Apple Store Taxes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by manic, Oct 4, 2006.

1. manic macrumors regular

Ill be in the US (NY) next week and intend to finally switch, but heard that buying online is cheaper. Apparently, simply by buying from the physical store I'll pay a 11% tax which would not apply should I choose the online store.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Untrue. The Apple Store online charges sales tax based on the shipping address.

Amazon.com, however may not charge sales tax.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Can you also get a teacher discount at a Apple store, I always buy online...

4. AndyM macrumors member

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yes, you can. You need to make sure you have your ID with you.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I think that the sales tax of NYC is added to that of the state, so it's 8.625% + 5% and would be 13.625%. I could be and probably am wrong.

7. AndyM macrumors member

8. shambolic macrumors regular

I think they have it the wrong way round (should be 8.625% in the city, and 5% outside). In fact later in the above page it states as such.

You can probably save a few bucks by making the trip to NJ (where the tax rate is something like six or seven percent, though Governor Corzine might be revising that figure upwards as I speak), but if your time in NY is limited, it's not really worthwhile.

(And no, the rate is definitely not 13%, take it from someone who lives here..)

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Like I said, I was probably wrong. I thought that they may have listed the state sales tax and then the additional tax put on by NYC. You've got a cheaper tax there than we do in Chicago or even out in some suburbs. Absolutely redic.

10. AndyM macrumors member

Just hijacking this guys thread, Does it have to be an american Student ID? think i could use a british one?

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Suck it up, just be glad you don't have 25% VAT as we do here in Denmark ;)

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Our property taxes in Cook County are out the ass, too. So I'm sure when you factor in all the taxes on people in my county, it adds up to close to 25%.

13. manic thread starter macrumors regular

If I take my passport along with my boarding ticket, do I still have to pay the tax/ am elegible for a refund? thanks for all the help!

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You have to pay the tax no matter where you are from.

15. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Just for clarification, NYC sales tax is 8.375%, not 8.625%. It was lowered a few years ago.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Lets settle this:

1. Apple Retail Stores charge tax.
    2. Apple Online Store charges tax and shipping.
    3. Both Apple Retail and Online stores accecpt education discounts.
    4. Education discounts rarily make up for tax or shipping cost.

(my parents are both teachers, I live in NY)

If you are dead set on getting it today to go a Apple Store and use education discount.

If you want the most cost effective option (very sad) -- then go to a mail order place like MacWarehouse (are they CDW now?, MacMall or ClubMac.

While they do charge shipping cost you will probably get some free ram, printer, money off option which you should check out.

I wish apple gave more off for education... but they don't.

--MrMacMan

17. manic thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that amazon.com does not charge sales tax. This is my situation:

Ive been wanting to get a mac for ages now. Ill make a trip to the US (NY) (arriving sunday, 8th). I can either (i) walk into apples retail store and pay $1299+$100 tax or order it from amazon and pay $1299. However, what if the bloody Core2Duo Macbook gets released tuesday 10th? If I buy from the store, no problem, ill just return it in exchange for the new one. If I buy through amazon ill have to return it, but risk ending without my macbook because ill be leaving on the 15th.

If I buy from the retail store and open it only to learn they updated them the day after, can I exchange it free of charge? Will i find the new machines the day they are released, or are they usually out of stock during the first week?

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

generally speaking, if you've opened the box then you're facing a restocking fee if you want to return the computer

unfortunately, there's no way to predict if a new model is going to be in stock immediately and often it isn't.......for example, the recently released 24" imax didn't show up in my local apple store until more than a week after it was announced

19. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well if want to be correct then:

2. Free shipping (except express)
    3. Hardware only is eligible for EDU discount at the Retail stores. Hardware and Software is eligible if you order online.