Apple Store UK, TNT and Luxembourg Fun!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by oli.watts, Sep 17, 2003.

1. oli.watts macrumors member

Sep 17, 2003

Have been a keen browser of for *ages*, and love reading all the latest gen on Mac stuff, its even in my 'Regulars' tab in Safari :)

I love my powerbook and mac os x, but Apple UK are driving me *nuts*

I ordered the Keynote Presentation bundle on their site on the 2/9/03 (2nd Sept) and was charged for it on the 8/9.

The stuff hadn't arrived by the 10th, so I gave them a call. They told me it had been passed on to TNT late after their computers in Luxembourg (of all places) had gone down. I was given a consignment number and a phone number for TNT, which I dutifully rang.

For several days. Speaking to several people. With no success.

I then found that the products had been sat in Luxembourg for 4 days, waiting for Apple to fax over the customs manifest.

I ring Apple and tell them to get their finger out, and am promptly given *another* number (watch out for Apple RandNum v1.0 in your Software Update!) to track what's going on and am told that someone will call me back today (17/9), first thing.

I check the TNT site first thing today to discover it has now arrived in the UK, in the Stansted Hub (a London Airport). I ring Apple but am on hold for 30 mins, all the while listening to the increasingly annoying Enya, so eventually I give up.

I go grab some breakfast and come back, refresh the TNT page and it says the package has been delivered. I then ring TNT, speak to someone very helpful who gets back to me straight away, telling me the package has been delivered to my next door neighbor!!

I head over and pick up the parcel, open it up in excitement and....

There is no Keynote, just the wireless remote.

I have just rung Apple to tell them this, and I am hoping it all gets delivered today.

I have a major presentation to give at the end of September, and again at the end of October, and wanted to use Keynote due to Microsoft PowerPoint's constant crashing and refusal to look stylish :) Its sad that the company I have the most faith in has done this, considering I am a switcher as of last Christmas!

Well, that's my story, anyone else got any similar ones?

All the best,

p.s. anyone have the link to the PowerBook G5's on ;) (joke!)
  2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    I generally don't buy stuff direct from Apple because I have had an experience like that before. I sent my PowerBook G3 off to them a few years ago to get repaired. However, I left my new (at the time) Mac OS 8.5 disk in the drive. When I got the PB G3 back I found the disk was missing and there was nothing I could do to get it back. In the end I asked a family member who worked at a University to download it for me off the net and burn it to a disk.

I now go to my local Mac store in London if I want to get anything. If you need an education discount you can always order from in the future, they are often cheaper than the Apple store.

Although having said that, I order Mac OS X 10.2 only a few days before Christmas 2002 and got it in time for Christmas, even though it had to be shipped from Ireland.
  3. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    Wow i feel for you, i had exactly the same when i ordered my iPod, took ages to get here all the way from Taiwan! via Luxenburg, then Ireland...then Liverpool, then my house! drove me mental :(
  4. applelu macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2004
    Top of all

AppleStore doesn't send anything to consumers living in Luxemburg...

Only way to buy are others online shops or computer shop based in the country. This makes for example nearly impossible to get an engraved iPod, or a BTO Mac.