Apple Store Top Ten Best Sellers??? iPod mini but no iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jholzner, Jan 17, 2004.

1. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I never really understood how Apple ranked these things. Yesterday the iTMS gif cert. were #1 and iPod #2. Today iPod mini is #1 but the iPod is not even in the top 10! So, did everyone on the planet stop buy iPods or what? Also, the G5 is listed in the top 10 twice (well, yesterday it was, not today). Perhaps apple just makes things up based on what they want people to think people are buying....who knows.

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

3. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

I had been watching for this update all last week. I agree that one must wonder how this ranking is managed.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, I can just see the next buzz about the iPod mini will be that Apple can't ship enough of them. What a far cry from all the whining about the price! My order still says: "Open est. ship 2/17/04" for personalized grey iPod mini.

4. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

My sister will be ordering a pink one come Tuesday (when her financial aid arrives). That's covered under educational necessities isn't it? :)

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Sorry, I know this topic has been exhuasted, butI don't see why anyone would want a mini ipod when you can get a new 10gb ipod for the same price.

6. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

I hope to be able to jog/run with it on my arm and not in my hand (as with my 30 GB iPod). It will hold my "Running Master Playlist" and any sub playlists I create and new music that I add and want to hear a lot at first. It is iTunes/AAC compatible and new sync options will allow smooth updates.

Not to be a slave to our Apple leader SJ, but I happen to fit his description of who would buy it: a current iPod owner and someone looking for high-end flash competitor. Anyway, I didn't find anything that would sync with iTunes/AAC in that market.

7. szark macrumors 68030

szark

The SportSuit Convertible case for the iPod 3G comes with an armband, if you wanted to use your current iPod.

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Part of me thinks this is as much a promotional tool as an informational tool.

People tend to follow groups, so if everyone was buying and iPod mini it would seem more acceptable to put down the cash over a regular iPod.

Just my theory, that its a marketing move at the same time as a "statistic"

9. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

Well, I personally wouldn't. But my sister will be upgrading from the org. iPod 5gig. She hasn't even filled that one yet but she thinks it is too heavy now (though not when she first got it) She likes the color and it's tiny size. She also said it would match her pink camera. So, no accounting for taste but she wants one so I don't ask questions.

10. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

Thanks. I actually own a Marware armband. My 3G will lock up with it. I understand that a hard drive cannot be jostled when it is reading the platter, and therefore I am taking a chance with the iPod mini. But in past forums, many people with 5 GB iPods claimed that it never got hung-up, while larger capacities did. SJ says we can use the iPod mini in more active situations and is selling the arm band to emphasize it. The test will begin about one month from today.

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

You should tell her to take a look at the new iPods. I know that they are significantaly smaller and lighter than the original ones.

12. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

Oh I have...her respone "but it's not pink" :)

13. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I have a 20 gig, 3G iPod that i use when i run with the belt clip that came with it and i don't have problems with it skipping or hanging up.

i make short playlists of about 10 songs ... so i guess thats the solutions since thats just enough to preload into the 36 MB memory ...

14. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

hehe... sisters are hard to negotiate with.:p

15. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Just as a reminder, there is no 10GB iPod. You can now get a 15 GB iPod for $50 more than the 4 GB iPod mini.

16. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I think some places are still selling their leftover 10gb ipod's.

17. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Ive been wondering about this list too. It just seems completely random, surely from a legal stand point it must have some link to reality though? I'd be interested to know how its actually worked out.
    You'd think the iPod would be constantly at No. 1 they would have to sell alot of iTMS gift certificates to outsell the iPod, judging from the recent quarter sales figures. Maybe they included the pepsi giveaway as gift certificates hahaha

18. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

For your information, the iPod -Mini is not on sale until April at Australia, even if I want to buy which I do... i have to wait until April... if the stocks are going to be okay by then...

19. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Obviously the counter gets reset every so often. "Every so often" may have been recently. Clearly, the iPod Mini is the #1-selling product since the last time the counters got reset. It makes sense to have reset the counters recently, what with the recent product releases.

I don't see why people are so incredulous that the iPod Mini holds the number one spot.

As for the thought that it's a promotional tool--DUH. Of course Apple wants to highlight their best-selling products--if it's popular with a million people there's a good chance I may like it too. Furthermore, if tons of people buy something it's probably a high quality product. Knowing that a product has a lot of satisfied customers (not valid in the iPod Mini's case yet) tells me something about the quality of the product itself.

20. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

The reason the iPod is no longer on the list is because iPod mini just started shipping to all the pre-orders..and Apple Rep at CompUSA said all resellers have ordered cases of iPod mini in all colours.
    He said they only ordered one case of the 15GB iPods...but none of the higher storage ver..since they got some in just after New Yrs.

Having five colours probably also means ordering 5 cases one for each colour.

I'm also sure overseas iPod resellers are now putting in their orders as well...so it's no surprise it's #1 right now.

21. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

22. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

maybe its based on amount of stock left in the warehouse - thats why the ipod is no1 and same for the iTMS Gift Certs.

23. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

So, what some of you are saying about the fact that the iPod went from #1 to not even on the top 20 since the intro. of the iPod mini are saying that this this is now out selling the iPod.

24. pdrayton macrumors member

Seeing how the list explicitly states, "Apple Store Top Sellers" it's clear that products shipped to other sales channels aren't included.

I would suspect, however, that this list includes what's selling at Brick and Mortar Apple Stores. If so, I don't think that's misleading.

And, of course it's a marketing tool! It gives us Apple customers ideas about new products that we might want, and helps Apple sell items that might not have sold had we not seen the list. A win-win for everyone.

As for iPod mini being #1, I'm not surprised. I'm one of those people for whom a 15GB iPod would be a waste of money. Why should I pay an extra $50 to get hard drive space I won't use in a unit that's bigger than I want?