Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pure Group today announced that its Pure Fitness gym located at Knightsbridge, a four-storey luxury shopping center in Singapore, will be closing on December 15, 2015 to make space for the first Apple Store in the country opening late 2016, per Tech in Asia and multiple Singaporean news outlets.

Pure-Fitness-Singapore-800x417.jpg
Pure Fitness is located at 270 Orchard Road in Singapore (Google Maps)

Pure Fitness will reportedly be one of several tenants relocating to allow for the upcoming Apple Store at 270 Orchard Road, an upscale area in the city center. The gym sent customers a similar notice that confirms it "will be handing back space to the landlord to make way for the opening of Singapore's first Apple store later in 2016."

knightsbridge.png

Apple does not have an official retail presence in Singapore, a large city-state and country south of Malaysia in Southeast Asia, but the Apple Online Store and dozens of Apple Authorized Resellers operate in the region. The closest physical Apple Stores are located several hours away in Australia and Hong Kong.

Article Link: Apple to Open First Retail Store in Singapore in Late 2016

Reactions: appledefenceforce

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
Really glad... Really really glad. Apple support in Singapore has been rather mediocre - AppleCare calls are often routed to Australia (based on personal experiences)!

Singapore is finally getting the attention.

Reactions: indieda

darenyoong

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
Singapore
Excellent news. It was very hard getting an early look at new hardware in Singapore, as stock for most resellers only comes in 2-4 weeks after the official launch. Having an Apple Store in Singapore will also hopefully give the resellers more healthy competition.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is interesting. Did Apple buy out PURE's lease? How did it come about that PURE and others will move to make space for Apple?

cplee70

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
It's about time! Singapore has one of the highest adoption rates of Apple products. Not sure why it took so long for Apple to finally open an official Apple Retail Store here. Better late than never!

Looking forward to queue at the store just in time for the iPhone 7 launch!

--cp

Reactions: indieda and Chansy

stehsegler2

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2015
The support offering by licensed Apple re-sellers in Singapore is a joke. This is long overdue. My guess is all those shops offering Apple products and support from Wheelock Place right down to Plaza Singapura will pretty much be out of business come mid 2017. By mid 2018 the majority of Apple re-sellers will be gone. This is what happened in Australia and I doubt Singapore will be any different.

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
This is interesting. Did Apple buy out PURE's lease? How did it come about that PURE and others will move to make space for Apple?

Apple probably did that, they have the $ to do it. that is especially when the notice put up by PURE was short.

The support offering by licensed Apple re-sellers in Singapore is a joke. This is long overdue. My guess is all those shops offering Apple products and support from Wheelock Place right down to Plaza Singapura will pretty much be out of business come mid 2017. By mid 2018 the majority of Apple re-sellers will be gone. This is what happened in Australia and I doubt Singapore will be any different.

given the re-seller level of service, they do not deserve to be around. but re-seller outlet at the heartland area will probably still be around but i definitely won't go to them.

had always brought apple product from the online store since there is no official store in singapore.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
About time, I don't get it why it took so long.
It's a shoppers paradise, lots of local people buy Apple, and lots (millions) of tourists with money visit Singapore, it should have one years ago.

Apple does not have an official retail presence in Singapore, a large city-state and country south of Malaysia in Southeast Asia, but the Apple Online Store and dozens of Apple Authorized Resellers operate in the region. The closest physical Apple Stores are located several hours away in Australia and Hong Kong.​

Singapore is a major city, no need to add its location, I think MR readers know where it is located.
It will take you a minimum of 7-8 hours by plane to get from Singapore to HK or Australia.(Including getting to and from airport and waiting time.

SG to HK = 4 hours flight
SG to Brisbane (closest Apple store in AUS) = 8 hours flight

Last edited:

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Finally!

The authorised resellers and service providers here sucks!

I queued for 3 hours to fix my phone.

You can imagine the queue and crowd in the service store which is giving Apple a really bad reputation.
You would be lucky to make a genius appointment in downtown Toronto within a week and we have a few stores in Greater Toronto Area.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
You would be lucky to make a genius appointment in downtown Toronto within a week and we have a few stores in Greater Toronto Area.

Thankfully we have a lot of Apple Stores in and around the Greater Toronto Area to choose from.

There are 4 stores within Toronto city limits: Eaton Centre, Fairview, Sherway Gardens and Yorkdale.

There are 4 more stores within a 30-45 minute drive in Markham, Newmarket, Mississauga and Burlington.

There is also a store an hour away in Waterloo, and 2 more each about 2 hours away in Buffalo, NY and London.

That's 11 Apple Stores within a 2 hour drive of Toronto. I'd say we're pretty lucky!

Reactions: satcomer

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
AASPs and authorised resellers are really bad. I used to work for one after my A levels and I must say that while some staff members do show a level of customer care, many others do not and most have little idea about the products themselves.

Worse is when the management decides to create "forced bundles" to try to earn profits. There have been several incidences where cheap screen protectors had to be sold with an iPad at launch at an additional $20 premium. For my old part-time workplace, the company was actually able to mark up the price of the iPhone 5 by about $100 compared to other resellers or the Apple Store online.

Such shameful behaviour must be put to an end. When Apple has an actual retail presence here, I sure hope these resellers/AASPs will up the ante or risk losing customers.

zadkielyeo

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
Finally.. It's about time, the oligopoly of so called "premium" resellers/service providers will be over. The entire climate just spells profit priority and mediocre service (I'm not saying apple doesn't want to sell their products, but at least they show that they care).
Have been disappointed that we couldn't experience the proper apple store experience.
You'll understand what I mean if you've experienced it at an apple store overseas :)

Good riddance.

Last edited:

wordup60

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Apple does not have an official retail presence in Singapore, a large city-state and country south of Malaysia in Southeast Asia.

Explaining what and where Singapore is. Cute. Also, if you don't know where Singapore is, referencing it in relation to Malaysia probably isn't going to help much.

Reactions: simonmet

indieda

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Singapore
I am ABSOLUTELY STOKED AT THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. The emails and the feedback to Apple has been heard (although it took quite awhile).

Justin8789

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Finally!

The authorised resellers and service providers here sucks!

I queued for 3 hours to fix my phone.

You can imagine the queue and crowd in the service store which is giving Apple a really bad reputation.

Other people had to fix their phone as well as you. thats why the queue not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.