's the only low-cost Mac that allows Apple to increase their marketshare (even if the sticker price is twice as high as a low-end PC - no "value" arguments here please, sticker price only), so I don't see why Apple would not like it.

If they can make a profit on a 89$ iPod shuffle, I'm sure they can make a profit on a 599$ screen-less, keyboard-less, mouse-less computer.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
I think there is a need for Apple to release a smaller footprint iPhone (nano). 2.5" and half the thickness of the current iPhone. iPhone as it is - is a bit too big for many people. And - 2.5" would still be usable for multitouch.

eqinespecter

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
alabama
best place to buy iphone?

The iPhone, however, has more pressure to receive timely updates due to ongoing competition. The iPhone is rumored to see its next major revision in Mid-to-Late 2008. The biggest upgrade expected is a 3G chipset which has been promised for 2008. Whether or not to buy an iPhone now really depends on the your individual need for 3G and if potentially waiting until late 2008 is feasible.I may go ahead and buy 2 iphones for x'mas. Any suggestions on whether to buy from Apple or from a local ATT store? Was wondering if the phones from Apple might be more likely to have been software updated?

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006

.....The iPhone, however, has more pressure to receive timely updates due to ongoing competition. The iPhone is rumored to see its next major revision in Mid-to-Late 2008. The biggest upgrade expected is a 3G chipset which has been promised for 2008. Whether or not to buy an iPhone now really depends on the your individual need for 3G and if potentially waiting until late 2008 is feasible.

Article Link

Always difficult to predict more than 6 months ahead with the cellular phone market which is in a constant state of flux. What if Apple can't get the batterty life up as much as they want, would they instead just leap frog to 4G?
Verizon confirms 4G access, to share with AT&T
http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/11/29/verizon.chooses.lte.for.4g/

Connections in real situations are expected to be slower but still easily exceed the peak speeds of Verizon's current EVDO Revision A network, which peaks at 1.4 megabits per second downstream in actual use. This and the CDMA calling network that form the backbone of Verizon's service are ultimately expected to phase out as a result of the announcement.

The changeover to LTE is also poised to create a significant ripple effect in the cellular industry, increasing compatibility between Verizon and other networks. Vodafone, which owns a significant stake in Verizon, also plans to migrate from its incompatible GSM and HSPA networks to LTE. It will effectively let Verizon customers roam on its high-speed connection without changing devices or relying on a dual-mode phone such as the BlackBerry 8830, which supports both CDMA and GSM.

AT&T is similarly positioned to switch to LTE and could for the first time allow roaming between its network and Verizon's, increasing the overall coverage between the two services. Customers from AT&T with LTE cellphones should also be able to port their phones to Verizon's newly open network without being locked to the latter provider's choice of software. However, the break will also isolate smaller carriers such as Alltel and Sprint, both of whom have either revealed no immediate plans beyond 3G (in the case of Alltel) or which have expressed a desire to use WiMAX instead of LTE, as with Sprint's upcoming Xohm service.

A joint trial of LTE between Verizon and Vodafone will start sometime in 2008, though neither company has said when it plans to launch a commercial service. These networks are so far predicted to launch in 2009 or 2010.

Wu states 3G is a 'niche' market even in Europe & Japan.

AmTech: 3G for iPhone is 'niche technology'
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/12/17/3g.iphone.is.niche.tech/

As to when the iPhone gets 16GB upgrade, as soon as it (memory) comes down in price---no need of additional/revised iPhone for this simple upgrade. Such an upgrade would likely result in a drop in price on the 8GB, with the 16GB being at the top price tier currently the same as the 8GB. At some point the 8GB would likely be discontinued, just like 4GB.

Nightrain

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2003
iPhone

Seems to me that buying an iPhone now is a pretty safe purchase. As Arn mentioned earlier, it's not subsidized, so no activation discounts apply. More importantly, however, iPhones (especially unlocked versions) are selling for way more than $400 on ebay. Say a Gen 2 iPhone comes out in 6 months and you want to upgrade. Well, I would imagine the value of a Gen 1 iPhone will take a hit, but I could still see them selling (after you unlock them) for 300-400 used. So to upgrade to the Gen 2 phone, it would essentially cost you about $0-$100, maybe $200 at MOST. Does that logic make sense? Am I forgetting something? I think that makes it an easy decision if you're on the fence right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.